Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:39 AM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
2 more pics
When was that black and white photo taken. Weird looking airplane.
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:47 AM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Here's something interesting for the coaxial counter rotating crowd. While looking pics of the AN-70 today, another of the few currently flying on this type of prop, I found this picture showing the props. Notice that the front propeller has Eight blades and the rear propeller has Six blades! I havn't a clue as to the point of doing this but it falls in line with what I pointed out about the P-51 Precious Metal where the rear prop is smaller in diameter than the front prop.

Another thing about this type of setup that has only been alluded to is that the counter rotating props destroy the spiral wake that a single prop makes. In doing this it greatly improves the efficiency of this arrangement. However since R/C aircraft dont have to be efficient this point is mostly meaningless.
Unless your looking for all out speed. Counter rotating props keep their efficiency to a higher speed, the An-70 is reported to have a 90% efficiency at .75 mach! So if your into wicked fast prop planes, coaxial counter rotating is the way to go.

EDIT- BTW: the An-70's D-27 engines produce 14,000 Shaft Horsepower!
GeeBeeFan is offline Find More Posts by GeeBeeFan
Last edited by GeeBeeFan; Aug 20, 2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:52 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
edit: a couple of post crept in as I was writing my reply! That's awesome those contra-rotating props on the AN-70! I remember looking into those years ago!

Now, re: the Brigand:

Right, but what I'm saying is: Is it worth the trouble of articulating them, the servo and the linkage for surfaces that will grant you so very little? A lot of people don't bother articulating the rudders on their GWS warbirds to keep weight down and CG forward. I rarely use rudder on my zero except for straightening myself up on takeoff and certain aerobatic maneuvers and when I want to show off with flashy purdy coordinated turns! *lol* For most of the CS planes I think landing gear would spoil the aesthetics, so I'd simply chuck launch them and land them on grass (for lack of a zeppelin to operate them off of! ) So no need for rudder on the ground!

K

p.s I'd type more, but I somehow managed to fall quite painfully on my wrist at lunch in the 3 minute rainstorm that was specifically designed to hurt me. Only by jumping into a pool in my clothes could I possibly have been more wet. I'm really hoping my wrist doesn't swell up to the size of a basketball overnight!
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Last edited by LedKitty; Aug 20, 2004 at 12:57 AM. Reason: the pain!
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:18 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
So you guys gonna build any of these things or what?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:56 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
Well, if somebody will fund the helium and motor costs, I'll build a properly-scaled zep. for you to launch your Brigand/Damselfly, what-have-you off of, Kitty. With about 8-10 LenRC brushless motors in the pods, I bet it could make tracks... (Or is that contrails, when you are talking about an aircraft?)

Sorry to hear about the wrist... Sure isn't easy to fly in that condition!

~Luke
IAD is offline Find More Posts by IAD
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:04 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
It's gonna be a slow day today. They shut down the building I have my test equipment in so I'm just sitting in my office trying to think of something to do.

I feel your pain LedKitty! I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists and am having another surgery to shorten my right ulna in October. To much dirt bike racing for my obviously defective wrists. Having to give up riding is what got me back into RC.

I can't believe that Piaggio hydrofoil plane was real!!! Way to frik'n cool!!!

Ciao! and have a wicked weekend everyone.

Rob
madrob is offline Find More Posts by madrob
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:38 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,826 Posts
Willow the pic was taken sometime in the early to Mid 20s ..

According to what i read the PC7 never made it off the water into the air .. due to a lack of oil in the mechanism for the water prop the whole mechanism seized up and the project was dropped by the investors ..

A shame really i think it had merit for the aircraft world and the boat world ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:40 AM
AMA CD# 5957
Janesville, WI
Joined Jul 2004
280 Posts
Well, thanks to the 3 views sent by Kitty, I've started drawings for a Kestrel. 42" span, twin E Flite 370 4100 brushless with GWS 350C GB's for power with contra rotating 10x4.5 props.

Since I seem to have lost my Crimson Skies CD (I still have the jewel case with the serial number, but the cd is missing) could someone post up some in game pics of the Kestrel so I can have some references? Alternatively, soes anyone have the CS file on an FTP somewhere that I can download and use my own serial number to do a re-install?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Robb is offline Find More Posts by Robb
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:49 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
You'll need the CD to run the program...

(I have an old install, but after I finished all the levels, I gave the CD to a friend. Just tried to boot up the game and it was yelling at me for not having the CD in the drive.)

~Luke
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:55 AM
AMA CD# 5957
Janesville, WI
Joined Jul 2004
280 Posts
Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure there's a 'No-CD' patch somewhere....
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:05 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,826 Posts
yes there is a No CD patch .. .. just do a search for Crimson skies no cd on the web
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:09 AM
AMA CD# 5957
Janesville, WI
Joined Jul 2004
280 Posts
I have it, if anyone wants. I can e mail the 1.1MB file if your e mail server can handle that size file.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:16 AM
Charlotte Douglas, North Carolina, United States
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAD
Well, if somebody will fund the helium and motor costs, I'll build a properly-scaled zep. for you to launch your Brigand/Damselfly, what-have-you off of, Kitty. With about 8-10 LenRC brushless motors in the pods, I bet it could make tracks... (Or is that contrails, when you are talking about an aircraft?)

Sorry to hear about the wrist... Sure isn't easy to fly in that condition!

~Luke

Come on now, this is SCALE model links and discussion.... USE HYDROGEN.. it's much more spectacular during a short circut....
gunf1ght is offline Find More Posts by gunf1ght
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:21 AM
Charlotte Douglas, North Carolina, United States
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
here is something not "Crimson Skies" yet I found it interesting... I remember seeing it Years ago in popular science....
http://www.moller.com/
gunf1ght is offline Find More Posts by gunf1ght
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:38 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
Hehe... Yes, that would make a nice model... Full-scale, though.... I dunno. Moller's claims are just a little... How shall I put this nicely... Unrealistic?

Yes, yes... Hydrogen it should be... Ok, who can get me lots of sulfuric acid, and iron-filings?

~Luke