HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by glue_sniffer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 11:38 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES2 View Post
The only way I know to do an eliptical wing in SW is to cheat. I've been on SW since '98, and its not yet in my toolbag.

One way, if you are just messing around, is to add taper to an extruded root section. It means you can only use a root section, no tip.

Other than that, when I need to CNC an eliptical wing, I build it in SurfCam. SW is fine for most wing design, but eliptical has eluded me also. I would be intersted to hear about a method also.

Cheers,
Kevin
It's easy in Rhino. Draw the leading edge, trailing edge, and do a 2-rail sweep on the root airfoil and you're good to go.
Montag DP is online now Find More Posts by Montag DP
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:11 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
It's easy in Rhino. Draw the leading edge, trailing edge, and do a 2-rail sweep on the root airfoil and you're good to go.
Somebody, somewhere said for the purposes of flying surfaces you actually want more airfoil sections stationed down the length of the planform & incorporated in the sweep. Otherwise this (2-rail) technique tends to distort the section airfoil outboard as its being influenced by the planform shape itself. (ie as opposed to using a single root). Fair enough. But its a very simple matter to use the scale & orient button-click commands to put as many sections as you like to attain tighter control. Or for that matter, smoothly blending different airfoil sections which serves aerodynamic purposes. Here are some 'eliptical-based' wing surface examples just for show. Note the one surface has smooth, upswung tips ala F5x wings.
ptxman is online now Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Dec 11, 2009, 04:15 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Somebody, somewhere said for the purposes of flying surfaces you actually want more airfoil sections stationed down the length of the planform & incorporated in the sweep. Otherwise this (2-rail) technique tends to distort the section airfoil outboard as its being influenced by the planform shape itself.
I haven't checked it out in detail, but wouldn't the 2-rail sweep automatically scale the airfoil heightwise based on the distance between the two rails in order to maintain the same cross-section shape?
Montag DP is online now Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:23 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,928 Posts
I think... the swept surface is influenced by the relative deviation of the rails. Without intermediate (rib) control, the fitted surface iso-contours may take on a different orientation.

In the orange surface I only used the root rib, see how the cross-chord iso-contours are drifting? In the green surface I included more 3d scaled rib stations in the same rail sweep. See how the cross chord iso-contours are now better lined up paralel to the normal chord direction. So the issue is with 'only root' you may not end up with the same section airfoil (meaning perpendicular to airstream) on the outboard panel, where it generally it counts more aerodynamically. When it comes to high perf stuff, this becomes an issue.

Once upon a time I did do a comparison by sectioning the root-only surface & it was indeed (very) slightly different. I guess 'how' different is a function of the particular airfoil + planform combination. As mentioned, its such a simple thing to place more control sections its not a big deal. Where it gets interesting is blends of different airfoils, sym>semi-sym varying camber, washout/twist etc. There you hav eno option but to place appropriate sections & loft through them.

Im not sure what to make of the zebra striping business, but I know funky tips always seem to create some weird results. Supposedly need even more control (rib stations) out there as the tip is deviating more. Maybe someone more 3d experienced can comment.

On rectangular or straight taper planforms, it doesnt matter I dont think. The single rib develops a proportional surface.
ptxman is online now Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,160 Posts
Very interresting. Thanks for the heads up ptxman!

Oh and if any of you guy's do requests. I would like to see the following done in simple 3D to help design a plane around it;

Hyperion DS09 servo with one sided horn as seperate part
Neu 1512 series motor with gearbox

Optional;
Thunder Power 5S 3850mah and 6S 3300mah packs

Files need to be usable in Rhino.

Joe
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jjmouris; Dec 23, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:38 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris View Post
Very interresting. Thanks for the heads up ptxman!

Oh and if any of you guy's do requests. I would like to see the following done in simple 3D to help design a plane around it;

Hyperion DS09 servo with one sided horn as seperate part
Neu 1512 series motor with gearbox

Optional;
Thunder Power 5S 3850mah and 6S 3300mah packs

Files need to be usable in Rhino.

Joe
Here is 9 gram servo modeled on an HXT900 from HK. I hope it works for you. Not familiar with the Hyperion servo you mentioned.

Cheers!

Gary

Hang on - need to make zip file for you.
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Dec 23, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:50 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,160 Posts
The Hyperion is almost the same shape as the Dymond D60 or Ripmax SD150, both are only 9mm thick.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:06 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Oh,

3d scaled to 9mm thick (.354)

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Dec 23, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:38 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,160 Posts
Ok, great to see this is now in it's own RC Groups section!!! Good stuff!!!

So how about a proper file of a Hyperion DS09 servo?!

RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
A very basic Dremel 200 in sketchup. It's not perfect, but the dimensions are right. I drew it for a cnc machine, I was drawing. -Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:38 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
There is a sketchup parts thread in the scratch built foamies section.
Free 3D! Sketchup Parts!

You can also find a number of parts in the Google 3D warehouse/ Try searching for aircraft to see a lot of models. Unfortunately, most of them weren't made with actual building in mind but worth a look.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:51 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
939 Posts
TURNIGY motors
dpot is online now Find More Posts by dpot
Last edited by dpot; Jun 03, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: mount for small motor
Old May 08, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hix
London UK
Joined Jan 2007
58 Posts
Tower Pro 9g SG90 Servo 2d dxf 3D step and Iges

Tower Pro 9g SG90 Servo 2d dxf 3D step and Iges
Hope they're fo use to some of you.
Hix is offline Find More Posts by Hix
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:29 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Apr 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
Hi!

If Someone has an elliptical (not trapezoidal) wing model in SolidWorks please upload it!

I try to draw an elliptical wing since a week but I can't do it
I just discovered this forum, so forgive me if I'm just replowing old ground..

Attached is quick Spitfire-like wing with an elliptical leading and trailing edge using a NACA 2412 airfoil. Just a simple swept solid body...

I think the key to making this type of thing work is to insure that the swept profile is correctly constrained, i.e., it maintains its proportional shape throughout the sweep. For airfoils, defining the swept profile as a single proportional spline usually works pretty well.

The attached .pdf show SW screen captures of the basic model. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to go over the process step by step...
sfahrner is offline Find More Posts by sfahrner
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
KIT Designer
Padova Northern Italy
Joined Jun 2010
185 Posts
To designers 1\2 A a necessary element - G-Mark 0.4cc modify.3dm - 1.85MB
Konstantin S. is offline Find More Posts by Konstantin S.