SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2005, 03:09 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwelan
The pink styrofoam has the best density/weight ratio for my projects. It's less brittle than the white foam, and lighter than the extruded foam.

-Wing chord is 9.5". (Same ugly wing but fitted with Wingrids)
-Overall wing surface will be still around 510 sq inch with Wingrids
-Typhoon15/13 and a 12/6 APC-E prop
-The V-tail is inverted in this twinboom version

I still have to find an accurate method to shape the 8 small wings for the Wingrids. The hot wire method is just not accurate enough for the job.
Have you thought about sandpaper? I havent tried it on the pink foam, but sanding depron and EPP isnt too bad.
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2005, 08:18 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
Have you thought about sandpaper? I havent tried it on the pink foam, but sanding depron and EPP isnt too bad.
I just cut some sturdy board bands. I will sand the bands to form -roughly- a leading edge, before giving the bands some airfoil-like curvature. I have to make a sort of gig to give all the 8 sturdy board bands the same curvature.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Feb 05, 2005, 01:22 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
The dreaded "middle" part of a build, where your initial enthusiasm has worn off, and you arent close enough to the end to get excited...

Got the tail boom receiver tubes mounted, stop rings mounted to the booms, and holes drilled for the retaining pin:

And retaining pins with CF spring type clips:

I have wrapped the booms, and the spars with tape to make things a snug, quiet fit. Still waiting on the lights from curtek to arrive before I can skin the wings. I think next will be mounting the tail servos, receiver, and whatnot, getting the tail linkage setup, and making the tail. Same bat time, same bat channel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2005, 11:19 PM View Post
ededge2002
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while ededge2002 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 06, 2005, 06:12 AM View Post
nihil
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while nihil edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 06, 2005, 09:15 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Little bit more done. Here is the hinge for the tail, 4 short sections of CF tube and a sanded down 2mm CF rod. I am going to leave the pin removable so the tail can come off in two pieces. The booms fit snugly into the receivers, and trying to get them both in at the same time would be quite a pain.

And the magnets on the tail servo arms. I added a 1mm CF rod to act as a pry bar of sorts to break the magnetic bond by rocking the servo side magnet back and away from the control rod magnet.

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2005, 02:56 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Finally starting to look the part (propped up for dramatic effect):

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:54 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Been real busy latey, no major progress, but I did get a motor mount done. When I sketched out the template, I lined up the holes wrong so the wires stick out to the side instead of down as I had intended, but I'll deal with it. If it gets to me that much, I can always make another one later.

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:53 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
and going and going and going.....

I re-drilled the motor mount so the wires would face down, that was bugging the hell out of me. Also got the mount for the pod done, with dampeners installed:

(ignore the paper template still on the mount, there are a couple more holes to drill)

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2005, 01:02 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Do de do de do...

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:13 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
All crammed into a tidy 16"x32"x4" package

Close up of the pod:

And one of the many reasons I never get anything done:
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2005, 09:36 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,854 Posts
Oh now I see who’s running the show
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:56 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Lol
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Feb 14, 2005, 01:12 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
It looks like the next James Bond suitcase kit.
Nice work "Q" !
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:13 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Looking nice, Nihil. What's your estimated cost of the airframe (including material offcuts)? I know nothing about what CF sheeting and Depron cost.
ToyBoy is offline Find More Posts by ToyBoy