HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:18 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
l built off the 1/4 scale drawing in the orig. Aeromodeller mag. as l do with most of my stuff, and build in the incidence to suit. Just make sure the wing has about 1/8th more incidence than the tailplane, and it should be okay. With these sort of models (and l have heaps of them) l build in a little down thrust into the engine bearers as well as a little right thrust, then fly the models left---left, using a little left rudder. A very small amount of washout at the wing tips is also a good a good thing. By the way do you know Paul Lagan & Chris Murphy? both in or near Ch Ch.and very good free flighters.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:15 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl3vml
......... still fly her FF (Rx on but TX off)
Mark
Mark,

Not a good idea, I'm afraid. Having the receiver switched 'on' will mean it will pick up any stray radio signals on its own frequency. Trying turning your tx off midflight, and see what happens!

The Tomboy looks great though! I'm a bit jealous as FF isn't allowed at my club (crops and woodland nearby).

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:30 AM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
774 Posts
Gossie, Yes, I know Chris, not well, only met him once or twice. Seems we just don't fly on the same days. Don't know Paul tho.
Tim - Radio is on 72Mhz AM and no signals present while tx is off, but you are right of course. Was just a thought. Maybe a "lost signal" driver would work to keep servos centered while no tx signal is present. that would ignore any spurious signals as well.
But you are right. I would still be hesitant to fly with the rx on anyway.
There must be a way to remotely turn the rx on and "take over" if needed though.
Just some idle thoughts on my part. Our field is not too large and FF models very quickly wander out of it if there is any kind of breeze blowing.
Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:35 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,541 Posts
>FF isn't allowed at my club (crops and woodland nearby).

Telford .. er .Shropshire? I could well be way out on this as it's 22 yrs since I departed the shores of Merrie Olde... but if I do happen to be right ... is Tern Hill still available to you?
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jan 16, 2005, 01:12 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I am always amazed at the dog-in-the-manger attitude of property owners. We negotiate field use all the time, and the stipulation is, "When the crop is maturing, stay off; otherwise fill your boots". Usually the farmer will phone and tell us when we can't fly, makes liffe very simple! Sure, they pay for the dirt, but why keep everyone off just because they "own" it? Ebenezer Scrooge lives on...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:32 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,836 Posts
Here's my set up with the Mills 75...
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Jan 19, 2005, 04:09 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Yep just how mine looks with an ORIG. Mills .75 in it. Have been trying to post pics on this site but can't make it work though.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:02 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
774 Posts
Gossie, would love to see some pics of your Tomboy. Check the size of the pics - they have to be under 100kb in size.

Nice engine - wish I had a mills.....

I have been drawing the extra two bays on each wing and have discovered an error on my plan, (could just be because it is a copy but I doubt it)

The RH wing half at the tip has the TE nearly 1/8" narrower i.e the width is 5 7/8" instead of 6". At the wing centre it is correct and progressively gets narrower to the tip. The spar and LE are correct on the plan. (Left panel is correct too)

Progress is slow at the moment. Got sidetracked by a huge garage/workshop cleanout that all started by looking for something which I have no clue now what it was.

As you can see, I always start with the easy bits....

Mark
Last edited by zl3vml; Jan 19, 2005 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Photo's missing from original post
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:54 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Yes it is to do with the copy, they stretch and move about. For example the full size Playboy Snr. plan l have one wing is all of 1/2 inch or more longer than the other.
You just have to check all this stuff before you start, if you want to make a proper job of it. Okay dumb question----how do l know if the pics are 100kb in size. l can build a free flighter, but am a 'puter dill. Maybe it's the wrong forum.
Just another clue when you build the wing, make sure the mainspar wood is tough or even a bit oversize, bit weak as it is. l build my models to fly and to last, and they do. Have some that have been flown and flown from the 60s and 70s and still going strong, only been recovered.
Last edited by gossie; Jan 19, 2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:25 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
774 Posts
Gossie - look at the picture size with explorer (properties)
If it is a photo it will be a lot larger and you will need to "reduce" it somehow.
(crop and resize using a graphics program and save it in .jpg format works best)

Or you could email it (them) to me and I will do it and send them back for you to post.

Yes on the mainspar - I have some birch (I think) that is nice and strong that I will use instead of balsa.
Also intend to use some hard strip for the LE. Have to make it strong in the wing dept as we have fences with some real mean fence posts around our field and there aint one of them that has not caught at least one model in it's time!

Mark
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:43 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,541 Posts
>I have some birch (I think) that is nice and strong that I will use instead of balsa.

Spruce would be better, I think ...
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:51 PM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
774 Posts
Maybe it is sprue - you could be right. I bought it sooo long ago I have no idea what it is anymore and dont recognse the grain.
(Looks more like Pine than anything else but it definately would not be)
Mark
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:21 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Thanks for info. on pics, will see what we can do.
Brain went into gear before, and l did use spruce on my Tomboy. Know about the fences in N.Z. have flown in the Trans Tasman F/F several times and had an F1A strain its self through a barb wire one on a windy day----there was not much left, even broke the fibre glass boom into 3 pieces. What a mess.
Hi Jim, still cold there? 35c here today, just been swimming, jetskiing tomorrow.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:19 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,541 Posts
.Hi Jim, still cold there? 35c here today, just been swimming, jetskiing tomorrow.

Ah, SHADDUP!!! Sadist!! Bright and sunny, snow on ground and -25C

Do you fly the .75 in a 36" or 44" Tomboy?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:36 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Hoohoo, bitter! We had -20 here for a few days, very unusual. Besides, he IS paying for his weather by straining models through fences, that should be enough balance.

I still have a Doonside Mills; this was the very best of all the .75s I've had! It runs a LONG time on its little tank, and would seem to be getting better every time I run it. I see that Burford is still around, working with other designers; anyone know if Ivor F. is still with us? hey sure built great engines.

The Doonside makes the Indian Mills look and run like junk (any of the Indian Mills I owned, including my 1.3), but one MUST be careful with freeflight; they will fly away!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle