HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2001, 09:19 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Hi, FYI
re: Prop and cowl size. See the latest RCM article on the GeeBee. He has a 12" cowl, and after flying with a 14" prop he tried a 12" prop on that 12" cowl and didn't see any real difference in performance!

The prop is out in clean air in front of everything and doesn't care.
But it sure looks funny to have a prop the same size as the cowl!

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2001, 10:05 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Dave, you're quite right. Much of my decision was based on esthetics, not function. The 1:1 has a huge prop and I think the one I've chosen should look great in the air. Cheers, Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Jul 22, 2001, 12:48 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Pictures Tex, we need pictures! I really have a soft spot for the F4U, how soon do you think it'll be ready for flight?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 22, 2001, 12:58 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Pica 1/12 Corsair

FWIW: I've started on a Pica F4U and thought it worthwhile to mention it on this forum. This kit is totally interlocking, laser cut and of fairly good wood. The model seems to be quite good scale, the fuse has the proper shape, etc. Sheeting the fuse is a piece of cake, all the wood is sized to form to the compound curves and locks into place with tabs.

I will use an AF05G with 8x1000 cells, 2 servos(no rudder). The cowl is 5" diameter and needs a good sized prop like the 12-8 or 12-10. Covering will be Ultracoat white painted with Krylon deep blue. From my experience with other small warbirds, this should be a really nice flying plane. Tex.

Later: OTOH, having just wrestled with the wing construction, maybe these engineers didn't earn their pay after all! The basic idea of Pica's lock-together construction is still a good one, but in making the wing, the wood doesen't fit together the way it should. Too many angles were not taken into consideration when cutting the kit, hence much of the pre-glue assembly is "sledge hammer" fit and not easy to do. I did a major sanding of the allignment jig parts and came to a reasonable agreement with the balsa. In retrospect, I think that I would rather have built the wing without all the "engineering". T.

[This message has been edited by Sabrejock (edited 07-21-2001).]
Old Jul 22, 2001, 06:47 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Greg, this project was started because we're havin' a heat wave. In the high 20's with humidity in the 90's, no wind. Dog days you'd call them. I pulled this one down from the rafters for something to do in the shop. When the wx smartens up it's back to the field! Cheers, Tex.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 01:39 PM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Sabrejock,
Keep us posted on this one. I'm considering one myself using 10 cells and maybe a MagMayhem geared or an Astro 035G.
If you get a chance weigh some of the components after your construction.
Thanks, Brad
byoung is offline Find More Posts by byoung