HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2005, 10:27 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
Thats a fine battery cooling solution in my book
Errr... yeah! Heatsink! Did I say ballast? I meant heatsink!
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2005, 03:49 AM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Nice video Nihil; congratulations!
But if you want to do really AP, you should fly a little bit higher!
CANTZ506 is offline Find More Posts by CANTZ506
Old Mar 08, 2005, 02:09 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTZ506
Nice video Nihil; congratulations!
But if you want to do really AP, you should fly a little bit higher!
Yeah some altitude would be nice

I only had about a 20 minute window to get it done, and part of that was spent driving around looking for a new park because the one I regularly use was overrun by some little people in colored shirts kicking some sort of spherical object around the runway. I could have taken out 8 or 10 of them, but they numbered closer to 40-60 and could easily have overpowered me, so I had to fly elsewhere. With the weather going bad for the next few days, and limited availability of the camera man, I figured a short maiden hop was better than having to wait another week or so.

While the weather is windy and rainy, I will be building a new pod and landing gear setup, finishing the foam camera bay (think nerf football with a lens poking out of one end), toning down the flaps so I have some roll control while theyre extended, and probably going to pick up a new guitar case to gut for transport.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2005, 10:19 PM
Making gravity dramatic
United States, WI, Peshtigo
Joined Sep 2004
212 Posts
nihil, I just watched the video (I've been lurking for a few weeks watching the progress). Very nice job and ingenious design.

If you don't have an opportunity to kit it offering the plans (for sale or otherwise) would be a nice option. I know you'd have at least one customer

Once again, tremendous job. I can't wait to see the AP shots.

-Brad
AugerIn_ is offline Find More Posts by AugerIn_
Old Mar 08, 2005, 11:54 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
I've seen those groups of rogue little people kicking about the strange round thing at some of my flying fields lately, too. And then there are some bigger people who I've caught trying to kick odd egg-shaped objects between the two upright metal posts which mark the end of my runway at another field. It's very annoying.

Very impressive effort, nihil. The movie worked for me. DivX codec required, people, come on!
ToyBoy is offline Find More Posts by ToyBoy
Last edited by ToyBoy; Mar 09, 2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2005, 05:36 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
781 Posts
well, he did show us the wing-mounted cluster bombs previously. I would have thought some area-clearance fragmentation would have sorted the knee-biters out a bit!
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Mar 09, 2005, 05:57 AM
Glue can fix that.
Sunny Miami
Joined May 2004
1,192 Posts
how about tricycle gear. solves sthe nose in probs.
Brutus is offline Find More Posts by Brutus
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:24 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
R. I. P.

AP1 has gone to the great hangar in the sky. I loaded it down with camera gear this morning, and went to cram in some flight time and hopefully get a shot or two for the shootout. With the extra weight (about 44oz AUW for this flight) and slightly higher winds than its maiden flight, the little axi just didnt have the juice to get it airborne. It can be fixed, but I am not going to. It was a prototype, it got in a few good flights, I learned from it. Root cause is pilot error, I made the choice to fly it in a severely underpowered state (as mentioned before, the 2212/26 has a "recommended" weight range of 300-700g, I had it closer to 1200g). The camera and all other gear survived.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:26 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Got any pics of the demise?

I can't get over the amount of time you put into it, let alone the investment, only to walk away from it!! I would be glad to take it off your hands and put it to use!!! I have glue and some idle motors!! hehe

Matt
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:22 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
I didnt take any pictures of it before I started ripping the gear out. All thats left is piles of CF, depron, and electronics. As for walking away, its easy, thats how you move on to bigger and better things. To be honest, I didnt expect it to fly nearly as well as it did during the first few unloaded flights. Luckily, I found its limits without destroying the nikon.

I am going to re-use some of the parts for ap2, the tail assembly being the main thing (with different surfaces). I have started designing some of the parts for ap2 in a CAD program, and am looking for a place to CNC cut some EPP wing cores (suggestions welcome). The configuration and dynamics will be based heavily on ap1, but the construction method will change quite a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:12 AM
USA, WA, Wenatchee
Joined Feb 2003
95 Posts
Wing Cores

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
and am looking for a place to CNC cut some EPP wing cores (suggestions welcome). The configuration and dynamics will be based heavily on ap1, but the construction method will change quite a bit.

Just get wing cores (10 inch cord) from George at NastyToes

http://nastytoesaviation.com/browse_...s/0/Name/Wings

I'm working on plane built with these right now. Its about as easy as it comes.

Don
raydon_12 is offline Find More Posts by raydon_12
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:05 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Looks like they only offer EPS, and I am pretty set on using EPP for the next version, and would need a larger chord to maintain the aspect ratio anyway. The eppler197 is nice, but I am thinking either clark-z or sd8040 since it wont be used for aerobatics. What kind of plane are you building?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:06 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Did I read correctly on your site about that plane being able to carry a 10lb payload? What are the specs on that monster? Wingspan/area/loading?
Yes, you read correctly! 80" wingspan 1280 sq" powered with an OS 91 FX 2 stroke. More info here
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:27 PM
USA, WA, Wenatchee
Joined Feb 2003
95 Posts
Planes

Quote:
Looks like they only offer EPS, and I am pretty set on using EPP for the next version, and would need a larger chord to maintain the aspect ratio anyway. The eppler197 is nice, but I am thinking either clark-z or sd8040 since it wont be used for aerobatics. What kind of plane are you building?
I'm working on a semi=scale P-61. I wish it was EPP too, oh well.

My AP platform is a home built and a dynaflight butterfly, kit bashed of course.

Don
raydon_12 is offline Find More Posts by raydon_12