Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:09 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
gossie------mmm, so just WHO is he????? Sometimes wonder myself, is this normal?
Okay, enough banter. smallcirrus l never went to that South Australian Nats, went to Loxton in '75, think thats the only one l've been to in S.A. Have not been to another S.A. Nats (that l can remember) They changed them in that state to Easter and did not suit me, as doing other things (playing cars, real ones not toy ones).
Keith Harvey l've known for OMG, 50 plus years, we were in the same club in the 50s in Melbourne. John Pond l would consider 'a mate' as we say in OZ, we told each other lots of lies over his very top favourite, CARLTON DRAUGHT. Got lots of plans off him and used them to build from. Yes l have both Tom Thumb and Tomboy, but for the life of me, at this stage can't recall sending them to someone, but l am getting old, and losing the plot. lan White??????sorry, can't place him ?????????????
Now that l'm way 'off topic' l had better get out of here. PM me please to see if we can work it out. Are you going to the Richmond Nats in July?????? l will be going.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2005, 04:08 AM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
Not much progress on my Tomboy.
The wings are finished and ready for covering. Will post some more pictures soon.
Anybody got any comments on the plans having the incorrect wing incidence - before I start on the fuse.......
Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Feb 06, 2005, 01:25 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Mark,
What are you going to cover it with - I'm thinking about Doculam - that's a hot item of discussion in the Scale forum. 24" wide 500' long for $26. Light and strong (and probably fuel proof).

Ian
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Feb 07, 2005, 09:46 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
Never heard of it b4 now Ian.
I have some old tissue here - heaps of oddments and some that has started to fade around the corners it is sooo old - thought I would start using it up before it gets too bad. Lightweight stuff - not sure what it is.
I will run a 1" strip of lightweight nylon along the top and bottom of the main wing for strength before covering with tissue.
Stuff I got from the local fabric shop. Very thin and light (like silk) but has the strength of nylon....
Mark
Old Feb 08, 2005, 08:35 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
I have old tissue too but I'm finding out that it's gotten really brittle.
Here's the doculam thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=doculam
Old Feb 08, 2005, 02:54 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
Very interesting. I would think it would be difficult to see properly in the air?
I have not read through the whole thread yet but wonder how any colour or trimming is applied. Dope and tissue I suppose as they seem to indicate dope sticks ok.

Just ironing out the wrinkles of the tissue now - all faded so it should give a nice "antique" look

Mark
Old Feb 08, 2005, 07:10 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
When l was lucky enough to have Modelspan, light & heavy, l used Dylon dye to colour some of the white & the wishy washy blue with a navy Dylon.
This was a while ago though, don't know if this dye is still available.
You need to iron it before using it, to get out the wrinkles.
Old Feb 08, 2005, 08:18 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Any fabric dye seems to work fine. It is necessary to dye a piece to make sure the colour is right.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Feb 08, 2005, 08:20 PM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Well I took the plunge and ordered 500 feet of Doculam - 25 inches wide. That's about 5 cents a square foot compared to over $1 for coverlite. It has it's own adhesive and the guys in the scale forum it takes paint well. I'm going to give it a try anyway. It gets expensive when you start covering big models.
Old Feb 08, 2005, 09:12 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
Ian - do you intend to paint over it or leave clear?
Old Feb 09, 2005, 08:24 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Mark,

I'll be giving a light coat of acrylic paint -like you mentioned earlier it would be hard to see otherwise -it would look interesting though!
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:10 AM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
What good is looking interesting if you cant be seen? :-D
Pete P. is offline Find More Posts by Pete P.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:03 AM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
Covered the tailplane and fin in some ultra lightweight tissue I had - no idea what it is anymore though.
The wings are being covered in medium weight modelspan. I only have white so tried an experiment. I mixed some acrylic artists paint with water and "dyed" the tissue in it. then hung it up to dry. Then applied wet to the wing. Seems to have come out ok. shrunk nice and tight once dried.
And NO - it is NOT pink !!! It is ORANGE - Well, with a bit of imagination

The fuse (yet to be built) will be covered in some blue tissue I have.

I have doped on a 1" strip of nylon along the top and bottom of the wing above the main spar for some added strength and rigidity - will see how it works.

Still very pi...ed about losing my Stomper. My one and only good bought timer was in there. Need to finish another "Tomy" timer to use in the Tomboy now.
Still considering the option of a radio activated DT though.
Mark
Old Feb 10, 2005, 01:26 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
>covered in medium weight modelspan.

Sure it's Modelspan .. not Silkspan? Modelspan only came in Lightweight and Heavyweight grades, but Silkspan did (does?) have an intermediate weight.

I had the foresight to purchase quantities of Modelspan when it went off the market; still using it though running out of some colours.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:23 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
THE MAN is right, Modelspan---light or heavy only, and l want more of it.
A good trick to use up the light Modelspan is to cover with Esaki Jap. light first then cover with the light Modelspan------man is it strong. Great on power jobs.