SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:32 AM
Frisco, Texas
Joined Dec 2003
38 Posts
Carden 35% Extra 300S Finishing

I have just set up all the structural rebuild on a 35% Carden Extra 300s and I'm deciding on a finishing method.

Airframe weight 15lb 2oz, I'm expecting a 6lb engine 2lb for radio gear, 1lb for spinner,prop & miscellaneous + covering/finish = 24lb 2oz + covering/finish.

I have had a great experience in finishing the GP Cap 21 (88in W.S.) with 3/4oz glass cloth, Water based polyurethane (no toxic fumes) & Rustoleum finish. The finish is super strong and very attractive. This structure is all closed (no open framework).

The Extra is an older version with open framework on the rear fuse sides and bottom. With this in mind, Monokote/Ultracote is the normal path most take, but I expect to spend in excess of $200 on film covering.

I would like to use the FG finish method but have no experience or seen any recomendations to date regarding the glass cloth on open framework. Although this method takes a lot more work, the results are worth the effort (if I can finish the open framework) and the cost would be less than $100. That would leave me more $ for powerplant/servos. Since it will be gas powered I'm thinking household latex paints would even work for the finish.

Please help with recomendations on FG on open framework as well as opinions.

Thanks

Eric Gold
overpowered is offline Find More Posts by overpowered
Last edited by overpowered; Jan 13, 2005 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:52 AM
Frisco, Texas
Joined Dec 2003
38 Posts
It will be Monokote

Thanks anyway.

Based on info from other sites, suggestions from other club members and the history I have experienced with weight gain using FG, I decided to Monokote it.

Between the 13 roll lot of misc colors I bought from e-Bay tonight and many miscellaneous rolls I have, I think I can come up with a great finish job.

Any recommendations on graphic layout? Send some pictures.

Eric
Last edited by overpowered; Jan 30, 2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:19 PM
Omaha, Ne
Joined Sep 2004
277 Posts
You might think about using FG on th canopy hatch. It will be easier to match the color from the cowling to the hatch. Or you can just paint the Monocote. Bigrc2
Bigrc2 is offline Find More Posts by Bigrc2
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:09 PM
Frisco, Texas
Joined Dec 2003
38 Posts
Here it is

Almost done w/covering

little more trim work than radio, servos & engine.

Cheers
Eric
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:46 AM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
Thats a 35% looks like a 27% its cool tho
bamm is offline Find More Posts by bamm
Old Feb 12, 2005, 08:53 AM
Frisco, Texas
Joined Dec 2003
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamm
Thats a 35% looks like a 27% its cool tho
The next pictures I will have something next to it for true scale. It makes my 25% planes look like they are tiny.

With it's 103" W.S. it is really is big for me (I thought my SIG 1/4 scale Cub was big, but not really nexxt to this thing) and sure uses a lot of covering.

Thanks for the "cool" compliment, I guess I'm improving like fine wine, my covering skills have improved and the results are showing on this plane.

I've been out of town traveling but will take more pictures next weekend (more trim progress).

All thats left is the Engine, cowl fitting, wheel pants and installing the radio gear.

Cheers
Eric