HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:45 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Going to APOGEE 2480mAH cells (5 pack in series and then another in parallel) will reduce the total weight 12 1/2 oz.

Each APOGEE 2480mAH, Li-POLY weighs 1.833 oz. so,

1.833 oz X 5 = 9.1667 oz.

Need another in parallel......2 X 9.1667 oz. = 18.33 oz.

Delta weight difference between the two battery technologies is.....

30.8 oz. (GP-3300) - 18.33 oz. (APOGEE 2480 Li-POLY)= 12.47 oz.

That's 2/3 of a pound (US) and will significantly improve wing loading and thereby performance.....but, these packs are very expensive.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:05 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,138 Posts
Carlos, all I can tell you is that you are most definitely on the right track to be considering not only a brushless set up but some lipo's to go with it. I never thought it was possible. As far as your specific choice, I'm not qualified to say. I am not a techie, but a firm believer in "do what worked for someone else." My only comment is that I think you may be putting too much stock in P-Calc. Yes, I understand that it's free, but it doesn't take the characteristics of the airframe into account in predicting actual performance. Some of the predictions I've gotten from P-Calc in the past have been pretty far off my real world experience. If you can get Moto-Calc (or find someone knowledgeable to do some Moto-Calc predictions for you), I think you will end up with more valuable information.

Now, if you want to just throw in the towel all together and go to Purple Power plus Thunder Power, then either my set up or Kelvin's would fly your plane just fine.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:14 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
You might look in the 'successful power systems' sticky in the power systems forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203529
I'm pretty sure you're not the first one to do a plane like this.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2003
136 Posts
I would look at the lithium cells at maxamps.com.
Here is the thread on the cells http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=maxamps.
They are cheap and have good ratings. I am using the gp3300 replacement lithium pack in a GWS C-47, long flights. Much cheaper than other lithium packs and similair or better performance. It looks like he can custom make packs too.

Just trying to help.
trafton is offline Find More Posts by trafton
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:33 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
You might look in the 'successful power systems' sticky in the power systems forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203529
I'm pretty sure you're not the first one to do a plane like this.
Actually, I am one that posted there as well I converted two Glow-To-Electric .40 2-stroke Glow Sport Trainers and I am familiar with Jim's conversions.

I unserstand that we could easily convert using someone else's setup but, my Mustang is somewhat different than Jim's except to say it has the same wing span. My Engine mounting is different, retracts are preinstalled etc....

We all have to be comfortable in what we pick for a brushless motor and I like the service at my Local Hobby Store and not everyone has the patience in waiting for it via the mail.....so, I personally like buying and supporting my local hobby store since they compete with the Internet sites very well....I will get what they stock...presently, HACKER, HIMAX, Astro Flight and AXI. I don't think they are carrying any MEGAs nor Averox anymore....

Carlos
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:39 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse
Carlos, My only comment is that I think you may be putting too much stock in P-Calc. Yes, I understand that it's free, but it doesn't take the characteristics of the airframe into account in predicting actual performance. Some of the predictions I've gotten from P-Calc in the past have been pretty far off my real world experience. If you can get Moto-Calc (or find someone knowledgeable to do some Moto-Calc predictions for you), I think you will end up with more valuable information.

Now, if you want to just throw in the towel all together and go to Purple Power plus Thunder Power, then either my set up or Kelvin's would fly your plane just fine.

Neil
Neil,

Thanks, I do understand that P-CALC and others such as "FREE" on-line Software motor/battery calculators are just that ....to me they are a quick and easy way to see if I am in the ball park and nothing more.

Li-POLYs are only saving me 12 1/2 oz. and sure every oz. counts in Electrics but, the GP-3300's provide very good AMP delivery and the estimated full up weight with the GP-3300's are just a tab over 6 lbs. as I understand the target weight.

Thanks for all your responses.
Carlos
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:50 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Really excited about this conversion....

I am really getting excited about this World Models Rockwell Int'L P-51D Glow-to-Electric conversion!

Oh, yes, my hobby store carries the CERMARK brushless motors as well. I had been looking at the CEM600-2 & -3.

Well, here's the HIMAX considered setup.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:57 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Take a look at the setup when swinging the APC "E" 14 X 10 prop. I will be able to throttle back a little....
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jan 20, 2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:47 AM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,688 Posts
Interesting... I have one of these planes sitting in my garage. Anyone know where I can get a new cowl for this bird?

I'm gathering that I will need to order it direclty from World Models. Yuk.

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:57 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP
Interesting... I have one of these planes sitting in my garage. Anyone know where I can get a new cowl for this bird?

I'm gathering that I will need to order it direclty from World Models. Yuk.

Ted
Ted,

No, from the distributor!
http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopdisplayprod...at=Plane+Parts