HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:34 PM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
Trying new wing design for Slow Stick

Does anyone remember when you pull your wing out of the packaging how it is folded in half. Did you notice how semi semetrical it looked. Well my theory and soon project if the rain ever lets up is to glue two SS wings together with a bass spar in the center between the 2 for strength. This should make the wings semi semetrical and with my added ailerons I could decrease dihedral and really have some fun.
Has anyone else tried this and what were your results?
I will keep ya'll posted with mine.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:56 PM
Daddy plane go boom!
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Nov 2003
138 Posts
Hi Sirdirk,

Last summer I scratch built my own wing for a Slowstick with the same dimensions as the original except that it had a flat bottom and ailerons. It turned out to have about 8 degrees of dihederal (I was trying for 5). The original slow stick wing has about 10 degrees. My ailerons were big to say the least, as I figured that they would need to be big if they were going to work at slow speed. It flys very well with the wing and makes a nice aileron trainer, a bit faster than stock but still with a predictable stall. Let me know if you want photos.

If you do a search there is a thread somehwere where some one took 2 wings and made a symetical wing out of them. I don't remember if it worked out though.

Good luck!
rooster is offline Find More Posts by rooster
Old Jan 10, 2005, 01:33 PM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
I used the standard cutouts of the ailerons on the original wing and it works great. I can almos roll it but the camber is pretty draggy so I have to add rudder and be in a up angle till it rolls then use down elevator while inverted to maintain altitude and finish the roll. It is very slow but as far as turning. I can turn on a dime.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007