HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:24 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Okay men one answer at a time. Went jetskiing at 5.30 am with 9 of our crew, did about 150km, used 70 litres fuel as it was a flat out run cruising at 90kmh plus, in very warm conditions, had breakfast at our favorite spot and home to clean up by 10.30.
The Tomboy is the 36in version, and just flys so well and needs the KSB D/T timer.
Have 4 orig.Mills .75s and love them, but no doubt the Doonside is a fabulous version.
Gordon Burford lives not far from me on the Gold Coast in Queensland Australia, is mid 80s and is fit and well and of course still playing engines. His son Peter also makes and sells a small diesel. lvor F is still around and probably fitter than many teenagers.
He is in his 80th year, still flys F/F and runs 1/2 marathons, has good genes he says, his Dad made it well into his 90s. Will see him at our Nationals near Sydney in July, he has NEVER missed one, even the first in 1938, went as a spectator.
Mills 1.3 have an orig. with the R/C carb. on it, as new, in a Ladybird Special, and YES they do fly away, lost an as new one 3 years ago, also in a Ladybird, did not turn the KSB on. Have an lndian 1.3 in a Little Vagabond and its a good one, starts okay and runs very well. Keep 'em flying men.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:47 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Oh, PLEASE do me a favour and say hello to Burford and Ivor F for me. Not likely that they will remember me, but I sure remember, respect, and honour those two guys. I have a couple of Sequis, plus the Mills and some handwritten letters from them. The Sequis belong in velvet-lined cases instead of their card boxes: they are just jewels!

I am afraid to fly the Mills, with the fear of losing it. Any future applications will have a radio on board; no chances taken!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:45 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Both lvor and Gordon have very good memories. Did you have contact with them to buy engines or have you met one or both????? May see Gordon before the 'Nats' and will see lvor at the 'Nats' as he lives in Sydney, thats about 800km (450 miles) south of here. Will pass on your message though for sure.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 09:55 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
Give my regards to both Gordon and "Stowie".
Met Ivor (pre name change) at the Northam WA Nationals in '71. (he blew a motor in his BMW crossing the continent) and in Geelong in '72.
I got #411 Doonside Mills from him for $15 Au. A gem of a motor. My ex-wife and I used it in a variety of models over the years from FF scramble and power, to RC scale. (just replaced it in my 42 Pietenpol Camper with an electric).
When I also saw him he and Gordon were working on the Sesqui. Would have really liked to have had one of those. Lots of happy memories of my three years down under.

John O'Sullivan
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Jan 22, 2005, 03:09 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
gossie: I bought engines from them; I was a collector then, and ordered a number of engines from them over the years. Always the very best quality! Many engine manufacturers could still learn from them.

I wish you luck in finding a Sequi, John; it was a very limited run (300?), and those who own them don't seem to be ready to part with them (like me!). When I was in MECA, I don't remember any of them showing up for sale, but it may be worth a look. If you get one, you won't be disappointed...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jan 22, 2005, 07:34 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Okay John, have you on the list to say hi, no problem at all. Sorry can't remember you from Geelong Nats, remember Phil Kraft being there though. l flew F/F only (as l still do) so maybe you were with the R/C guys. Had a bad Nats, never even got a place, can't win 'em all. Where did you live in OZ???????
Old Jan 22, 2005, 09:54 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
I only flew F/F then too and still regard it as the ultimate in flying skills ( scares the #@*$ out of R/C fliers - they really don't know what makes it work!.)
Phil Kraft, my wife Anne, and I were interviewed on local radio at the Geelong Nats.
Anne was inducted to the Australian Hall of Fame and presented with a barn door hinge at the banquet in recognition of folding her A/2 wing during the contest.
I have a 1.5 inch scar on the heel of my hand after sticking it in the prop of my Executioner. I damaged the model when it flew into my 1966 VW Hippy Van on landing after 4 minutes. (No wind and no drift). Subsequent flight with my reserve model had to have a substitute start my motor and it blew a wing on the climb. This ultralight clipped wing (non geodetic) Executioner was published in the February 1973 edition of the WA Windsock Magazine.
I also flew indoor microfilm for the first (and only) time at these nat. I think my time was an outstanding 8 seconds. I had met up with an old guy (can't remember his name) at the motel who said he made his models at the contest and persuaded me to build a microfilm model. We poured microfilm in the bottom of his shower stall. That's what makes modelling memories.
Ivor F flew a small rubber powered model in the dark in the parking lot of the motel and had a contest to see if anyone could name the pre-WWII design.

The highlight for me was the Midnght Scramble at New Year, which despite being summer was quite cold and my wife and I were wrapped up in a warm blanket. The winner had to swim across a river to retrieve his model.
Still have some memorable photos of Sean O'Connor, Roy Summersby, Leo and Mike O'Reilly and the fliers from WA.
Those were indeed memorable times and I have been fortunate to have kept in touch with several of the Aus modellers since.
I lived in Perth WA (for 3 months of each year). The rest I spent in a mining exploration bush camp about 20 km south of Karratha in the West Pilbara (sole store in Karratha was an Atco trailer when I got there, and a full blown shopping plaza and first class pub when I left.)

Don't ask me for a Bio, I could go on forever.
Amongst the best thing in my happy life is the model airplane fliers I have met. It is indeed a hobby which brings together a flock ( or mob {Aus terminology}) of people who have contributed much to the betterment of society.
John O'Sullivan
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:16 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Yes can remember a lady getting an award, but sorry it's too long back to remember the details. Sean O'Connor still lives in Melbourne and is active, Roy Summersby is a little north of Sydney and still active, F1C is his 'big thing, trying to win the W/C again this year. ln 1985 we, my wife and l went to Yugoslavia with Roy and his ex wife,to fly F1C in the W/C. Had a sensational time, even though we did badly. Still remember the first Yugoslav word l learned-----PIVO-----BEER. Was okay too.
Mike O'Reilly still active, but l don't know him as such. His father Leo passed away last year. Night scramble is a big thing at an Aussie Nats, the people love it, how could you forget it once you've seen it. But try to explain to a person that knows nothing about F/F and they are sure we are all nuts----hah hah, maybe we are.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 09:25 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
I just found out that I have a second reason to build a Tomboy; they're having a Tomboy event at the SAM champs in Vegas this year. I might have to go to that one.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:23 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
When are the SAM champs on please?????? Will be in U.S.A. September--October.
San Fran. to 'Vegas to Havasu for Jet Ski World Finals. Am hoping to catch a little F/F if we can.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 06:00 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
I'm still trying to find out when it is.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Jan 27, 2005, 02:09 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
October 9 -14 Henderson Dry Lake
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:21 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
We arrive at Havasu 8th. Oct. leave 17th. Oct.-----Can't do 2 things at once.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2004
79 Posts
Who is gossie??

Gossie, pretend this is an episode of "This is your life", and if I have read enough of this thread correctly, I will ask you, if you remember who was your Fetchamite at the Waikeree nationals in the early eighties?
If you are who I think you are I, was only today talking about you and telling Ian white(South oz modeller) that you were the culprit who sent me a copy of the original Tomboy and tomb thumb plans as a thankyou for being your Day scramble fetchamite.Speaking of Aussie nats and fetching models I also had the great pleasure of being day scramble fetchamite for the great man John pond at the Richmond nats and night scramble fetchamit for Kieth Harvey and his Veron Cardinal.
Tomboy came up in conversation today because a bunch of guys came into the hobby shop I now work in and started drumming up support for the concept put out there buy Bodders in model flyer.
Hoping that I have put enough pieces of the puzzle together correctly and that perhaps you will remember a young lad that has always cherished his Tomboy plans and built a number of them, the last one being the 36 inch version with RC assist and an electric motor.
Yours sincerly,
Fetchamite,
smallcirrus is offline Find More Posts by smallcirrus
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:51 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
787 Posts
Fetchamite - how about some photo's for the thread?
And some info on the electrics of your last one....

And Gossie.......... where's them photo's mate?

To repeat an earlier question - have any of you had to add / decrease wing incidence afterwards due to errors on the plan? If so by how much?

Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml