HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:14 AM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Viceroy, this is the fan-fold P51... Not too shabby.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2002, 11:01 AM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Huh, so whats the deal with leaving the plastic film on???
How many of you guys leave it on and why?
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Mar 11, 2002, 11:15 AM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Film on less flex. I left film on for the GeeBee and took it off the p51 since I was glassing for better adhering.

Killer
Old Mar 11, 2002, 11:17 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
if im going to glass i take it off .. but on my profiles i leave it on wings and take it off both sides of fuse .. looks better when painted .. Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 11, 2002, 06:28 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2002
479 Posts
Here's a picture of the painted underside of my
Pibros after several bad launches (finally got
the hang of throwing it) and five or six landings.

I left the film on, painted over the film, then
covered with clear packing tape. Not the
lightest way to finish a fan fold plane, but it's
proving to be a durable finish.
Justplanenuts is offline Find More Posts by Justplanenuts
Old Mar 11, 2002, 06:45 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
To peel or not to peel, that is the question.

I generally peel, glue adhears better, sands better, and I generally cover the bigger ones with film anyway. The little ones like the picture, get nada. This one weighs in at 6.1 ounces ready to fly. I am going to build another soon and may use this as an experiment in light weight spakle and buy an airbrush.

Killer,
Your profession is showing - what a fine fine job.

Len
LenBFP is online now Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Mar 11, 2002, 06:46 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2002
479 Posts
Great looking P-51. Ever consider doing a website
with detailed instructions on painting models?

(hint, hint)
Justplanenuts is offline Find More Posts by Justplanenuts
Old Mar 11, 2002, 07:30 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Hell I could teach you guys some of the tricks about fine art in 5 minutes. If you guys build half of what you are showing us, there will be no problem in teaching you a few nifty little tricks we learn in art school. I will post some P51 construction and painting techniques soon.

Killer
Old Mar 12, 2002, 02:57 AM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
FINALLY got some fan-fold! HP Dow, 2x4s 25 sheet, $38! Did I get burned? Got from a "wholesale" building supply. (must have seen me coming)

Even so, if I get a plane a sheet, that's only a $1.50 each so I shouldn't complain.

OK, what's the deal with the silver? Didn't have much time to check it out tonight, but the stuff "almost" looks like you could leave it on the outside for a metal finish? Noticed the blue showing through in spots, and it didn't look like it would peal off. Do you normally just put it on the inside for thermal insulation maybe?
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old Mar 12, 2002, 09:24 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
someone over in the fanfold thread got ahold of some of the metal backed hardlock .. check it out ..there is a whole discussion about it .. just be careful and keep the antenna away from the metal finish .. it will wreak Havok with your RX.. Take Care .. Vyceroy
Old Mar 12, 2002, 10:09 AM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Hardlock, at Lowes they sell the 2X4 sheets bundled for about what you paid, so no you didn't get ripped off.

KillerAir, great job painting, look forward to your post on painting tips. What did you use to mask, Frisket? Looks great.
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Mar 12, 2002, 11:02 AM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Did not spray. It was all hand painted with a brush. I ruled the panel lines on with a permanent marker(sharpie would work). Next I added the weathering by placing the ruler on the panel line and lightly stroked over moving in the direction of "the Wind". The secret to this is to use a stiff brush of about 1/2" to 1" wide. Work with a very DRY brush. Wet brush and blot on paper towel until almost all paint is out of brush. Then lightly apply. Use colors that would be close to the color you are appling over. For example. On silver use Silver and a touch of black mixed in to get the weathering on the wings. Add more black for exhaust stains or white for oxidized. Lighter blues can also be mixed into the silver to "Fake" reflections. Canopy was done with Light blue base with Watery white applied for reflections and then wiped with a paper towel. Adding details can also be accomplished by paint removal. Scrapping,sanding and even bleaching can be used. this also ages paint nicely. Doesn't look all plastic and bright. Also when you use acrylics tone them down a bit. they are too bright(unless thats what you want) use greys or browns to help neutrlize some of the color saturation levels or intensity. I could talk color theory for pages here but I think you guys will get bored.

Use paper card stock (index card) for "loose"masks if you are doing a defined shape. Paintes tape can also be used for straght edges if you hae a shakey hand.

Have fun with it. It will bring your planes to new heights (even if it doesn't fly that well)

Keep 'em flyin

Killer
Old Mar 12, 2002, 11:13 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
Killer check your private mesages

sorry off subject i know .. but Killer check private messages in your zone control panel .. Vyceroy
Old Mar 12, 2002, 01:20 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Yeah, I have definatly had some planes that looked beter than they flew , but hey its hard to just leave a plane unfinished and just throw it even it it dose end up as packing peanuts .
I have weathered some of my panel lines by using a gel pen and then just streaking it with my finger before it dries. The gel pens are cool because they dont have a ball point and they work upside down, (developed for NASA 0 gravity I think) .
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ