HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:37 PM
clinton township, michigan
Joined Sep 2003
57 Posts
Looking for first electric plane

I am coming over from glow power planes so i am looking for a plane with ailerons. One I can fly at a park or ball field. I would like some aerobatic ability, and able to go pretty slow. Something about 35 -40 inches i guess. Probably a 400 size motor that i will be using li-poly batteries with. I have looked at tower hobbies and saw a couple different choices but nothing great. Any sites to check out some other planes or names and pics would be great. oh yeah an ARF would be great too. Thanks.
gr8johnson3 is offline Find More Posts by gr8johnson3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:39 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Check out the GWS Formosa. Verry popular. If you could go with a kit that builds about as fast as most arfs check out www.mountainmodels.com They have an awesome line of sport models.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:43 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
925 Posts
Check out Hobby-Lobby.com they have a real good selection of parkflyers. Plus they list everything you will need to get it into the air.
WhiteCloud is online now Find More Posts by WhiteCloud
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:28 PM
leave nitro and go gas!!!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jan 2004
368 Posts
I am very impressed with my Mountain Models Magpie. I am still in the process of building it. I have read nothing but good about this plane and the company. Go to www.mountainmodels.com and check out the Magpie. It was $55.00 for the plane with the trainer wing and sport wing with ailerons. Look around this site for more info, or drop me an e-mail and I'll send you the links I have to the posts about the Magpie.

amitysanimal
amitysanimal is offline Find More Posts by amitysanimal
Old Jan 14, 2005, 01:14 AM
Luv 2 Fly
Whetstone/Sr. Vista, Arizona, United States
Joined Apr 2004
539 Posts
Check out Todds models also....http://www.toddsmodels.com/index.htm
DaveF is offline Find More Posts by DaveF
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:13 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
482 Posts
Check out...www.cl-i-max.com.

D
d_trafalgar is offline Find More Posts by d_trafalgar
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:48 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined May 2003
448 Posts
I would second Mountain Models - I am building a SmoothE with sports wing currently. They have a great range and a great reputation - pick a model and have search here and you will find nothing but praise for the models and the service from the company. Also the designers hang out on the board so if you ever need advice you can get it from the the horses mouth.

Graham
eSmasher is offline Find More Posts by eSmasher
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:47 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
And if you have a problem with anything from them, You don't have a problem for long. They want everyone happy with their products.
I have never seen customer service as good as thiers. There are others who do a good job. But MM is the best.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:58 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Besides Mountain Models there is also Stevens Aeromodel. Great looking parkflyer planes with excellent flyingcharacteristics. Self aligning lasercut parts for an easy build. Both scale aerobats and "sport"- aerobats to choose from.

I have their Speed 300 sized G-Ride (running on a brushless and Lipos), and it is an exceptional aerobat. The Groove is a slightly larger version of the G-Ride. The Park-sized Cap 232 is a greatlooking scale aerobat. These three are all planes that I have had opportunity to fly myself, and can give personal witness to the ease of building and great flying they offer.
The Stella is a 3D version of the G-Ride/Groove which gets raving revues here on the E-Zone. Then there´s the RV-4, which is more of a scale sportsplane than an all-out aerobat, but still a great plane from what I have read here.

All these planes are built up balsa kits as mentioned, but the building is a breese.
Check them out at: http://www.stevensaero.com/cart/

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:14 AM
Snohomish County, Wa.
Joined Jul 2004
365 Posts
Probably would help if you gave us more criteria for guiding recommendations. For example, you will need to fly out of a very small field ("small" is relative, but I would call it less than one football field). Do you want to handle a lot of wind (again, relative)? Be really quiet (pushes you towards outrunner power)? 3D capable? Are you willing to build a kit or want RTF? Or do you like scale warbirds?

-dm
mccrohan is offline Find More Posts by mccrohan