HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:37 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFEVER
That looks awesome! Where do you get the CF? Can't wait to see it all finished.

BTW, how much $ is going into this, as far as materials?

Matt
Thanks. I get my CF from a few different places. The sheets come from Sierra Composites, the small tubes and rods (as well as the depron) came from R/C Specialties, and the arrow shafts came from a local sporting goods store (Carbon Express CX300 model).

As for its cost, I prefer not to think about things like that A similar plane could be built a lot cheaper than this, I just happened to have a bunch of CF at hand, and well, I *really* like carbon fiber
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:05 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Wow!

What is the thickness of your CF sheet?

I like the CF too!

Matt
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:32 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Wow!

What is the thickness of your CF sheet?

I like the CF too!

Matt
The piece you see above is 0.020", and the camera/battery pod will be made out of either 0.032", 0.055", or a combination of both. Compartment doors for electronics and linkage access will probably be made out of 0.013" sheet.

I have decided to add an uppercut to the lower leading edge of the airfoil to help it penetrate the wind better. I will also be covering the wings in some sort of film covering to make it nice and slippery. I am thinking red and yellow bands around the wings and tail (one color per side), with it fully covered in a clear to let the grey depron show through.

I have even given thought to adding ultrabright LED running lights before I glue the skins on, using the magnets as contact points so there arent any plugs to deal with when disassembling.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:50 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
I like that grey depron too. It will look great with clear covering and the red/yellow bands. Man, lights too! This is some build!

With all you have invested in this, have you started an AP business? Or, is this just a passion?

Thanks for posting the sierra composites site!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:11 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
I like that grey depron too. It will look great with clear covering and the red/yellow bands. Man, lights too! This is some build!

With all you have invested in this, have you started an AP business? Or, is this just a passion?

Thanks for posting the sierra composites site!
I havent really invested all that much in it, mostly time in the planning stages. The only material I bought just for this project was the depron and the arrow shafts (I had been meaning to get arrow shafts anyway though). I got the sheet, rods, and tubes for several different projects. While I have not yet started an AP business, I do have one client lined up, but I am outfitting a VoyagerE electric heli for that job. This plane is being built for personal use, but will likely be used for any business use that may be better suited to fixed wing than rotorcraft.

The funny part is, the only successful AP pictures ive ever taken, were taken in my livingroom from an overloaded Piccolo micro heli. All my previous attempts for outdoor AP have met with an aircrafts demise (and one really dorked up camera). I got a SlowStick a while back with the intention of strapping a camera to it and using it for AP, but after assembling the plane and a few test flights, I found it was not quite what I wanted. Hopefully this plane will be the fix.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:32 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
LoL! I am ordering my Voyager this week!! This will be my first heli, and I intend to outfit it for AP as well! If you can offer me any suggestions that would be great! Maybe even PM me some pics of your setup! Provided you have time of course!

I am planning on running a Hacker C40 8L, CC 60 esc, 3s3p lipo, JR G410T gyro...etc.....

That's funny about your living room AP. Wish I could have seen that loaded up Piccolo!

Which camera will you be using in your new plane?

Sorry for all these questions, your posts are interesting though.

Matt
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:19 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
LoL! I am ordering my Voyager this week!! This will be my first heli, and I intend to outfit it for AP as well! If you can offer me any suggestions that would be great! Maybe even PM me some pics of your setup! Provided you have time of course!

I am planning on running a Hacker C40 8L, CC 60 esc, 3s3p lipo, JR G410T gyro...etc.....

That's funny about your living room AP. Wish I could have seen that loaded up Piccolo!

Which camera will you be using in your new plane?

Sorry for all these questions, your posts are interesting though.

Matt
The Voyager is in pieces at the moment, not too much to look at. I may end up making some new CF side plate frame pieces for it to make mounting the camera and balancing it a bit easier.

Here is the Piccolo with camera:

And a shot facing the big mirror over the fireplace. You can see my head in the background:

(Edit: I never noticed this before, but you can see the shadow of one of the rotor blades on the ceiling in this pic )

Both the Voyager and this plane will be carrying a Nikon 3700 until I get a better idea of how much payload they can comfortably handle. In the future a 7megapixel or better camera will be an option.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nihil; Jan 17, 2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:36 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Cool plane.

Where did you get all this CF?

-Burg
600Burger is offline Find More Posts by 600Burger
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:39 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Burger
Cool plane.

Where did you get all this CF?
Thanks, here is the earlier post about the CF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
Thanks. I get my CF from a few different places. The sheets come from Sierra Composites, the small tubes and rods (as well as the depron) came from R/C Specialties, and the arrow shafts came from a local sporting goods store (Carbon Express CX300 model).

As for its cost, I prefer not to think about things like that A similar plane could be built a lot cheaper than this, I just happened to have a bunch of CF at hand, and well, I *really* like carbon fiber
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2005, 05:36 PM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
What type of camera is that,mounted to the piccolo? A Casio?

I wouldn't mind hauling up a 7mp camera either!

Nice pics! Hey is that a Gargoyle on the mantle or a Pug with wings?

Matt
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:25 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
What type of camera is that,mounted to the piccolo? A Casio?

I wouldn't mind hauling up a 7mp camera either!

Nice pics! Hey is that a Gargoyle on the mantle or a Pug with wings?

Matt
The camera is a Che-ze!Foxz2 ($100 cheapie from Target), its a 2megapixel that weighs in at 56g. And yes, thats a gargoyle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:49 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
How well does that little camera work?
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:52 PM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
The Voyager is in pieces at the moment, not too much to look at. I may end up making some new CF side plate frame pieces for it to make mounting the camera and balancing it a bit easier.

Both the Voyager and this plane will be carrying a Nikon 3700 until I get a better idea of how much payload they can comfortably handle. In the future a 7megapixel or better camera will be an option.
What do you have in mind for a mount? Will it be CF too?

Matt
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:25 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
How well does that little camera work?
Its not too bad. It stores the images in a proprietary format, and you have to use the supplied photo program to convert them to something usable. But at 2megapixel and 56grams, its not too bad even for a CMOS (uses the SMaL Autobrite hardware).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:26 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
What do you have in mind for a mount? Will it be CF too?

Matt
Of course
RCG Plus Member