HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2005, 02:18 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Legend Model Boats "Thunderbolt" Kit Review

The kit for the Thunderbolt landed on my doorstep today The most recent release, designed by Rich Coll of Legend Model Boats, a collaberation between M.A.C.K. Products and Dumas, is now being manufactured by Dumas, and is available from both Dumas and M.A.C.K.
I know better than to build two Mahogany Boats at the same time but when I first saw the ad for the new 1939 Century Thunderbolt, I knew I was in trouble! And now that the kit has arrived I'm going to have to get started building it.
At first glance, the kit looks very nice, with a combination of dye and laser cut parts. The wood quality is excellant, and comes with a complete instruction booklet containing construction photos rather then the typical isometric drawings we're used to seeing in previouse Dumas offerings. The design itself is also a bit different, and once construction begins I'll cover the details.
The boat will be powered by the recomended 12V 05 on 12 cells. The light kit, available for this kit from M.A.C.K., will also be installed. Keep an eye out, I'll be getting started real soon.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jan 11, 2005 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:43 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,686 Posts
WOW!!! that looks like it is actually hydroplaning! I may have to avoid this thread Pat!!! (looks too cool!)
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 11, 2005, 09:31 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Aero, Hey, don't go and doig a thing like that Even if you don't build one of your own, I'll let you drool over mine.
When I talked to Rich, he told me that this thing will definately climb up on the plane. Just imagine, a hydroplane that works, and a mahogany boat all rolled up in one neat little package -- it just doesn't get any better then that
PAT
Old Jan 11, 2005, 09:39 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,686 Posts
Hee-hee, I'll keep watching but if you move me to buy another boat Pat, I'll have to let you explain it to my wife!!! Looking forward to your impressions / build pictures on this one! Also noticed that Legend is comming out with a '63 Lyman which looks great too!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 08:12 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Aero, I didn't do it on purpose, but alot of guys wives won't let me play with there husbands anymore around here either But, the thing that usually does the trick is to invite them over for dinner, show them around the shop and let them see how good they really have it My wife is used to it now, but there was a time when she didn't understand why a guy would need more then 1 boat or airplane.
One guy went so far as to ask his wife for "advice" on building the cabin furniture for his Thomson Trawler after he , shall we say, "messed it up" Since she built doll houses, she jumped right in and "fixed" his mess, and has been doing the inside work on his boats ever since What a plan!
I saw the photos of the Lyman too, and as soon as it's out, I'll review that one too. I read an article in the Apr 2001 Wooden Boat magazine about the Edgecomb Boat Works in Maine, where I found several beautiful color photos of several of the Lyman boats. These guys specialize in repair and restoration of these old clasics.
I just hope those guys hold off until I get the other two done. If they don't, I'll have 3 projects going, and that's a definate no-no.
PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jan 12, 2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 08:42 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
A Good Once Over

Got into the kit last night and took a good close look at the contents. First, the box is FULL! and not because it's a small box either. I appears there will be not only enough wood to build this boat, but get you a good start on your next project too. There are two bags of metal parts, including the engine hatch cover hinges -- a very nice touch.
One thing I notice was the lack of structural plans. The way the boat is designed and the parts cut, I don't anticipate any problems in construction, it just feels a little awkward not to have the line drawings handy for reference. More on that later if it turns into a problem.
I also scanned the instructions and construction photos, and they look to be quite complete, so don't anticipate a problem there either. My first impression of the kit is that it's going to be a good one.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 08:59 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
The Running Gear

I'll be using the power pack from M.A.C.K to set up the boat. The components are nicely done, and the package complete, right down to the double U-joint. The rudder assembly alone is a work of art!
What's really nice is that the prop shaft and rudder stuffing boxes, and the strut are bronze bushed on both ends. The fit on the prop stuffing box is just a tiny bit on the snug side, so the bushings can be lapped in for a very smooth running shaft.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jan 12, 2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 09:11 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
The Lighting Kit

Finally, there's the lighting kit. The forward nav lights and the rear running light are pre-assembled and fit the hardware provided in the kit. No switch was included in the kit, but I'll plug it in with a Deans 2 pin mini connector to save weight anyway, so that's no big deal. Though lighting the boat is not a necesity, it's a really nice touch for such a beautiful boat.
PAT
Old Jan 13, 2005, 03:35 PM
Casey Thrower Born for RC
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Folks look fast, because it will take Pat about 45 minutes to build this boat and get into the water. Makes me sick. I still say he has a shop full of helpers.
C Thrower is offline Find More Posts by C Thrower
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:31 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Casey, Go easy on us now, we don't want my 9 little Curmudgeons thinking I'm taking advantage of them and going on strike or something! If that happens it'll take me all week to finish this thing!!!
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:52 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Framing the Hull

The first step in building the T-Bolt is to remove all the dye and laser cut parts from their sheets and label them using the ID sheets in the instruction book.
Construction actually begins with the keel, which is laminated and assembled, from no less then 11 parts. Not to worry, it went together perfectly. The only catch was that there is no specific dimension given as to the actual location of the rudder bearing tube, so I lifted that from the full size general arrangement drawings. The dimension was measured on the side view, compensating for the thickness of the mahogany transom veneer.
Otherwize, up to this point the parts fit was near perfect, requiring no more then an average amount of trimming where dye cut parts are involved.
The only thing that I'm still not sure of, was the intended location of the holes near the bottom of the frames, which ended up on the LH side of the hull. The way they ended up where they are is because when frame 5 & 5A were laminated, it just happened to fall where it did, and there has been no mention of the orientation of the holes in the instructions. In hindsight, I'm thinking that the protrusion on frame 6 is intended to support the steering colum, which will be on the RH side. Time will tell, and if I blew it, I'll mention it later so someone else doesn't make the same mistake. Even so, even if it is backwards, it's not the end of the world, but a doubler will need to be fabricated to back up the mahogany instrument panel.
PAT
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:36 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,718 Posts
Pat -

MACK stuffing boxes have o-rings in them, which causes the shafts to be a little snug. Just put a little bit of grease on the shaft when you insert it into the stuffing box; there is no need to pack the box full of grease or oil. The knurled endgoes farthest from the water: on the prop stuffing box the knurled end goes towards the motor; on the rudder box the knurled end is up. I used a pair of MACK rudder stuffing boxes for the 6 wheel drive on my DUKW, and nother MACK stuffing box for the prop.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:00 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
CG, Thanks for the info, I didn't know the stuffing boxes had seals in them. Before the boat went in the water, I would have greased the shafts and the stiffness would probably gone away on its own anyway, but knowing about the seals, I won't worry about lapping in the bushings.
PAT
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:28 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,686 Posts
Glue?

Hey Pat, I noticed a bottle of Titebond on your workbench- Is that what you are using to frame this one up or are you using Cya?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:33 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Aero, I used titebond to laminate the keel parts, makes alignment so much easier. After that, medium Cya was used to hold it all together.
PAT