HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2002, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Fan-fold covering/painting tips only.

If you've been following the fan-fold thread as I have, you'll agree that there's tons of good info in it. However, to retain my sanity considering how large it's become, I thought- I'd start a new one JUST for covering and painting of fan-fold foam.

I know it was mentioned there, but what's the best spray paint for the bluecor? I can't stand the color, don't want to add to the cost with heatshrink (will that even work?) etc. My thinking is that whatever paint you use, it will flake off and show the blue through it?

Please prove me wrong.
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2002, 03:22 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Hardlock,

I don't have the bluecor, but I use Testors model paint on my pink fan fold. It really works well and seems to "soak" into the foam a little to give it a little depth. Painted a pink P40 olive drab and stuck a printed tiger mouth on it and she looks good!

Just my experience.

Thanks for starting another thread - we probably need a whole new forum though - LOL! Maybe I'll make a fan-fold FAQ!
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Mar 10, 2002, 03:39 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2002
479 Posts
I just finished a bluecor Pibros (with speed 400).
After flying a previous bluecor wing and losing
track of which side was the top, I painted the
bottom of the Pibros with bright orange
'plasti-kote' fast dry enamel. The entire plane
was then taped with clear packing tape for
strength (full contact combat is expected) and
to keep the paint from flaking off.
Justplanenuts is offline Find More Posts by Justplanenuts
Old Mar 10, 2002, 03:55 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Hey Guys thought I'd share a few things that I have used.
Regular house paint gloss waterbase was used with great success on the geebee. I also used "craft" type acrylics that come in a small squeeze bottle. There are tons of colors to choose from and if your have any artistic abilities(which I know most of you do ) you can mix colors to tone some of the brights down. Walmart carries most of these paints for crafts or stenciling.

I am also in the process of painting my P51 which was coated with glass and polycrylic(Minwax) and sprayed with dull silver rustoleum....DON'T USE THIS. it melted some of the foam after penetrating through the poly......BIG MISTAKE. Thank god I was only appling light coats and were it got heavy is were the trouble began. Iwas able to fix it and will now only use acrylic and testos master model colors for accent and trim.
I will post some pics of the P51 tomorrow.

For panel line I use a sharpie marker But I also have access to ArtMarkers(Sometimes it pays to be a Artist)

Once I get my new shop I will start airbrushing all of my models...better finish and I use to be and airbrush artist for a living so I have to use those skills somewhere
Keep 'em flyin

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Mar 10, 2002, 03:58 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Sorry forgot

Use waterbased polyurethane only.

Use it after you paint as an added layer of protection. Comes in different finishes..Gloss,dull,semi. 1 Qt enought to do 100 planes is under $10.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 05:37 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
The little 1/4 ounce bottles of acrilic enamel work and cost about a buck a bottle. The 2 ounce bottles of acrylic enamel also work and cost two bucks. You can get either in a Ace Hardware store. I have used transparent Monocote on the wing of the plane on the right. The wing of the one on the left was done with a glue stick and coverright coverlight. The Monocote was easiest, but heaviest. Both I used an Iron on about 1/3 dial. The purple fuselage was done with a Krylon Acrylic Enamel. I am not sure it is completely foam safe I put it over the lightweight spakle. I haven't tried it yet, but I read where you can thin the spakle to the consistency of pancake batter and just paint it on. I have found the coverlight needs no spakle under it. The transparent blue Monokote looks kinda like a candy apple blue, something to do with the foam. Even the blue coverlight looks backlit. I have heard that Econocote goes on with a lower temperature, although that really hasen't been a problem for me with Monokote. The picture is made with an el cheepo camera and doesn't do them justice, but here is a picture.
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Mar 10, 2002, 06:53 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,380 Posts
Spray Paint

Krylon makes a spay latex that is available from Ace Hardware that seem to work *IF* you get a can that doesn't "spit and spatter" paint out of it. It also depends on whether you peel your Bluecor or not. The skin on Bluecor will help resist some of the solvents in some paints if you mist lightly. I've discovered that regardless of what paint you want to use, if you prime with a latex paint and let it dry thoroughly, you can paint with just about anything after that!

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Mar 10, 2002, 06:57 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Hey Hardlock .. Hey the rest of you Fan Fold Fanatics lol ..i use testors models spray paint .. it soaks in well and covers very nicely .. except for red .. it doesnt seem to like to cover the plastic covering on fan fold .. all other colors i have tried do very well .. Take Care and Keep Em Flying.. vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 11, 2002, 12:35 AM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Gee, learning a lot here. Thanks all.

I didn't realize that you left the film on? That would allow more options. I'd heard of the Testors spray only figured it would be too expensive for production.

Almost given up on getting Depron so I don't have to paint at all and figure that the planes will only cost me $1 each for the foam if I use Bluecor.

The Krylon latex sounds like a good possible. Maybe the 2 tone gray for the JSFs. Wonder if I could just use latex house paint with a spray gun?
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old Mar 11, 2002, 04:33 AM
Garden City, MI 48135-1745
Joined Feb 2002
27 Posts
Paint tricks

From my plastic model life, I recall that acrylic paints can be
thinned (for spraying) with alcohol. Models are generally styrene or polystyrene, so anything that works on them, should work on blucor. The alcohol acts as an accelerator for drying and leaves a nice even application.
I will try it on blucor and see, seems it would be lighter than Testors etc.
ToniDeproni is offline Find More Posts by ToniDeproni
Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,814 Posts
Paint Source - Acrylic paints
Go to Walmart and look in craft department...they sell 8 oz bottles for about $2-$3. Works great!

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:45 AM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Here is what a little time and a few colors of acrylic paints can do.

Killer
Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:51 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,380 Posts
Show off!

Obviously the mark of true pro! You should be proud of that one Killer! When you fly it, if by some unfortunate turn of events it gets sucked up in whirlwind or something else ugly happens to it - just don't tell us, OK? That would be painful to read about

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:09 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Looks great Killer .. is that the bluecore one you were working on?..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:09 AM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Thanks CenTex. Total time painting is about 4 hours from start to almost finished.

Keep 'em flyin guys

Killer

I won't post any destructive pics if I happen to put this one in the dirt.