HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:47 PM
FUBAR
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Rant
Advice for new plane & radio?

Hi, I bought a basic plane last summer, and this summer I have the kyosho spree sports EP ARTF in mind, anyone recommend this for a next-step plane and do you think it will support a 15gram video camera?

My last radio was shabby one that came with the RTF plane, having only 300 ft range on it with a full battery, i think this was a little short range.

I'm getting all the recommended parts etc... for the new plane, which includes a Futaba 4VF Tx set, anyone know the average range of this radio and if it's any good?

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Phantasm141 is offline Find More Posts by Phantasm141
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:10 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
The 4VF is a full range raido. Farther than you can see. Are you buying new? If so the Hitec Laser 4 is a better deal with the small receiver and servos.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:19 PM
FUBAR
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
The 4VF is a full range raido. Farther than you can see. Are you buying new? If so the Hitec Laser 4 is a better deal with the small receiver and servos.
Yer I'm buying new, the plane needs micro/nano servos though, does the Laser4 come with them?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:46 PM
FUBAR
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Looks like the 4VF has been discontinued according to the futaba site!!!
That laser4 looks pretty good for the 90 price, not sure about the servos, even if they are big they should fit but i want to conserve space and weight due to the camera being fitted at some point.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:00 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
don't rule out the futaba 14mz... it's a radio you can grow with
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:27 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
don't rule out the futaba 14mz...
If that's the radio I'm thinking of, you can buy a Hitec Eclipse 7 and build & equip 7 nice planes for the same amount of money.

I'm not sure I'd want a radio with Microsoft Windows CE in it anyway:

Quote:
Do you want to pull up? Y
Are you sure you want to pull up? Y
If you pull up now, all downward motion will be lost. Do you want to continue? Y!!!
Invalid entry. Please select either Y or .....
**CRUNCH** <--the sound of the TX hitting the ground at the same time as the plane.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:35 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
The Laser 4 glider comes with 3 HS-81 micro servos and the 555 micro rx. If you plan to remotely actuate the camera you will need another channel. If it is a timer type camera you will be OK. I would suggest getting at least a six channel computer if you plan to stay with the hobby. I am looking for one now. Like the Optic 6 but it is so new I don't know much about it yet. Also looking at the 6EXA Futaba which my brother has and he likes it a lot.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Last edited by bildo baggins; Jan 14, 2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:53 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,973 Posts
Quote:
I am looking for one now. Like the Optic 6 but it is so new I don't know much about it yet.
Look for an Eclipse-7 on sale. It's an excellent radio and a known performer. I've seen them on sale with Spectrum Module for $190-200 which is only $20-30 more than the Optic-6.

I like my Eclipse-7 but I think I'm going to upgrade to a Multiplex Royal Evo 9. I played with one at the AMA Convention and simply fell in love with it. A 20-model memory is much more my speed and I haven't held a radio yet that feels as good in my hands.

Heck, bildo, maybe I'll sell you my Eclipse-7.

Pete
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:54 PM
FUBAR
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
If that's the radio I'm thinking of, you can buy a Hitec Eclipse 7 and build & equip 7 nice planes for the same amount of money.

I'm not sure I'd want a radio with Microsoft Windows CE in it anyway:

**CRUNCH** <--the sound of the TX hitting the ground at the same time as the plane.

Pete
LMAO, that sounds like a damn expensive Tx kit, 7 channels as well, are you being serious that it runs winCE?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:57 PM
FUBAR
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Look for an Eclipse-7 on sale. It's an excellent radio and a known performer. I've seen them on sale with Spectrum Module for $190-200 which is only $20-30 more than the Optic-6.

I like my Eclipse-7 but I think I'm going to upgrade to a Multiplex Royal Evo 9. I played with one at the AMA Convention and simply fell in love with it. A 20-model memory is much more my speed and I haven't held a radio yet that feels as good in my hands.

Heck, bildo, maybe I'll sell you my Eclipse-7.

Pete
That's the kind of price I'm lookin for, Trying not to spend more than 100 on my radio, as I have to buy micro servos if they don't come with the radio. I thought that eclipse7 would have cost much more than you say.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:04 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm141
I have the kyosho spree sports EP ARTF in mind, anyone recommend this for a next-step plane and do you think it will support a 15gram video camera?
I've never owned a Spree Sport but I have flown a couple. It's a very capable plane and it flies like it's on rails. As long as you didn't load it down with heavy components and batteries, it should carry a 15g camera just fine although I'm not sure I'd choose one as an AP platform. They're a fairly fast plane and better suited for sport flying and intermediate aerobatics.

At least that's my recollection.

Pete
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:13 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,973 Posts
Quote:
I thought that eclipse7 would have cost much more than you say.
Mine cost $200.00 out the door complete with Spectrum Module but no receiver/servos. I got it from a local hobby shop during a no-tax inventory reduction sale. They were actually asking $219 but he dropped the price to $200 even to keep me from shopping around.

Not sure what Hitec prices are on other continents but here in the States, it's usually fairly easy to find them for around the same money.

Pete
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:07 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
That's the kind of price I'm lookin for, Trying not to spend more than 100 on my radio, as I have to buy micro servos if they don't come with the radio. I thought that eclipse7 would have cost much more than you say.
The eclipse7 is showing its age. For fixed frequency, I can recommend the optic6 for $130 or the Futaba 7C for $150. By the way, I just bought a Optic6 with spectra module at the special price of $167 shipped from rcworldofplanes. After doing much research, I ruled out the eclipe7 for a new radio. If you have any specific question about the optic6, just ask.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Jan 15, 2005, 06:21 AM
FUBAR
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
The Laser 4 glider comes with 3 HS-81 micro servos and the 555 micro rx. If you plan to remotely actuate the camera you will need another channel. If it is a timer type camera you will be OK. I would suggest getting at least a six channel computer if you plan to stay with the hobby. I am looking for one now. Like the Optic 6 but it is so new I don't know much about it yet. Also looking at the 6EXA Futaba which my brother has and he likes it a lot.
The camera will be a wireless video cam linked to my laptop, so i dont think i need so many channels is necessary for the radio, but like u said, it's about sticking with the hobby so getting a good handset would be wise for the future.
Last edited by Phantasm141; Jan 15, 2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 06:29 AM
FUBAR
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
The eclipse7 is showing its age. For fixed frequency, I can recommend the optic6 for $130 or the Futaba 7C for $150. By the way, I just bought a Optic6 with spectra module at the special price of $167 shipped from rcworldofplanes. After doing much research, I ruled out the eclipe7 for a new radio. If you have any specific question about the optic6, just ask.

-Kwok
OK I looked at that optic 6, and it looks very nice:
http://www.servocity.com/html/6-ch_optic_6_systems.html
If you look at that link it has all the radios u guys have mentioned in the page menu .