HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2005, 01:00 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
I laminated the CF subframe to the depron wing section this evening. After it dried I decided to see how strong it was.

Each bottle weighs in at 741g:

For a grand total of 2,223grams(78.4oz), and it could easily have held more, but I didnt want to risk damaging it. With the main spar, ribs, skin, and pod frame in place, I think its going to be pretty solid
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2005, 03:33 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Been at it again. Not overly pleasant results this evening. The probond melted the depron enough so that the spars do not line up with the center section:

So, I had to scavenge the CF from the left wing panel:

And the edge on the right panel got banged up:

So, I need to make new outer wing panels, new ribs, and will probably end up using the 0.013" CF sheet to sit between the depron and the spars so it will line up properly with the center section, and use 3m77 instead of probond. The good news is, I got the spar attached to the center section:

And its quite strong, 12 bottles at 741g each puts it at 8,892g (313.65oz) and not even breaking a sweat:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2005, 03:41 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Very Impressive! Now if the plane will carry that much weight I'll really be impressed.

Sorry to hear about the wing panels though.
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:46 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
I cut new outer wing panels, and increased the overall span to 52". Here is a dry fit with mock-up of a tail:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:04 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Made some progress on the wing panels this evening.

I also cut out some new ribs. These have a lower profile than the previous ribs, and since I decided to uppercut the aquilla airfoil, I made the leading edge a bit more rounded to accomodate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2005, 07:17 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
How are you locking the panels? Looks Great!

Matt
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:12 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFEVER
How are you locking the panels? Looks Great!

Matt
I plan to use magnets on the joining ribs for each section, these will also double as contacts for running lights if I can find some ultra bright LEDs by the time I skin it over.

Actually, I am also pondering adding ailerons, but...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:31 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Without dihedral and no ailerons, turning will be a problem with just the rudder.
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:56 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
Without dihedral and no ailerons, turning will be a problem with just the rudder.
The V-tail arrangement should make it a bit easier, but just in case I added about 3deg of polyhedral when I mounted the spars. The sheet on the outer panels is only 0.013" thick, and between the CF sheet and the spars, there is balsa strips sanded into a wedge/door stop shape. Not a lot, but it should help. I still might go ailerons anyway though, I much prefer having positive roll control.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:26 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Been pondering the aileron thing, and ive decided to use them. Since I have to use separate servos because of the wing configuration, that will give me the ability to mix them in as flaperons to slow it down to a crawl. With the lower profile wing providing better penetration and the addition of flaps, it should be suited to a wider range of situations.

Anybody know where I can find some wide angle super/ultra bright LEDs in 5V ~20mA? I need red, green, white, and UV
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2005, 07:02 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,994 Posts
Have you tried a set of Curteks?
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:40 AM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Try superbrightleds.com.... you have to add resistors (or use LEDs in series pairs) to get the volts right.

I am designing the same plane, without the frills. My design specs are as follows:

AUW 20-22oz
Loading at 6oz/sqft
48in Wing with 11in chord, depron

I am trying to make my Frog design into about 160% scale, twin spar design.
For cheap propulsion I'm considering a 350C with D gear and EP1170 prop. GWS specs this at 375g of thrust, and I'm worried it's not enough. I want to be able to haul up a 113g cam and downlink etc.

Maybe post sketches later (basically the same as Nihil's). Am having the same dihedral vs. ailerons debate in my head.

Would love to hear ideas for a brushed motor for this thing to slowfly?
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:01 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan
Have you tried a set of Curteks?
Just ordered a set, those are cool lights
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:26 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBombDave
Maybe post sketches later (basically the same as Nihil's). Am having the same dihedral vs. ailerons debate in my head.

Would love to hear ideas for a brushed motor for this thing to slowfly?
I have decided to go with ailerons(flaperons), the wind around here is too gusty and unpredictable to not have them, and I didnt build enough polyhedral into the wing to go without.

Dont know what a good brushed setup would be, I have officially decided that brushed motors are evil
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:05 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,994 Posts
Nihil,

You won’t be sorry they rock. You can comfortable fly just as well at night as during the day. I went for a scale look but you would be better off to have the light’s shine on the plane some. P.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan