Old May 30, 2005, 12:07 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice answer Tonystott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
I use contact cement (eg Shoogoo or similar) because when it lets go, it does so partially, so handling gets a bit squirelly, but you don't lose control, and you can then redo it. Lots of people suggest that there is too much flx in double-sided tape, whereas contact cement holds the servo really tightly.
I use the thin double sided tape or Shoe Goo. Jarhead
Jarhead is offline Find More Posts by Jarhead
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2005, 09:10 AM
Joined Mar 2005
45 Posts
Tail motor getting weak

I've got ~5 hours on my dragonfly 2004 and the tail motor seems to be getting weak. Is that fast? Did I do anything wrong? There is a capacitor or something on the back of the motor which has been banged around a bit and maybe isn't connected properly and doing its job anymore.

I ordered a replacement, but if they die this quickly, maybe I should use other parts, especially now that I'm flying with LiPo batteries. Like90 recommends the GWS IPS motor for the tail. Do people use that? Have people upgraded to brushless tails for longer life?

GWS, if the tail motors don't last very long, maybe you should make a brushless or belt-drive system.
KeithCu is offline Find More Posts by KeithCu
Old May 31, 2005, 10:02 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithCu
I've got ~5 hours on my dragonfly 2004 and the tail motor seems to be getting weak. Is that fast? Did I do anything wrong? There is a capacitor or something on the back of the motor which has been banged around a bit and maybe isn't connected properly and doing its job anymore.

I ordered a replacement, but if they die this quickly, maybe I should use other parts, especially now that I'm flying with LiPo batteries. Like90 recommends the GWS IPS motor for the tail. Do people use that? Have people upgraded to brushless tails for longer life?

GWS, if the tail motors don't last very long, maybe you should make a brushless or belt-drive system.
Are you running 2s or 3s lipo packs? 3s will burn out the tail very quick.

I've been waiting for my tail to burn out so i can replace it with a brushless.... but it just keeps going strong. As a matter of fact the tail motor is about the only thing i have not replaced .

IMHO, its not worth going brushless on your tail unless you're already running a brushless main.
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old May 31, 2005, 10:14 AM
Joined Mar 2005
45 Posts
I'm running 2s.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:07 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS tail motor come with carbone brush build in as B2C motor.

Quote:

Did you check your tail motor may be bent shaft due to the tail rotor hit something during heavy landing or heavy shocked?

GWS tail motor come with carbone brush build in as B2C motor. IPS motor too!

Our motor last 2~3 times longer than the other China copies.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 31, 2005, 03:08 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice question

Quote:

Contact my friend Richard at richard@gws.com.tw he is the man for the questions. Jarhead
Old Jun 01, 2005, 10:16 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Any new Dragon Fly experiances?

I am going flying today. I am flying 3D, Slow, pattern and heli. Will post some pics when I return. Jarhead
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:18 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead
I am going flying today. I am flying 3D, Slow, pattern and heli. Will post some pics when I return. Jarhead

hey jarhead, you need to quit playing school
davejp21 is offline Find More Posts by davejp21
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:54 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
It Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejp21
hey jarhead, you need to quit playing school
Jarhead the School Boy! I like that
Last edited by Jarhead; Jun 09, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 03:41 AM
Joined Mar 2005
45 Posts
Swashplate weights

My dragonfly didn't come with a set, but my friend who ordered an all in one dragonfly kit got them.

I just put them (mounting them as far out as they could go) hoping to make the dragonfly more stable, though I've finally got it quite stable without them.

Any advice on where to put them or whether they are still necessary?

Having a great time flying mine. Very comfortable with tail in hovering now, and only need the training wheels when it's facing me.

I've had to crank down the max throttle more and more as it doesn't have enough resolution otherwise. I wonder if I could tweak the throttle curve on my radio

BTW, got a new tail motor, put it in with some soldering help from a friend, broke it in by running it very slowly with no prop on, and I hope it will last me for a year till I'm ready for a brushless CP belt drive GWS dragonfly.
Last edited by KeithCu; Jun 06, 2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:48 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice question

Quote:
My dragonfly didn't come with a set, but my friend who ordered an all in one dragonfly kit got them.

I just put them (mounting them as far out as they could go) hoping to make the dragonfly more stable, though I've finally got it quite stable without them.

Any advice on where to put them or whether they are still necessary?

Having a great time flying mine. Very comfortable with tail in hovering now, and only need the training wheels when it's facing me.

I've had to crank down the max throttle more and more as it doesn't have enough resolution otherwise. I wonder if I could tweak the throttle curve on my radio

BTW, got a new tail motor, put it in with some soldering help from a friend, broke it in by running it very slowly with no prop on, and I hope it will last me for a year till I'm ready for a brushless CP belt drive GWS dragonfly.
Keith, The weights are to make the heli more stable. Are you needing more stability? if not you do not need them. If so you put them all the way out for easy control and move them in for manuverability. Jarhead
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:41 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Check out these pics!

Posted earlier but too small. Jarhead hard at work at GWS USA working on your Choppers to keep them flying! Jarhead
Last edited by Jarhead; Jun 09, 2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 02:06 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,367 Posts
Jarhead

Back on the boards again at last, Jarhead Im sorry I did not get a chance to go to the RCX show I would have loved to meet you. I introduced my brother to the Dragonfly and he will be buying a complete kit soon all GWS baby! he is going to start with the EM150 and learn how it all works-little brother me will help him get all the kinks worked out make the learning cure a lot smaller I hope.

After seeing the pictures is that he GWS offices your sitting at?

Wow now im real jelious can I have your seat for just one day!

Or even just a tour of the building.

Robert
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Jun 09, 2005, 02:16 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Thanks tallflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Jarhead

Back on the boards again at last, Jarhead Im sorry I did not get a chance to go to the RCX show I would have loved to meet you. I introduced my brother to the Dragonfly and he will be buying a complete kit soon all GWS baby! he is going to start with the EM150 and learn how it all works-little brother me will help him get all the kinks worked out make the learning cure a lot smaller I hope.

After seeing the pictures is that he GWS offices your sitting at?

Wow now im real jelious can I have your seat for just one day!

Or even just a tour of the building.

Robert
Thanks Robert, I'll be down your way on July 9th and 10th. Jeff
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:54 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
As to the above link

Let me know if any of you can be there. Jeff