Jarhead is offline Find More Posts by Jarhead
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:21 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
You got it Buddy!

You got it Buddy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildewing
Hello everyone!

This is my first post here although i've been reading for a couple days. There's alot of great info here, thanks!

I just bought a GWS Mini dragonfly with the DD. This is my first real RC vehicle of any kind so i truly am a newbie. My first couple of attempts werent so good but i'm happy to say she is still all in one piece and the only blood drawn so far is my own.

So far I only have a couple questions/concerns that arose while watching the setup video from the seminar.

1)When MrLin is setting(trimming) up his controller he moves the left stick right to activate the tail rotor and the right stick is the main blades. On my controller the left stick is the main blades but is it also the one that controlls the tail rotor if i move it right. Is my controller setup correctly or is it just the difference between mode1 and mode2?

2) after plugging and unplugging the battery about fifteen times to get the mix like in the video i have yet to have it so it only needs a couple clicks but instead it seems to always take about 50% of the stick movement to activate the tail rotor. Even if i click the trimmer all the way to the right it still needs about 50% of the stick to get the tail rotor to start spinning. Is there something i can adjust to make it trimmable? I have the mixer and gyro pots set at 12 o'clock and at maximimun just they way they came from the factory.

Any help at all would be appreciated, Thanks!

May I suggest that you check out the Jarhead Heli Club Link. There are tons of things going on in there to help you. Jarhead
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:20 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Thanks Jarhead!

I still havent been able to get it trimmed like in the seminar video, but the 3in1 usually sets itself well enough(on the 1st or second try) to keep the tail pointing towards me during liftoff.

So now i'm at the point where i can usually get it to lift straight up a few feet,but i havent figured out how to get it to drop slow yet it always falls hard or dives off in some direction. I just broke a landing skid after a 6ft freefall. Anyone got any tips to slow decent? besides not letting it get to high

Ive seen a few places to get parts mentioned here like GWSparts and GWSexpert is there one that is better than the others as far as shipping times and customer service?is there one to stay away from?
mildewing is offline Find More Posts by mildewing
Old Apr 01, 2005, 02:10 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,156 Posts
The trick is to avoid dropping the throttle too harshly. It is very natural to cut the throttle if it gets out ofshape, but with a heli, this removes all lift (obviously) and speeds up the rate of descent drastically. Keep practicing!
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Apr 01, 2005, 02:41 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Here is my setup stand.It works great,it only took me like 10 mins. to trim my DF.Nothing fancy just clamp it in a vise and you are ready to go!!
nstaller is online now Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Apr 03, 2005, 02:49 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
The trick is to avoid dropping the throttle too harshly. It is very natural to cut the throttle if it gets out ofshape, but with a heli, this removes all lift (obviously) and speeds up the rate of descent drastically. Keep practicing!
Thanks! I now have a spiral fracture in my tail boom and the landing gear and bracker plate are broke but i can hover 5-10 seconds and have learned not to dump the throttle execpt in emergencies. Sometimes when i am hovering it slowly goes to the floor on it own. When i start to see it begin to happen i give it more throttle but it still falls anyways and doesnt pick up again until after it softly bounces on the floor. I assume it is normal lag.

I also have an issue where sometimes after about 3-4mins after begining practice the tail motor stays on and i have to reset the 3in1. Is this from overheating? i can also hear the 3in1 working sometimes when my DF is just sitting there after recentering it in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller
Here is my setup stand.It works great,it only took me like 10 mins. to trim my DF.Nothing fancy just clamp it in a vise and you are ready to go!!
What are you using for the center spindle?
Old Apr 03, 2005, 08:18 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
I am using two wheel bearings out of a rc car (one on top of plexi and one underneath), a spacer under the plexi and a bolt with a lock nut.
nstaller is online now Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Apr 04, 2005, 09:30 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller
I am using two wheel bearings out of a rc car (one on top of plexi and one underneath), a spacer under the plexi and a bolt with a lock nut.
More pics of your device. Jarhead
Old Apr 05, 2005, 08:46 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice question

Quote:
Thanks Jarhead!

I still havent been able to get it trimmed like in the seminar video, but the 3in1 usually sets itself well enough(on the 1st or second try) to keep the tail pointing towards me during liftoff.

So now i'm at the point where i can usually get it to lift straight up a few feet,but i havent figured out how to get it to drop slow yet it always falls hard or dives off in some direction. I just broke a landing skid after a 6ft freefall. Anyone got any tips to slow decent? besides not letting it get to high

I've seen a few places to get parts mentioned here like GWSparts and GWSexpert is there one that is better than the others as far as shipping times and customer service?is there one to stay away from?
Your welcome mildewing. It is just a matter of time for you now, to keep on practicing. Small moves and slower decicions. will help. It's hard to belive that an extra secound to decide what to do next, rather than a hasty decicion in the wrong way, is better; but it is. If you need a place for parts, may I suggest dropping me an e-mail. I am a GWS dealer and I am going on line with a web site soon. Jarhead
Old Apr 07, 2005, 10:56 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
You got it Buddy!

Quote:
Thanks Jarhead!

Ive seen a few places to get parts mentioned here like GWSparts and GWSexpert is there one that is better than the others as far as shipping times and customer service?is there one to stay away from?
Soon, you will be able to go to Jarhead Hobbies and get fast, promt and courtious service. Jarhead
Old Apr 07, 2005, 11:53 AM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead
Soon, you will be able to go to Jarhead Hobbies and get fast, promt and courtious service. Jarhead
Nice site! If you can ship same day and have an option for USPS Priority then i would definately order from you

I had made my first order through GWSexpert and i was a little dissapointed because in the shipping section it said if i order before 4pm PST that it would ship same day. When i got to checkout it said i would have to pay about $10 extra to get it shipped same day .
Old Apr 08, 2005, 10:52 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Thank You!

Quote:
Nice site! If you can ship same day and have an option for USPS Priority then i would definately order from you

I had made my first order through GWSexpert and i was a little dissapointed because in the shipping section it said if i order before 4pm PST that it would ship same day. When i got to checkout it said i would have to pay about $10 extra to get it shipped same day .
Jarhead
Old Apr 08, 2005, 08:56 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
I replaced my tail boom and made some piano wire struts for my DF yesterday and now it wants to do the hula when i try to hover. As far as i can tell everything is true and balanced. Which is more likely to be at fault the tail or the struts?

edit: i went ahaead and posted this in the micro-heli forum
Last edited by mildewing; Apr 09, 2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:10 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice question

Quote:
I replaced my tail boom and made some piano wire struts for my DF yesterday and now it wants to do the hula when i try to hover. As far as i can tell everything is true and balanced. Which is more likely to be at fault the tail or the struts?

edit: i went ahaead and posted this in the micro-heli forum
I can not see how the boom or struts could cause this problem. What is the temperature when you fly? Too cold is wh I get the wobbles. This is because the blades are too stiff and the cone angle is shallow and pitch deflection is too great. Jarhead