HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:43 PM
I thought it was charged!
Westchester County
Joined Jan 2005
113 Posts
My first flight!! First crash also

Today was my first flight. I had my dragonfly higher than my house! I had it hovering for about 10 seconds. Woohooo ... Then it went a little nuts because the tail rotor fell off and the heli slammed into my car .car is ok.lol But it did feel real good. I am glad I bought two spare parts of everything. Not to bad of a smash..the main rotating head and rotary air foil head are done.. Well just wanted to share that..
spyder6166 is offline Find More Posts by spyder6166
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:57 PM
Phoenix Az
Joined Dec 2004
67 Posts
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! I can feel for you......in my case my BBQ jumped out in front of my heli!
Mindcrime is offline Find More Posts by Mindcrime
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:02 PM
Westchester County
Joined Jan 2005
113 Posts
Nice ....Barbecued Heli.. Yum ! Ok im back together again and ready to go try another flight...
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:02 PM
Coventry
Joined May 2004
268 Posts
I hate that immovable furnature just at the most inoppertune moment jumping out infront of your heli. I have had a wall, chair, ceiling light shade small table, and couple of family members jump out infront of my heli
davidcollins001 is offline Find More Posts by davidcollins001
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:20 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
lol, why are you taking it that high on your first flight
STaNgXs is offline Find More Posts by STaNgXs
Old Jan 15, 2005, 04:12 PM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
I still have a vivid memory of bouncing my AeroHawk off our newly refurbished greenhouse.

My wife and I had spent DAYS (and I mean MANY DAYS) stripping the glass, scraping old putty, sanding, restaining and refitting the glass. She'd probably done two or three times as much work on it as me.
One of the few times that my thoughts during a crash were NOT concentrated on how much damage the heli would sustain but more on how much I would sustain if I smashed a bunch of glass and had to explain the wreckage to my wife

Final tally was a broken CF leg strut and an unscathed greenhouse thanks to some skillful last minute avoidance (i.e. pull back on EVERYTHING). Of course if I really WAS that skillful I'd not have gone NEAR it in the first place.
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:55 AM
Westchester County
Joined Jan 2005
113 Posts
trust me, I did not mean to take it that high but Dang thing was so hard to control I shot that high because I was gonna crash, so I figured shooting up will give me some time to take control back. But Then the tail motor just flew off due to those little rubber sleeves not holding it at high rpm. Not to mention I bought a cheap clone (was not my intention) so this will be my practice heli. =)
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:41 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
I kinda have the opposite philosophy on crashes...

Given a choice between an imminent crash from 5 ft or a possible crash from 30 ft, I'll take the 5 ft. Especially if it's a fixed pitch heli - the head will pop off or whatever, but it will sustain very little damage.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:43 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Lol. I would kak myself is I flew into my car.

When I was learning I just dropped it to the ground the moment I lost control. No damage what so ever. Trying to fly out of trouble is the worst thing you can do as a beginner.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Jan 16, 2005, 03:20 PM
Essex
Joined Jan 2005
140 Posts
Bought a Plasma Tv ..loved it Then bought a Twister heli....can you see where this is going??? And flew it straight into the TV.. That feeling... what a feeling... Try telling the company " My helicopter flew into it"....See what they say!!

laity.
laity is offline Find More Posts by laity
Old Jan 16, 2005, 03:37 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Nov 2004
273 Posts
Just don't fly it into your self.... Crashed once into my legs trying to recover, yea oops... Only hurt for a moment. later.
ol boy is offline Find More Posts by ol boy
Old Jan 16, 2005, 06:50 PM
goin' postal on my heli..
Glastonbury CT
Joined Jan 2005
418 Posts
I figured out that the reason why you have to constantly be in control of the heli
is either the wind or the wind it creates...
At low altitudes the heli is even affected by its own downwash...
so my questions is this....
Is it easier on a calm day to hover it on a higher altitude?
Lino is offline Find More Posts by Lino
Old Jan 16, 2005, 07:15 PM
Central Valley California
Joined Jan 2005
132 Posts
Lino, listen to me carefully.

Go in your garage, spin up your rotors and try to keep the heli in one spot on the floor. After each successfull battery charge, move up to a higher throttle position each battery charge untill you can get the heli off the ground and still keep it in that same spot in your garage. You wont need any spare parts to do this.

With the right amount of throttle, your heli will be light on its skids and be a challenge to fly without ever leaving the ground. If you can't keep your heli in one spot while it is on the ground than you can't keep it in one piece in the air.
Iguana is offline Find More Posts by Iguana
Last edited by Iguana; Jan 16, 2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 07:27 PM
goin' postal on my heli..
Glastonbury CT
Joined Jan 2005
418 Posts
yes how right you are, but everytime I steer in a derection Im afraid it tips over...
Lino is offline Find More Posts by Lino
Old Jan 16, 2005, 08:12 PM
Central Valley California
Joined Jan 2005
132 Posts
You have trainer gear right?
Iguana is offline Find More Posts by Iguana