SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:59 PM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
Well, just to silence all those nay-sayers who say that we fantasy scale plane people never build anything...

Not quite "fantasy SCALE" but I think there's a good dose of fantasy in this thing...

~Luke
IAD is offline Find More Posts by IAD
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:30 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
I do not toss your name around in vein Luke! You da man! I so love that thing!

K
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:38 PM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
Well, at least ONE of us is buiding something...

You've reaquired use of both hands by now, I assume? I'm still waiting to see some CS planes..!

~Luke
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:23 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Yeah, that stupid cast was only on for two weeks turned out nothing was fractured which is a good thing. It's still a little wonky from time to time though. No, what's been me nuts is my car :P Muffler went to hell in a handbasket and I think the catalytic converter is going too. Why do those bits always go in pairs?

Now that I've got my Dominatrix done, next I've got to finish moth #2, then I tackle this little baby from Enrico's Adventures of Mia book! I'm guessing they've got old e busy as a bee over at Pixar, he hasn't been updating his page much :\

I'm thinking of mixing several methods to do this little water bird. As I stated a few posts back, I'm toying with the idea of using balsa formers and carbon fiber stringers, and on this little baby, I was gonna do the motor sponsons and bottom of the hull out of pink foam, fiberglassing the bottoms and then covering the wings and upper fuse with whatever iron-on covering I feel like playing with at the time! Should make a very interesting and fun build for the winter season. Now all I have to do is get some form of Auto-Cad back on this machine! My buddy Dave has got a copy of 2K with all the bells and whistles. That should do the trick and it's what I'm used to, so I guess it's good having friends studying architechture! ^_^

Yes, yes, I know that this plane looks a little too fat to fly, but as they say, "anything with enough power will fly"! I may need to cheat up the tail surfaces and wing a little, but I want to try and retain the feel of this aircraft as much as possible

K
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:42 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
Sounds good..!

I say, anybody remember the wake-angels from Titan AE?

Now, followup-question: Anybody have lots of blue LEDs, translucent covering material, and very thin carbon rod?

Talk about the ultimate night-flyer, eh?

(http://www.walkersj.com/portfolio/co...titanaewa.html The blue-flying-wing things, not the big spaceship. )

~Luke
Old Oct 17, 2004, 01:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2002
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunf1ght
estes had a swing wing rocket/glide return at one time....be a good base to work from...
The Estes rocket was the Scissor Wing Transport, catalog number 1265. Here's the link to JimZ's rocket plans. Many of the old Estes and Centuri designs are posted here in sufficient detail to scratch build faithful replicas. Downloads are free.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

WARNING! This website is highly addictive to old rocketeers. If you built and launched model rockets in the 1960's and 1970's do not view this site without consulting with your family doctor. Also it is highly recommend that friends and family know your whereabouts so they can pull you away before starvation sets in, or at least bring food to your computer table!

Rob
NCC-1701 is offline Find More Posts by NCC-1701
Last edited by NCC-1701; Oct 17, 2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 02:42 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Rob, you are right, found the Big Bertha I built in '71 or '72, nice fat rocket, could actually see it, as opposed to those little ones that were just a streak, the bertha kind of lumbered off the pad, and flew more slowly, thanks for the link. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:52 PM
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
Joined Oct 2002
296 Posts
FYI

Free Spaceship one paper model

http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

Tracy
wespe is offline Find More Posts by wespe
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:29 AM
Charlotte Douglas, North Carolina, United States
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wespe
FYI

Free Spaceship one paper model

http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

Tracy
thanks for this link.. been looking for that and then they had the facetmobile also... been looking for good drawings of that for blucore.... also, spent about three hours on the model rockets page....it is addictive as warned..
gunf1ght is offline Find More Posts by gunf1ght
Old Oct 20, 2004, 05:14 PM
Registered Useless
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2003
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAD
Hehe, so I'm the official insane thrust-vector ducted-fan guy here, huh?
Yes, bet it could be done... Not much wing there, and the tipsails would help destabilize the ship's yaw.
Several thrust vectoring Su-27s have been tried in the electric jets thread, usual deflection is 5 degrees to start with. Drawback is dead stick is literally "dead stick", no thrust means no control if thrust is your only pitch control. You need to gimbal the shroud as well, an annular tail surface! Works on model rockets, as I remember.
scififlyer is offline Find More Posts by scififlyer
Old Oct 20, 2004, 08:21 PM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
Yes, I was thinking of that... But, hey! This would be a 6.75 oz. model airplane, not a full-scale ship! So what if dead-stick means dead-ship? (Sort of joking.)

I was thinking of more about 35 deg. deflections, though... If it can't tumble, what's the point? (Even more joking.)

On the topic of thrust-vector aircraft, the Blade (see attached) may end up being built, to act as a test-airfame, as I try to get a feel for what twin EDF-40s can do... 100% of control via thrust vector. (Future project.)

~Luke

P.S. I know most of you have seen this, but for any new guys in our group of madness...
P.P.S. It flies this-away... [Gestures in a direction 'out' of the screen.]
Last edited by IAD; Oct 20, 2004 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Had to dig up the "file photo" of the ship.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:28 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
I seriously wouldn't worry about the Swordfish! It's the closest thing to... no, wait! It IS a motorized lawn dart! *lol* Just keep it a little nose heavy and fly over grass!

K
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:45 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Very nice Luke!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Nov 01, 2004, 10:46 PM
Joined Aug 2004
46 Posts
Wow, this thread has gone stagnant... Had to dive to page six to find it.

Anyhow. School has been sucking up most of my time, alas, but I've been diddling with the Brigand idea in my spare time... Looks like the best way to do it would be an overpowered flying wing, after all. That vestigal tailplane's only there for decoration... Also been refining the layout for the diff-equalized counter-rotating prop system. Once I find all the parts, it wouldn't be too hard to set in motion...

However, contribution time. This depends on what you consider 'Fantasy'... This started with CS planes, I thought, and all of those were actually proposed production planes, so here's a page with a pair of proposed present-day aircraft, one for the ducted-fan set, the second a turboprop pusher plane. Counter-rotating props, too.

Stavatti International , kiddies.
Nutjob_GTO is offline Find More Posts by Nutjob_GTO
Old Nov 01, 2004, 10:53 PM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
Wow.... Somebody watched a bit too much Starwars and Anime, I think....

Neat looking ships..!

~Luke