SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2004, 03:41 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,708 Posts
Fantasy Scale Planes, fancy something different? - PART2!

Hey guys! Ok! Here's the new chapter! Wheee! Chapter2.. I feel like I'm part of something special here!

Let's keep it weird guys! ^_~

Here's a link to the first part:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&page=1&pp=15

K
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Last edited by LedKitty; Jan 15, 2005 at 01:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2004, 03:44 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,708 Posts
Sorry I beat you to the punch Luke!

I'm just kinda rabid that way! ^_~

That's a shame about the glider GBF!

K
Old Aug 18, 2004, 03:46 PM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,742 Posts
Ahg! I'll say you did! I just finished writing the post, and did a last check to see if anybody had beaten me. (No need to make this whole topic even more confusing, by having two 'Part II' threads, right? )

~Luke
IAD is offline Find More Posts by IAD
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:25 PM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Well I cant seem to find the picture of the PC.7 that I was thinking of on my computer. Must be in one of my books. Oh well. I did find a few of the aircraft that I designed while being bored in High School study hall! I completely forgot about some of these! I'll post some when I get access to a scanner.
GeeBeeFan is offline Find More Posts by GeeBeeFan
Old Aug 18, 2004, 05:03 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
someone has already built a peanut scale version of the PC7 .. wonder if he made plans??
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 18, 2004, 05:11 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
2 more pics
Old Aug 18, 2004, 06:09 PM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
someone has already built a peanut scale version of the PC7
Yeah, but I bet the water prop wasn't fuctional! Sounds like I'm going to have to add this to "the list" After all once I get that MC72 finished it'll need some company!

That first picture of it in the water is the one I was thinking of! NOW I have it on my computer. Thanks
GeeBeeFan is offline Find More Posts by GeeBeeFan
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2004
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedKitty
Sorry I beat you to the punch Luke!

I'm just kinda rabid that way! ^_~

K

And this, ladies and germs, is why you need to make sure your kitties are up to date with their shots.

(Thanks for the 3-views, Kitty!)
Nutjob_GTO is offline Find More Posts by Nutjob_GTO
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:11 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Lmao you give the Kitty her Shots .. i value my life
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:40 PM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,742 Posts
Is that shots as in with those two pairs of 30mm cannon on the LE of the Damselfly?

Sorry, my crazy time of day/night. Got to go to bed, before I hurt myself.

~Luke
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:17 PM
Creations Aberration
United States, OR, Newport
Joined Jan 2004
609 Posts
Miss Kitty
So much dihedral everywhere & no rudder !
Would the asthetics be ruined w/ rudder surfaces between the wings at the upper wing dihedral point?
Good lift possibilities with the fan just aft of wing, forced flow should add to low speed lift.
Can you keep the the outer section of canard horizotal to the centerline of the airframe & still achieve the look, no odd rolling forces generated this way.
Inner portion dihedral alright, fillet upper surface generously.
Aethertek is offline Find More Posts by Aethertek
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:27 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Foreward fin vs. foreward stab.

Kitty,
The thing is pitch stability is much easier to achieve than yaw stability. Why? Because there are HUGE forces involved in keeping a plane stable in pitch. They are called gravity and lift. If you think about it, you'll realise that a plane can't fly at all unless these 2 forces are ballanced (to a certain degree), and that both are so strong that they require a lot of force to unballance them. The lowly yaw axis has no such forces trying to keep it stable, so it takes a lot less effort to mess up a plane this way.

Have you ever tryed pushing a shopping cart backwards? Get the turning force ahead of the ballance point, and it becomes highly unstable. (although in point of fact, the backwards shopping cart is unstable by having the turning force behind the balance point!!). I once built a plane with too much fin area ahead of the cg; is was completely unflyable. The darn thing would fly straight for about 12 feet, and then do a beautiful flat turn (within its wingspan), and start off in a new direction. A little disconcerning to hand launch a plane, and have it immediatly come right back at you. Yikes!
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:04 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,742 Posts
Then again, it sounds like if you could electronically stabilize such a configuration using a heading-hold gyro, you would have the most incredible maneuvering ship ever invented!

~Luke
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:51 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,708 Posts
Aethertek, there is TWO rudders in fact on the Devastator! They extend downwards from the lower wing where the inner sections meet the outer sections! There's absolutely no reason why an upwards fin is preferable to downwards fins other than ground clearance! ^_~ The fact that most Crimson Skies planes are designed to operate from zeppelins via a hook assembly frees them from the conventions of ground based aircraft. Plus, having the fins facing down allows the pilot a much freer field of vision!

As for all the dihedral I mentionned at the end of the last thread, that was for my Damselfly (which also has inverted fins). As you can see, the Devastator's canards have no dihedral. The only reason I had to put dihedral on my canards was to try and keep them from fouling the airflow to the wing, and also becuase it looks cool

Tolladay, I know the whole shopping cart thing, it's the same reason taildraggers have a tendency to groundloop, ie: because the CG wants to get ahead of the main gear, ie: the two greatest points of friction. I just wanted a clear answer as to why canards would be any more stable than say, forward fins, and lift and gravity would be it! ^_~ Thanks! Funny how the basics get lost in the clutter when you zoom in too much on the problems!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:25 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,742 Posts
Hehe, guess that was my fault, huh? (Zooming in too much.)

Oh, if you put a rudder on a downward-swept fin, you get very good coupled roll/yaw, when deflecting the surface.

~Luke