HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2005, 10:05 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
I will bring GWS new rotors and PHA300 preproduction samples to RCX show!

You and our helpers will have the chance to use them for demo fly.

Who had GWS Dragonfly with PHA-01, you are welcome to bring to RCX, we will more than happy to help you check it and set up back to right position.
Since i am unable to make it to the RCX show, how about just telling me what setting i have done wrong to make the tail motor keep running after i land? If i pick up the heli while the tail is spinning it will stop spinning if i walk in a circle, but when the heli is standing still at 00% throttle the motor just runs until i unplug it. The problem has been there every since i first got my Dragonfly. It flys good though while i'm in the air it's just annoying to have the tail rotor always spinning.

edit: my PHA-01 is set at 12 o'clock on the mixer and 1 o'clock on the gyro. It also does it if the gyro is set all the way +.
mildewing is offline Find More Posts by mildewing
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2005, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,346 Posts
mildewing

Which Dragonfly version do you have- 150-300 also what Radio are you using to and stuff like that i might be able to help you get it dialed in!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old May 14, 2005, 09:23 AM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Thanks tallflyer! I have the 300 model and i'm using the OEM GWT4AII. I have had the same problem with two different PHA-01's(the first PHA-01 burnt from user error). I have cut out a space in the PHA-01 cover where others have put heatsinks but, the FET and gyro(or whatever it is that people put heatsinks on) are always totally cool to the touch so i can't imagine how putting a heatsink there would help me.

She still fly's good and the run-on doesn't appear to effect flying at all.
Old May 14, 2005, 09:55 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Do you have some pics of your heli?

Did you add on any option parts or replacement other than GWS origials?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 14, 2005, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,346 Posts
mildewing

Ok I hope I can Help with the setup of your helicopter, lets assume you have made not modifacation to your helicopter and you are using all GWS parts,

when you plug in your battery does the green light come on and when it does so does anything move, tail motor main blades?

Are your trim tabs on your radio right in the center for the main rotor and the tail rotor when you first plug in the battery.

Which battery are you using anyways.

ok lets asume you have all the things above correct.

( everyone should listen to this alot of people forget this fact)
A fresh battery pack when pluged into your mixer will sometimes not setup right the first time you might have to unplug and plug it in to get teh mixxer to fire right, and as the battery starts to lose its juice you might have to apply a little more rudder to keep the nose straght as your battery level come down the main rotor speed changes so the mixerboard needs a little help! this does not mean your board is bad its just the nature of the beast.

Ok now lets assume again all is right where are your setting set on your mixerboard when answering this question just pretend that the little screws are a clock and tell me the information like 12 oclock and 3 oclock so I can get a good understanding of where your setup is.

Mr Lin Hello! I have to be in Alanta the Weekend of the Hooby show in Los Angeles

I wish I could get away I can only dream!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2005, 03:53 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Quote:
Do you have some pics of your heli?

Did you add on any option parts or replacement other than GWS origials?
Like i said before the problem was there right out of the box before i added any options or made any mods.
Last edited by mildewing; May 14, 2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:21 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
mildewing

Ok I hope I can Help with the setup of your helicopter, lets assume you have made not modifacation to your helicopter and you are using all GWS parts,

when you plug in your battery does the green light come on and when it does so does anything move, tail motor main blades?
Yes the light comes on and sometimes the tail rotor spins but i just unplug to reset and then it is good.

Quote:
Are your trim tabs on your radio right in the center for the main rotor and the tail rotor when you first plug in the battery.

Which battery are you using anyways.
yes the trim tabs are centered when i plug in. I am using 7.4v 900mah lipo now but like i said before it was happening right out of the box with the stock birdseed.

Quote:
ok lets asume you have all the things above correct.

( everyone should listen to this alot of people forget this fact)
A fresh battery pack when pluged into your mixer will sometimes not setup right the first time you might have to unplug and plug it in to get teh mixxer to fire right, and as the battery starts to lose its juice you might have to apply a little more rudder to keep the nose straght as your battery level come down the main rotor speed changes so the mixerboard needs a little help! this does not mean your board is bad its just the nature of the beast..
Yes i have noticed those things but like i said it fly's fine it's just the tail rotor doesn't stop when i stop.

Quote:
Ok now lets assume again all is right where are your setting set on your mixerboard when answering this question just pretend that the little screws are a clock and tell me the information like 12 oclock and 3 oclock so I can get a good understanding of where your setup is...
Once again i have already answered this above in the original post. It is at 12 and 1 now but i have tried 12 and 3. I have also tried fine tuning the mixer by going up and down a little but 12oclock is where its happy.

I am not alone with this problem several other users have posted in the past with the same issue and i have yet to see a solution.Most of the stuff you mentioned above i did have to learn from trial and error since the heli comes without a users manual.But the stuff like " does the green light come on?" Well of course it does or i wouldnt be able to fly... and it fly's fine.

I do appreciate your help and if you have any suggestions about why the tail motor runs on it would be great, but i really feel i'm wasting my time answering obvious questions.

EDIT: maybe you or Mr. Lin could name some specific things that would cause my specific problem and i could check those?
Last edited by mildewing; May 14, 2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old May 14, 2005, 05:59 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,427 Posts
Success!

I almost hate to post a report of having success with a Dragonfly since the theme here seems to be "woe is me". I bought a used Dragonfly last week and have been attempting to learn to fly it. At first I couldn't keep the heli from spinning. This is a 150 model with the geared tail rotor. The little tail motor was shot. I bought a direct drive motor with the 3x2 props and now the tail works as advertised. I have been flying and recharging today since noon and can now hover for 30 - 60 sec at a time in my garage. If I had a bigger area to fly in I think that I could keep it in the air for the whole battery pack. So far I haven't had any problems with the PHA-01. The mixer gain is set at 12 and the gyro gain at about 2. I intend to try flying outside the garage as soon as the wind quits blowing. Here in Kansas that could be several months from now!

Charlie
radfordc is online now Find More Posts by radfordc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More N-28
Old May 14, 2005, 09:08 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildewing
EDIT: maybe you or Mr. Lin could name some specific things that would cause my specific problem and i could check those?
If you did not use enough mixer rate for tail rotor RPM at hovering point, then you will use too much trim on rudder to increase tail rotor RPM.

So, when you landed heli on ground, the rudder trim makes the tail rotor keep running.

You'd better to adjust tail rotor RPM when stay on groung. Then proceed the hovering similation by using a turn table for tail rotor mixing rate to balance the tail.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 14, 2005, 10:58 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Quote:
If you did not use enough mixer rate for tail rotor RPM at hovering point, then you will use too much trim on rudder to increase tail rotor RPM.

So, when you landed heli on ground, the rudder trim makes the tail rotor keep running.

You'd better to adjust tail rotor RPM when stay on groung. Then proceed the hovering similation by using a turn table for tail rotor mixing rate to balance the tail.
Thank You Mr.Lin! Thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

It will keep running though even if i don't trim the rudder while in flight.

I will try and trim the tail RPM better while on the ground. I will also try and make some kind of turntable setup so i can adjust at hover point. Is GWS still planning on selling a setup jig like the one you showed us?
Old May 15, 2005, 09:42 AM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,427 Posts
More flying this morning and up to hovering for 5 minutes at a time. I tried flying outside, but the wind was just a little too much. Here are some pic's of how I have my DF set up. You can see that I've added the DD tail motor and a battery platform in the front to help balace with lipo batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2005, 09:44 AM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,427 Posts
This shows where I mounted the 3 in 1 board and other equipment. So far the board is working perfectly.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2005, 09:46 AM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,427 Posts
I also added some springs to keep the blades from lagging and a head stiffener. This seems to really help smooth out the heli. No wobble at all and hovers very stable.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2005, 09:50 AM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,427 Posts
I'm finding that weight is critical. I have two different lipo batteries. With the light one, the heli flys at 275 grams, while the heavy battery pushes the weight up to 300 grams. I can feel the difference in how the heli flys. Also, the 150 motor just gets warm with the light battery and gets much hotter with the heavy battery. I think that once I get the training gear off and can fly at less than 275 grams it will perform great.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2005, 11:10 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,346 Posts
radfordc

great pictures

And congrats on your Hover times, I remember when I first got into Electric helicopters and I was jumping up and down when I did my first 1 minute hover I was like thats too cool! then 2 minutes then five then a full battry pack then liipo packs came out and I think my longest indoor with no wind or interference flight was like 15-20 minutes funny flying a micro can really tired out your brain so many thing you have to focus on. keep up the great job
RCG Plus Member