HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2002, 07:11 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
CD-R's (How Many do you have?) The wife thinks I'm Nuts!

My wife was home sick Friday & I guess she had nothing to do so she went down to my Computer Room & counted how many CD-R's I have & pronounced to me that I had 400 & why the hell did I need so Many? I told her that I had picked them up over the last year or two & when ever I ran accross a super sale like FREE after rebate, I would Pick up a spindle or pack. Actually I have (300) 80 Minute CD-R's & (100) Mini-CD's (Shirt Pocket Size).
I can remember the days when an 800 MB Hard Drive cost BIG Money! I figured that with the Deals that I have gotten, I pay around .10 Cents or maybe .15 Cents Each, I told her that I have big plans for lots of those once I get Broadband!
Anyway, does your Wife give you a hard time about your Computer Equipment? Fortunately a lot of my computer purchases go inside the computer & she don't see but other stuff, I have carefully introduce.
Wives, just don't understand! My Computer Stuff & Slowflyer Stuff are some of the few things that keep me Sane!
-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Mar 10, 2002, 08:29 AM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,045 Posts
I suggest you make a carefully planned trip to the hallway closet.......and start counting shoes!!!! Plenty of room for debate on the merits of 3800 pairs of black pumps. -Ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Mar 10, 2002, 10:14 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
as of 3/10/02

Blank 80Min CDR- 196

Written 80Min CDR- 178

Blank 21Min CDR - 25 (kinda useless really)

These things have their own unique economic system, you always have to go through the rebate process to get the current market price (about 8-10 cents these days)

Did get a 50 pack from Best Buy last weekend for $22 - $16 mail in rebate - $6 instant rebate = $0

(interesting sales model based on people messing up/forgetting to fill out all the paperwork I guess..)

Your wife is right 300 is too many ....
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Mar 10, 2002, 11:02 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I have between 400 and 500 CDR's all written to. I need a new place to store them. We really need something far bigger than DVD RAM to solve our storage problems. Yeah I know, no matter how big it is we will always want bigger.

No wife here to hen peck me unfortunately.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Mar 11, 2002, 02:05 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Ahhhh, I have about 100 or so, My girl loves to DL MP3s and burns more CDs than I do, I keep her in up to date good running computers so she says noting about it, actually is quite thankfull, I dont spend that much money on the PCs as I build my own and keep them fit and trim so they run much better than systems 3 X faster from the OEMs already half loaded full of CR@! . I spend my money on good parts when I put them together, good CPU MB combo kick butt vid card, good fast big HDD.
Actually just got a call saturday from the cable man,,,,,,,,, Hookin me up with the broad ban , its about time ! .
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Mar 11, 2002, 02:37 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
well, you may not need any more of them, but $50- isn't too much money even if you just decorate with them
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:04 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
You let her in your computer room? How she get past the locks? Didn't you put them in the "secret closet" with all the other cool stuff she doesn't know about? You do have a secret closet, right? Right?

BTW, 300 isn't too many. Once you get broadband, you'll fill them up fast!
You are using them to back up your systems, right?
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:08 PM
Van
New York
Joined Nov 2001
343 Posts
CD-Rs only get cheaper. If you already have 300, I'd wait until you have 50 left and then buy more.

I buy by the 100 spool, but I wait until it's almost empty before replacing it -- and I'm always amazed how they're such a bargin.

I remember paying almost $20 a CD back in '93-ish. Now they're usually less than 25 cents.
Van is offline Find More Posts by Van
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:06 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
That first consumer CD burner (audio) at $16,000- wasn't that long ago, either.
The first big (530 meg) hard drive I met cost the guy $5600-
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon