SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2005, 09:44 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkasper
HB, JH! (but so not as to get off topic) Which radio for a beginner heli pilot? JR 6102, JR 9303, or Hi-tech Optic 6? Keep in mind that I may move to a CP heli after I master my DF.

(I could have posted in RADIOS, but since you guys are on or have learned on a DF, you can give me better advice.. )

Thanks,
Chad
Chad, thank you for the HB. On the topics of radios it's like the other guys have said, money is the issue. For the DF I use at shows I use the stock radio. for the stuf I have at home, I use the 9303. If I had $2,000.00 I swear I'd think about switching to Futaba. That 14 channel job is sweet. Jarhead
Jarhead is offline Find More Posts by Jarhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2005, 09:59 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,416 Posts
John Fruge, another pilot who flew demos in Ontario, CA, set his Dragonfly up with a positive shift receiver so he could use his JR 8103 and take advantage of the exponential feature in his transmitter. This way he had all of his helicopters set up pretty much the same way. John had some great improvement in his skills with his set-up and flying frequently for four days in a row (Practice day and the three days of the convention.)
So far I have only flown my Dragonfly with the standard GWS transmitter but I am thinking of changing to a positive shift receiver to go with my 9303 JR transmitter to use exponential on my Dragonfly to practice and get ready for my next helicopter which will be for outdoor (or at least large room). The Dragonfly flies fine with its standard transmitter but it will help get me ready for a collective pitch helicopter by making this transition.
Moderator Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:31 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Ok.. here is another tx question...

Im using my Futaba 6EXA.. and i hate the darn 'ratchet' on the throttle! It always seems the sweet spot to hover is right in the middle of a 'click'.

Im not sure i want a smooth throttle because 90% of my flying is flixed wing... Should i just live with the ratchet? buy a new TX for heli only? or do they make a TX that can be both (smooth for Heli... 'click' for planes).

~Brian
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:49 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
The JR radio I have came with 2 spring steel 'ratchets', one with a tooth to give ratchet action, one smooth for heli flying. As I fly opposite modes with fixed wing & helis I use a seperate transmitter for both as swapping the springs over is much more trouble than just the ratchet!

I have a small FP heli (not GWS) as well as my Raptor 50 and this came with a cheap 4 channel transmitter. I turned the steel ratchet round the outher way which gives a smoother action as the tranny is fine for the FP, the JR PCM9X being a litlle overkill maybe The other problem is that the JR uses different channels than the standard and its a problem with the mixer board.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:33 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer
SNIPJohn had some great improvement in his skills with his set-up and flying frequently for four days in a row (Practice day and the three days of the convention.)SNIP
Moderator Mike
Ain't that the truth! I was once employed to demonstrate the manufacturer's range of R/C cars outside the pavilion at an international toy fair for two days. Two 8 hour days of driving (we had unlimited cara, batteries, chargers and 12v car batteries) saw my skills skyrocket!
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:30 PM
So Slow Flyer
Modesto CA
Joined Feb 2005
7 Posts
Hey what's up Jarhead!
J Capps is offline Find More Posts by J Capps
Old Feb 11, 2005, 02:29 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Flying latly?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 05:24 AM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,768 Posts
I got around to replacing the drive shaft but it still has the problem it has had straight from the box.. severe head wobble, Iv tried the blades tight and loose but the thing shakes like mad! and when its airborn it looks like a bucking bronco and I cant keep it up from more than a few seconds... This is what has kept this thing from flying!
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Feb 11, 2005, 06:43 AM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,768 Posts
cut the main frame off and replaced. also need a new main drive shaft. I shortened the boom by about 1/4 of an inch. should this matter?
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Feb 11, 2005, 09:59 AM
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68STrat-DFAlpha
...severe head wobble, Iv tried the blades tight and loose but the thing shakes like mad! and when its airborn it looks like a bucking bronco and I cant keep it up from more than a few seconds... This is what has kept this thing from flying!
Check this thread... You can also try some wood blades (Like90).

~Brian
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Quote:
cut the main frame off and replaced. also need a new main drive shaft. I shortened the boom by about 1/4 of an inch. should this matter?
why did you cut the main frame and boom?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:11 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
It should

Quote:
I have never but i know someone that flys GWS who has. He said it makes it less tail heavy. Jarhead
Last edited by Jarhead; Feb 11, 2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:38 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead
I have never but i know someone that flys GWS who has. He said it makes it les nose heavy. Jarhead
I cannot agree Jarhead, especially as the latest "barebones" 300 has a boom standard which is 1/2 an inch shorter. It is possible to shorten the boom by even more than an inch, and then balance the heli by moving the LiPos.

Also there is enough travel in the standard NiMh holder to compensate for a shorter boom.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:08 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Tony, I ment to say tail heavy. Jarhead
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:13 PM
Modding & Hovering
North Texas
Joined Jan 2005
72 Posts
DF G109 Springs and L90 HS Help

Can you guys confirm that this head setup is correct to include Geoffrey109's spring kit and the Like90 carbon fiber head stiffner?

Thanks,
Chad
cwkasper is offline Find More Posts by cwkasper