HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2004
106 Posts
T-hawk look alike?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGTJ6&P=ML

I wonder if this plane as durable as T-hawk...
Warden is offline Find More Posts by Warden
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
for $90 it doesnt seem to be as good as a value as a t-hawk..in my opinon..the t-hawk gives you so many xtras for a bit more money..I think this is important to any newbie..but it probably flies like the t-hawk..same design...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:50 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
From the description this has the earlier two stick transmitter with the motor on/off switch - so it's like a white version of the older T-Hawk. The airframe sure looks like it's the same, though. I'd thought this "Hot Bodies Skywave" was the same airframe for some time.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
no throttle control either??...Id have to say the T-Hawk still has the market cornered in over all value for a begginer rtf then... I also know theyre service was top notch when I bought my thawk...whenever I called..I always got a live person to promptly answer my questions..which means alot to me...not being put on hold for 15 minutes..or geting a prerecorded message..
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:35 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Faux T-Hawk?

Look carefully at the "specs" and you see lots of compromises in this design, and some mismatched hardware:

1.) Landing gear wire is as flimsy or worse than that of the T-Hawk
2.) Throttle is on/off, not proportional
3.) Tnx freq. is on 27 Mhz, but is it AM or FM, and NO CHOICE of channel
4.) DC Peak charger "included" had two charge rates, 1.5 and 3.0 Amps.
Now, the supplied battery is 600 mAh. Normal 1C charge rate would be
0.6 Amps. So, you push this to 2C and you get 1.2A. You just know
a newbie with little or no patience will use the 3.0 amp charge rate, and
that is 5C! Wonder how long those NiMH's will last, knowing that over-
heated NiMH's will degrade quickly.
5.) Wall charger unit is 300 mAh, or 0.5C, so there is a 2 hour charge time.
6.) Spare prop? OK, but where are the other spares, as provided by the
T-Hawk supplier?
7.) Can you effectively speak Manderin? Or possibly Hung-Sing-Wang when
you call for techincal help??

Sorry, Virginia, but there is no real comparison to the T-Hawk other than appearance, IMHO.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Well said Doug..I still say the t-hawk is the best value around..running a close 2nd is the sky-scooter pro2//for $139.00 includes everything needed to fly..along with a 72mhz tx/rec..what a deal...was thinking of buying the stryker..its getting great reviews for its flying ablitly..but at $170..it seems a bit expnsive to me ..for basically a foam flying wing..that comes with a 27mhz toy tx...the manufacturer of that plane is making a KILLING...lol..
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
The Aero Voyager RTF might be a $100 price point candidate.
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:45 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
>>"the t-hawk is the best value around..running a close 2nd is the sky-scooter pro2//for $139.00 includes everything needed to fly..along with a 72mhz tx/rec.."<<

Not familiar with the Sky-Scooter Pro2. However, if it is supplied with a 72 mHz transmitter & receiver, that makes for quite a deal indeed, and definitely is better than the Tnx supplied with the T-Hawk. ESC from the
T-Hawk apparently is a 15W Wattage unit, not sure who makes the 27 mAh Rcvr.

Well, if and when I completely trash the T-Hawk, I will have to give the Sky-Skooter a look.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
yes Doug,,I think youll like it alot...its quite a bit faster then the t-hawk..and can perform nice aerobaitics right out of the box..loops from LEVEL flight..barrel rolls..inverted flight..etc...also very easy to modify/upgrade..I just put a brushless setup in mine..waiting for a good day to fly..should do 40 mph with plenty of torque to do some nice vertical climbs from level flight....
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:53 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Scooter Hooter!

Who makes this model, and where from whom can it be purchased?

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Doug,,,:trash the t-hawk">>>??,,LOL..I think thats almsot impossible...unless you run it into a garbage disposal unit in your kitchen sink...I havent yet seen 1 thread on here where someone trashed the t-hawk so badly that it had to be thrown away and or wasnt repeairable,,yet another t-hawk plus...
Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:40 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
My T-Hawk currently has a broken tail boom - flipped in a gust and went in inverted from about 10 feet and the boom snapped through one of the pushrod exit holes. I already have the replacement boom but I'm not looking forward to doing that replacement. I'll have to use the spare horizontal tail and wing to bring it back to fully flight-worthy after that as well, though I could probably shore up the creased stab and wing if I really had to.

Sky Skooter is a HiTec product - unless they've changed it recently the supplied radio is a Focus 3.

If you go to the Hobby People site and look at spare equipment for some of their RTFs like the little Cessna I think you'll see things (receiver, ESC) that look familiar. T-Hawk servos appear to me to be the same as Cirrus CS-6.5s.

The Hot Bodies plane package says the battery is NiCd, which makes the charger slightly more plausible - but not much.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:04 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
On/Off Motor and odd stick arrangement, no channel selection. You get what you pay for.

It could be a lot of fun if you fly it primarily as a glider. Power to height and then let it glide. Mostly you would use the rudder to circle and look for thermals. Would not need a lot of elevator action. But you won't learn much about using the controlls of an RC plane as I have not seen another controller with that layout.

Durable? Maybe, but can you get parts?

Probably flies though and for $89, could be fun, but I would not recommend it to anyone.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 13, 2005 at 04:08 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
BEC....go to your local craft/hobby store//and make copies of your rudder/stabilizer..that way you have xtras..and will never have to buy them again...sky-scooter comes with focus S.S. 72 mhz A.M. radio..works great..no glitches at all...fot the t-hawk..the only xtras I ever had to buy was the servo gear sets..I keep a few on hand..if you crash the thawk reall really hard..sometimes the upper servo gear will strip..but its easily repairable...there were 2 versions of the sky scotter..the lolder version suked..the newer version is fantatstic in my opinion..I bought 2 of them i LIKED SOME MUCH..$139..ITS HARD TO BEAT..
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I forgot to say..get balsa wood..at your craft/hobby store..to make copys..lol..