HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2005, 05:27 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
TEOR: Working from here. Are you still having problems?

I went to the LHS this morning and picked up some generic dubro landing gear. The downside to this is that it weighs a whopping 5.5oz. So, im going to attack it with a drill pretty soon. If the weather cooperates, flight tests later this week.
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2005, 05:44 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Hi Nihil,

I once build Poly Pusher with about the same pushrod configuration. Glass fiber pushrods are quite responsive and precise compared to the usual piano wire setup. The only problem I had was with the increased stress it puts on my HS81 when I had bad landings. I stripped a couple of servos before crashing it for good. Next time, I'll use a V-bend on the small piano wire tips to protect my servos.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Mar 02, 2005, 06:05 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Gwelan: I was pretty worried about that too, but the 'L' bent piece of wire has some give under heavy loads. I also put the hinges on the inside so that if the tail surfaces take a hit on landing, it would force them upwards and instead of stripping the servos the magnets will pop apart. They have a pretty good hold though, I dont see any problems with them coming apart in flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:09 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
[QUOTE=nihil]TEOR: Working from here. Are you still having problems?

It is fine now, much have been a server reboot or something.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:29 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
I have to admit that I forgot about the magnets...

You already did a neat job with this plane, Nihil.
We all are impatient to read the log of it's maiden flight.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Mar 03, 2005, 08:34 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
I am VERY antsy about the maiden on this thing. I ran some numbers, and the Axi-2212/26 looks like it will be "ok" for unloaded test flights, but I will definitely want something more powerful when I start loading it down with gear (but then anything under 1:1 is "questionable" in my eyes. ) I am also trying to find a way to mix in some mixed-elevator to the flap function of the flaperon mix to compensate for downward pitching while the flaps are extended. Any Futaba 7C ninjas out there?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2005, 08:51 AM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
...I am also trying to find a way to mix in some mixed-elevator to the flap function of the flaperon mix to compensate for downward pitching while the flaps are extended. Any Futaba 7C ninjas out there?
Not shure to be helpful, but you can ask.
Then I'll ask you some more details about the 'magnetic' links you made... very interesting!
Only a doubt about the inverted V tail: it seems to have a very small angle, less than 90. I'm afraid that th elevator woun't have too much authority.

Piero.
CANTZ506 is offline Find More Posts by CANTZ506
Old Mar 03, 2005, 08:58 AM
Glue can fix that.
Sunny Miami
Joined May 2004
1,192 Posts
nihil,
liked your other avitar best.

110 degrees is commonly accepted as best for the v-tail, as cantz506 is implying. what is you angle?

1:1 for a ap flyer? You want duration, primarily, yes?
Brutus is offline Find More Posts by Brutus
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:06 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTZ506
Not shure to be helpful, but you can ask.
Then I'll ask you some more details about the 'magnetic' links you made... very interesting!
Only a doubt about the inverted V tail: it seems to have a very small angle, less than 90. I'm afraid that th elevator woun't have too much authority.

Piero.
I'm asking I have the flaperons mixed using the standard flaperon function in the radio, assigned to the knob for adjustment, and the V-tail is mix using the built in V-tail function. In the programmable mixes, I am only seeing mixing between individual channels, and no way to mix between mixes. I would hate to think I've had this thing less than a year and already outgrown it.

And feel free to ask away about anything you have questions about as well.

About the V-tail, it is a 90deg configuration (+/- a couple deg for flexing), I can take some straight on pictures that show the angle better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:17 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
nihil,
liked your other avitar best.

110 degrees is commonly accepted as best for the v-tail, as cantz506 is implying. what is you angle?

1:1 for a ap flyer? You want duration, primarily, yes?
I read up on the wider V-tail angles, but for the sake of keeping it compact and to get more tail surface for the boom spacing, went with a 90deg tail. There is about 45deg of deflection in each direction for the tail control surfaces (90deg total travel). As soon as I get this LG finished up and the center skinned, I will post some better pictures and maybe some video of the surfaces operating.

As for 1:1, I just like lots of power, doesnt matter what its for

(edit: I like my other avatar too, but I wanted to wield the gummo bunny kid for a bit, it will likely switch back soon)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:33 AM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
....In the programmable mixes, I am only seeing mixing between individual channels, and no way to mix between mixes....
Yes, right, but I can't see why do you need those mixer... unless the already fixed mix FLP->ELE doesn't work, like on my F7!
With the V tail, I'm not sure that the three prog mixers can do the job.
I used two mixers to activate the flaps (OFS->ch1, OFS->ch6) and the third for the elevator(OFS->ch2); all activated by switch E (UP).
Hope that you fixed mixer works.

Quote:
About the V-tail, it is a 90deg configuration (+/- a couple deg for flexing), I can take some straight on pictures that show the angle better.
Thanks, but not necessary. I'd prefer better some more detailed picture of the links.
Thanks, Piero.
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:44 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Yes, right, but I can't see why do you need those mixer... unless the already fixed mix FLP->ELE doesn't work, like on my F7!
You know, I stared at FLP->ELE, even glazed over it in the manual, and it still didnt hit me. For some reason I assumed that such a feature wasnt part of the radio, and was intent on using programmable mixes. I just walked in the other room and within 30 seconds had the flap to elevator mixing set. Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks, but not necessary. I'd prefer better some more detailed picture of the links.
Thanks, Piero.
Which links?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2005, 09:55 AM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
You know, I stared at FLP->ELE, even glazed over it in the manual, and it still didnt hit me. For some reason I assumed that such a feature wasnt part of the radio, and was intent on using programmable mixes. I just walked in the other room and within 30 seconds had the flap to elevator mixing set. Thanks!

Which links?
You're lucky! It doesn't work on mine.

I'd like to know more about the system you used for the control of the tail planes; I couldn't see how the magnets are fixed to the clevis and the servo's arm.
I was also thinking about a detachable tail section, but could'nt find any good solution; yours seem to be VERY interesting!
Also the hinge between the tail's plane is very nice; I thought only to a tape hinge!
Old Mar 03, 2005, 10:51 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
You're lucky! It doesn't work on mine.

I'd like to know more about the system you used for the control of the tail planes; I couldn't see how the magnets are fixed to the clevis and the servo's arm.
I was also thinking about a detachable tail section, but could'nt find any good solution; yours seem to be VERY interesting!
Also the hinge between the tail's plane is very nice; I thought only to a tape hinge!
Here is a diagram of how the magnet linkages are built:

(edit) The 1mm CF pry bar is there to make it easier to disconnect the links when you disassemble the tail section. Another benefit to using magnets, is that there is no re-adjustment when you put it back together. The links automatically attach themselves to the same position it was in last time. No trimming issues

I really like those hinges too, I use them on most everything now. They give the control surface ~360deg of travel (minus the stop at the tail surface on each side) and keep everything nice and centered with no binding at all.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nihil; Mar 03, 2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:18 AM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
WOW! Now all is clear. Congratulation! This and the link on the other side are very smart solutions.
Which kind of magnets did you use?
They should a bit strong to cope with the control surface under load.