SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2002, 03:52 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Too Windy in Texas: Need Heavier Trainer

The wind blows too much here. The winds are always around 15
My Wattage Impress is a little skitish in the wind at least for my skill level. I'm frustrated because I havn't been able to fly in a couple of weeks.

Can anyone suggest a decent trainer, with ailerons, in the 3 to 4lb range? I read an article in the January 2002 Electric Flight International magazine about the electric conversion of a plane called the Uno-Wot. Powered with a Speed BB 600 and 2.8:1 gearbox using 10 cells 3000. This sounded like the perfect plane for this area. Can anyone recommend a similar design that is available in the US? I'd prefer a tail dragger ARF but will build if there is no other option.

Thanks

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2002, 07:36 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
one more option:
I'll build it for ya!

So your looking for a plane to use the same (or similar too) power system my shrike uses?

I'll look around and send you some links

Shawn
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer
Old Mar 10, 2002, 07:46 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2001
80 Posts
Shawn,

What power setup do you use for your Shrike? How do you like it?

Thanks,
Mark
Marksl is offline Find More Posts by Marksl
Old Mar 10, 2002, 08:17 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
The purple one? (just kidding)

The .40 size that blew up today, (see forthcoming post in open discussion about what really happened!) uses the famed and rare endoplasma car motor (similar to sp600) but there are available and other options as well, if my secret source fails. The also famed but very available Great planes electrifly sp600 gearbox with the optional 12 tooth pinion gear, to make a 3.8:1 ratio. Then depending on the plane, 7 to 10 CP1700's or preferably CP2400's.

Motor - $20+
gearbox w/ extra pinion - $22
CP2400's ~$3.50 each
40-50A ESC, ~$50

Powering a .40 size plane with a $20 motor......... Priceless!

Shawn
Old Mar 10, 2002, 08:27 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2001
80 Posts
I own a Endoplasma, and keep it under lock and key.

I'll have to get a Shrike now! I do like the design...

Mark
Marksl is offline Find More Posts by Marksl
Old Mar 10, 2002, 08:40 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
"the shrike family"

so nice, I had to build all thrice!
Old Mar 10, 2002, 09:02 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Feb 2002
10 Posts
kelvin,

I'm in the same boat as you, bud! As a fellow Texan (North Dallas), I often find that the winds around here don't cooperate with my small electric planes. I usually have to resort to flying my 5+ pound Duraplane gasser just to get some "stick time".

Anyhow, I totally sympathize!

-Dale
dkapinus is offline Find More Posts by dkapinus
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:42 AM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
I must agree about the wind. So far this year it has been absolutely relentless. Usually not even 1 day out of the week has been calm. Sometimes at dawn or at dusk there is a window of opportunity, but it closes fast!

Is it like this all year long, or will the winds subside in the spring and summer time?

Good Luck!

RPatrick
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old Mar 11, 2002, 11:14 AM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
My LT-25 is happy enough most the time here is Houston, AF15 geared and 16 cells. Much of flying in the wind is the pilot comfort level and how gusty it is. I haven't been flying the last couple of weekends with 20+mph and gusty. It is possible to fly in these conditions just not very fun, every most the people with big planes go home.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old Mar 11, 2002, 12:44 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Welcome to Real World, Tex,

That's why I end up flying a slimer most of the time. I don't have an e-plane heavy enough to stand all the wind we have here .
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Mar 11, 2002, 01:50 PM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
554 Posts
Hi kelvin

I know just how you feel, its very windy where Iím at, 15 to 20mph is very typical. So Iím building a new plane designed to handle it, should be in the air in a few more weeks. There are a lot of things that make a plane better in the wind, but the big 2 are power and wing loading, you want more of both. One option would be to get a high wing sport/trainer designed for a speed 600 on 7 or 8 cells and use the Endo/gearbox/10cell combo in it with a 12x8, that should cover the power and add a little to the wingload. I would think you will want a wing load some were around 15 to 20 oz/ft maybe higher, so you might want to clip the wing a little too. And while there is no down side to more power, there is with more wingloading, namely higher stall speed, this can make landing a bit tricky. To remedy this I would suggest a model with full span ailerons so you can mix in a bit of flaperons, or a big field with a long approach.

Gary
All__talk is offline Find More Posts by All__talk
Old Mar 11, 2002, 01:59 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Can you recommend a kit or ARF or even an IC to electric conversion kit or ARF? I can't scratch build, being new and not having a lot of tools and space. Thanks.

Kelvin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by All__talk
[B]Hi kelvin

I know just how you feel, its very windy where Iím at, 15 to 20mph is very typical. So Iím building a new plane designed to handle it, should be in the air in a few more weeks.
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Mar 11, 2002, 04:49 PM
Making Cuisinarts Fly!!!!
Richardson, Texas
Joined Dec 2001
298 Posts
I fly in Carrolton.

I have a FVK Prima with a 4:1 gb running a speed 400. It flies great up to 20 MPH winds. I have had it up for over half an hour without thermalling.

Also a stock 400x can handle the same winds.

Last my Corona heli and my viper twin do fine at this wind level.

All of these planes seem to like the wind. The only thing that doesn't is my face! After several hours of flying I look like a racoon!

Winds use to scare me. Now I think of it more than a challenge.
RCAddict is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict
Old Mar 11, 2002, 05:23 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Feb 2002
10 Posts
RCAddict,

I'm right up the road from Carrolton. Where in Carrolton do you fly at? I'd like to find a place to fly that's closer to me to fly my electrics (if the wind ain't too bad ).

Thanks!

-Dale
dkapinus is offline Find More Posts by dkapinus
Old Mar 12, 2002, 12:21 AM
Making Cuisinarts Fly!!!!
Richardson, Texas
Joined Dec 2001
298 Posts
Crosby and Luna.

There is an industrial park with a couple of open lots. There is also a flood control dam operated by the Valwood improvement authority. It makes a good area to "slope" off of. When the winds come in from the south it gives pretty good lift.

There seems to be someone always out there on a nice day.
RCAddict is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict