SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:26 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
I don't know Mark - that looks a bit pink to me!
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:32 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
>covered in medium weight modelspan.

Sure it's Modelspan .. not Silkspan? Modelspan only came in Lightweight and Heavyweight grades, but Silkspan did (does?) have an intermediate weight.

I had the foresight to purchase quantities of Modelspan when it went off the market; still using it though running out of some colours.
Hmm, might be..... I bought the stuff about 20 years ago and not sure what it is - in a Thunder Tigre box, about 30 sheets and labeled as "Tissue Paper" "No 148", no weight mentioned but I bought some modelspan the other day locally, light and heavy weight and this stuff I have is definately a "medium", so probably would be Silkspan then - it looks identical type to the modelspan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
THE MAN is right, Modelspan---light or heavy only, and l want more of it.
A good trick to use up the light Modelspan is to cover with Esaki Jap. light first then cover with the light Modelspan------man is it strong. Great on power jobs.
Surely you should be able to get Modelspan in the US?
http://www.airsailmodels.co.nz/prices3.asp
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:42 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Arghh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Easton
I don't know Mark - that looks a bit pink to me!
I don't care wot anybody says - it's definately "Orange" !!!
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:45 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
>Surely you should be able to get Modelspan in the US?

Hardly likely. Production of Modelspan ceased entirely in the '70s; there are other tissues available on the UK market but they do not compare to Modelspan. If the material being sold in NZ is truly M/span then it's VERY old stock; I'd like to see a sheet of it
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:56 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
They just got new stock in end of last year which is when I bought it. Was not sure of it so only got three sheets each but it is new stuff alright - maybe out of a warehouse lot from way back ? who knows.

Can post some photo's if you like?

Mark
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:39 PM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
No flying today - it's pouring rain. I'm off to start on my Tomboy. I always start with the fuselage first though.
I'll see how your pink one (OK Orange if you insist) looks before I cover mine
Old Feb 11, 2005, 05:17 PM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
I measured the incidence on the plans...

Wing (chord) +7
Wing, bottom, +4
Tail, bottom, +1

If I build the longeron flat from where it says"crack" on the plan to the front (TE to LE) , I'l get +4 on the chord, minus the +1 for the tail makes for +3 on the wing -should be perfect!
F3 will need to be shortened though.

Ian
Old Feb 12, 2005, 01:02 PM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
I ended up not quite going level with the "crack" and bumped it up 1 at the front - it didn't look right being flat across the top.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 01:06 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
I'll check my plan today after work - now that I have done the wings I can tape down the fuse bit. I thought I had posted my wing incidences earlier but could not see anything, maybe in another thread....

Sounds like you want to build in more incidence Ian? the guys here have had to make it less by an around an 1/8 undr the TE. Dont have that part of the plan visible on the board now so not sure if I follow your posting correctly.

I usually do the wings and tailplane first and cover b4 doing the fuse. Then If I decide not to build the plane anymore (has happened once or twice) I can use the wings on another model or own design.

Mark
Old Feb 12, 2005, 03:30 PM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Mark,
I'm putting in less incidence than the plan shows. You had mentioned near the beginning of this thread about the incidence problem; that's why I checked mine out.
I measured with a
Old Feb 12, 2005, 07:19 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Hmmm?

Yes, now that I have unfolded the other half of the plan I see I had marked the incidence as 4 and with 1/8 under the TE as 3. That is what I will build mine as.

Mark
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:00 AM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
My Doculam arrived the other day. Wow! If I stick to 24" span models I have enough to cover 200 or so of them! I think it will work good too for fuel proofing the engine bay.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:28 AM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Got some piccies? I am intrigued by this stuff.
Also by "Mylar" I read of covering with mylar then tissue on top. What is "Mylar" ?

Well - since this is a Tomboy build thread, I decided to get a bit more work done and a few more photos.

Have finished covering the Tomboy wings in my home coloured orange , ready for trimming the edges and doping.

First photo of the tissue panel all wetted. next, getting it stretched and even and lastly all doped down around the edges and drying out.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:09 AM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
I'll post some photos shortly. I tried the tissue over mylar on a rubber job and I personally think it came out horrible. I couldn't get the blotchy look off of it. No matter what people say you DO cover it twice (some web sites say it doesn't seem so, but yes it does). It did come out strong though. I think my biggest problem was that I used the metallic mylar instead of the clear.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:23 AM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Yeah - but just "what" is mylar?
What does it look like?
My previous neighbour who was a draftsman used to do his drawings and plans on a whitish paper similar to waxpaper which I always thought was mylar....dunno where I got that thought from though...
Mark