HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2005, 03:06 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan
Oh now I see who’s running the show
Ah yes, my faithful sidekick. The hairy one whose breath is something akin to the north end of a southbound pack mule.

Gwelan, you should see the transmitter im building into my shoe

ToyBoy, I couldnt even begin to estimate the cost on this one. Its a prototype though, and so naturally costs more than I anticipated. Figure less than $300 in materials, with a *lot* left over for other projects

I have already started the design of ap2, which may end up kitted if I can find a decent source for a few custom parts. It certainly wont be slowstick cheap, but it will use more OTS components, possbily larger in span, lighter airframe, able to carry heavier payload, and a lot easier to put together. If I can do it cheap enough, additional wing panel types might be an option as well. Straight, poly, different spans, different airfoils, etc... This is just planning stages though, if ap1 performs as expected, and I dont see much of a market for a collapsable airborne utillty type craft, I probably wont put much effort into ap2.

The lights from curtek showed up today, very nice looking kit. Now I can start wiring and get those wings covered.
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2005, 06:07 PM
Professional Poster
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Jul 2004
170 Posts
Lookin good.

What's the big CF hook-lookin-thing in the front of the plane for?
Transition is offline Find More Posts by Transition
Old Feb 14, 2005, 06:29 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transition
Lookin good.

What's the big CF hook-lookin-thing in the front of the plane for?
Needed somewhere to put the camera
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:20 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
No new construction progress, but I have been doing vibration tests with the camera on board, and weighing components to narrow down AUW. I am going to tentatively estimate 30-32oz with 6oz of camera gear on board. I also changed the lower dampening rings to a single slice of foam. I was getting slight vibrations at around 35% throttle (testing with an intentionally unbalanced prop), and now there are none at all, through the entire throttle range. Wingloading is looking like 7-7.4oz/sq.ft, and with flaps, I am quite happy with that number. Now I just need to take some time off work to finish building the silly thing
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2005, 01:28 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
No pictures, but I got the tail servos installed, and the radio programmed for both the V-tail and the flaperons. I am going to skin the wings without lights and get it in the air to do some flight tests, then worry about adding the lights and making it pretty. All thats left is attaching the control surfaces, skinning the wing panels, and finishing the landing gear (I might go ahead and make some snow skis for it the way the weather is looking around here).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2005, 03:29 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,574 Posts
NiHil,

When you get it together how about posting some spec's... All up weight, wing area etc. Very cool project, I guess I'll have to spruce up my Depron Dragon with a little more carbon fiber!??!

Very nice, keep it up!

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Feb 25, 2005, 05:02 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Thanks! And yeah, you might want to CF up that monster of yours, and make it fold up a lot smaller too

I skinned the outer wing panels and got the ailerons attached tonight, will probably do the center panel and tail surfaces tomorrow. Then I guess I will be forced to do the landing gear, and I say "forced" because the scroll saw I bought for this project SUCKS. Its called "red eye" from global machinery or central machinery or something, I got it at lowes. Biggest piece of crap *ever*. Anyway, I get to use this POS to cut out the landing gear. It averages about 2.5-3 inches of cut per (fine toothed spiral type) blade with the 0.055" CF sheet.

Specs so far are:
- 52" span, 12" (constant) chord
- 4.3333333333333 sq.ft. wing area (yes really)
- AUW ~32oz w/nikon 3700 camera
- ~7.38oz/sq.ft. wingloading
- flaperons+ v-tail control
- collapsable, CF+depron, etc....
- berg6 rx
- axi 2212/26 w/10x4.7 prop (to start with)
- kokam/worley 3s1p 2000mAh lipo (rated 20C discharge, 2C charge)
- phoenix25 ESC
- 4x HS-55 servos (5x including shutter release)
- 5V, 3A BEC
- two all beef patties
- and a partridge in a pear tree
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:42 AM
Bethel, Ohio USA (SE of Cincinnati)
Joined Dec 2004
227 Posts
Does the partridge affect the flight characeristics?
CanopicJar is offline Find More Posts by CanopicJar
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:50 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Nope, its just there for decoration, it hangs out on the pear scented "little tree" air freshener thats hanging off the rear view mirror.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:18 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
<filler post for those with posts-per-page set to 50 to keep from overloading with image loading>
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:23 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Woohoo, the forums are back. Here is an update.

Wiring, grommets, tape, and stuff:

Magnet control rod linkage:

Almost looks like a plane:

The belly of the beast:
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:53 PM
United States, OH, New Franklin
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
two all beef patties
I was hoping for a sesame seed bun option but....

Impressive work!
I am looking forward to hearing about the test flights.

Well, back to lurking
trashbug is offline Find More Posts by trashbug
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:22 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
trashbug: Thanks! I just hope the silly thing gets off the ground

I have received a few queries as to how I was going to facilitate the tail control surface linkages, and to be honest, until a couple hours ago I was wondering this myself. I had a general idea, but had not worked out exactly how I was going to make it happen. I knew I would want the shaft centered to eliminate slop, so I took some CF tube and balsa strips and made a guide of sorts:

Then spent some time plowing through a box of random parts, mostly dubro bits and found a ball link that I drilled out to accept some stiff wire (first run landing gear wire from a MIA hughes500 g10 frame/canopy set for a piccolo that I never used because the heli kept falling on its arse):

A dry fit:

Ta da:

Now all thats left before flight testing is landing gear, and slapping a skin on the center panel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2005, 01:36 PM
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
snip
Zodiac7 is offline Find More Posts by Zodiac7
Last edited by Zodiac7; Mar 02, 2005 at 01:39 PM. Reason: woops, wrong page. =)
Old Mar 02, 2005, 04:32 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Hey buddy, are the pics working?
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR