Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
Easy Star build questions

Picked up a Futaba 4 Channel Radio kit that came with the following:

TX: 4YF
RX: R127DF
SX: S3004 (4 of them)

I would like to get an Easy Star as my first plane (well, 2nd, but Outlaw isn't much of a "plane" ) and have been looking at building with the above stuff to start out with.

I figure I need an ESC, battery, and charger in addition to the plane itself and have looked at the following:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUZ2&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGHE3&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHNW5&P=7

I'm just not sure if those things would work or not with this? All the battery and ESC stuff is a bit confusing. I was thinking Li-Po b/c they are lighter and would make up for the extra RX/servo weight.

Also, when finally trying to hook it up, will I have to use the RX battery that came with the kit? Or do you splice it with the motor battery?

Search function isn't working atm, or I'd do a more extensive search.

Great stuff on these forums btw. A little daunting with all the info.
mrX is offline Find More Posts by mrX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:31 PM
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
I have an Easy Star that I can't find anything to complain about. Below is my setup, perhaps you can map these to other products since there's no unique better way of doing things:

Tx: JR XP6102
Rx: JR R610M
Servos: Hitech HS-81

ESC: Pixie 20 amps
Connectors: Tamiya style

Battery:
Kahn 1050 flat pack

You may want to rethink the lipo stuff unless you know how to handle them. If I build another EZStar, I would conside Dean connectors between ESC and motor and between the ESC and batteries.

The EZStar is an awesome beginners plane, have fun!
DaGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaGuy
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:58 PM
Brad
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
Dont worry about weight with the Easy Star i have about a pound of glue on it and it still flys great!! And i carry a camera.
bradinsb is offline Find More Posts by bradinsb
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:24 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,402 Posts
mrx,

Those things will work but....(always a but )...you should get a heavier battery. The weight of the other things you mention is not going to be a big deal and about the only thing that you can mess up with the EZ is it being tail heavy. If you are going to use the sp400 6v that comes with the kit, find a 7.4v Lipo around 2000mah..The weight can be 4-5 oz and you should be ok. The CG with that weight will be very close if the battery is right up in the nose.

Keep in mind that the ESC that you are using (thinking about using?) will not cut the motor until your battery is way beyond the recommended discharge. Its not a problem, you just need to land before you ruin your lipo. The other big thing (with the lipo batteries) is watch you "c" rating. You may cook the lipo if you run around full throttle depending on what you get.

You may want to try some KAN1050s (brick config - 8 cells)....If you get a few 8 cell packs you can disregard everything in the previous paragraph You can abuse them (I did ) they come back for more!

You can PM me if you have any questions. Also check out the EZ* thread in the Foamies section. I started there almost a year ago and learned alot.

Tom

Edited: Check some of the forum sponsors for batteries and an ESC...you may get a better price....Also go to the for sale/wanted section and ask for what you need. You should get some replies. I lived off used stuff when I started. Good luck
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Last edited by tdab; Jan 12, 2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:48 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
Concur that you need a 4-5 ounce battery to make the EasyStar balance. Ours (the one my daughter and I reviewed for the Ezone here: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4545 ) needed 2s2p Kokam 1500s to balance on lithiums.

We've had good luck with cheapbatterypacks.com's NiMH packs with the airplane.

It will haul two of those servos and that receiver just fine.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:48 PM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
OK, more questions

The ESC (the first link in my post) is that going to be ok with some KAN 1050s? Will it have the auto cut off? Or should it cut off at a higher V? I'll be fine flying those for 20 mins at a time (if I'm figuring it right). "cooking" anything doesn't sound good to me, so I'd rather stay with safe batteries for my first.

BTW, the digital mail scale I have says the receiver and 2 servos weight 4 oz total.

Will the 8 cell burn up the motor?

Nice info in that review BEC. Thanks. Also, the Easy Star post seems to emphasize 8 cell 1050s, which seems the path I should go.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:20 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,402 Posts
mrX,

That ESC will be fine. Just don't fly around full throttle all the time, that is tuff on your battery pack too. Just use short bursts (if at all). Trust me, with 8 cell 1050's, you will not need full throttle Just use it when you first launch the plane and back off to about 60-70%. The plane will still fly great at half throttle.

I have heard people say that you will burn up the motor (6v sp400) on 8 cells, but I had over 100 flights on one with 8 cells and it was still strong went I went to a BL setup. Even if you do burn it up, the motor is cheap (less than $10)..its an easy fix.

Check the ForSale forum for 8 cell packs. Many folks are going to Lipos and there should be a few around on the cheap. If you don't see any, post a wanted to buy ad.

Peace,

Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:04 AM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
Got my easy star now and began the initial build of it. I have not purchased an ESC or batteries at this point. Can't fly it in this weather anyway, so going slow and trying to get it right.

My, hopefully, last question is where the ESC can be placed. The directions call for it to be put in a somewhat inaccessible area behind the motor. I'd like to put it in with the receiver and battery, and just run a wire to the motor. Just not sure if there are any interference issues with placing it there.

I've read through quite a bit of the easy star saga and not noticed an answer to this, may have missed it. Is there a FAQ for this plane somewhere?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrX
My, hopefully, last question is where the ESC can be placed. The directions call for it to be put in a somewhat inaccessible area behind the motor. I'd like to put it in with the receiver and battery, and just run a wire to the motor. Just not sure if there are any interference issues with placing it there.
These images shows the ready-to-fly configuration . . esc is just stuck on the inner left side.
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Jan 23, 2005, 02:51 AM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
personnaly,I DON'T think the easystar is a good beginners plane.. its so incredibly easy to control that whenever you move on to more advanced planes you'd try and fly those like the easy star = BAD

just my thoughts on the easy star, and I'm not saying its a bad plane.
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Jan 23, 2005, 03:58 AM
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Innocent
personnaly,I DON'T think the easystar is a good beginners plane.. its so incredibly easy to control that whenever you move on to more advanced planes you'd try and fly those like the easy star = BAD

just my thoughts on the easy star, and I'm not saying its a bad plane.
That strictly depends on what follow-up plane is. Should beginners start with a harder plane crash it few times; spend a good amount on parts, crash it again etc.?

I get feeling a good beginners plane teaches somethings well: orientation, proper amounts of stick movement. It also needs to be very durable. But the most important thing is to keep you wanting to come back to the field for more fun. The Easy Star passess those tests with flying colors.

After the Easy Star, the beginner if properly coached will move on to a stable aileron trainer. If he tries to go to 3D plane or a scale warbird then he's pretty much asking for it. You can also have an old timer spend some hours teaching you with a buddy box and an aileron trainer right from the start. However, some us have to learn on our own and probably would've dropped out of the hobby if it were not for a good streak of initial successes.
DaGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaGuy
Old Jan 23, 2005, 04:56 AM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
mrX
re ESC placement, those that place it directly at the motor are those that use a round, solder-onto-the-motor type of ESC. That's a matter of personal preference, I guess, has up- and down sides.
If you use any suitable ESC, you can place it in the canopy compartment. preferred placment is ,: battery forward, ESC and Rx velcroed anywhere in the back.
Most people eventually replace the dinghy toy connectors with either Deans or MPX.
BTW this IS the ES FAQ place. What you can't find with a search in the ES thread, you can ask - even if its been asked before (98% probability it has), people will answer.
I can understand anyones reluctance to read through 14x500+ posts ......

MR Innocent, I tend to agree with DaGuy re what's the purpose of an beginners plane.
I upgraded myself to a MPX Magister after the ES, Aileron trainer that has 3 times the mass of the ES, flys faster and needs more space. Plus, it prefers ROG (hand toss is possible but personally, I'd consider ROG less risky)
Sweaty palms, but it worked.
If you have the basics of how controls work, and the orientiation with the plane, your brain and body have an easy time adjusting to how much input you need bc the eye-to-hand coordiantion is already wired.
I did not find the ES's "easyness" a problem in transitioning to the bigger, more complex plane.
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99