SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by glue_sniffer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:56 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
I got another file of the 2208a12 from AXI, even I can open this one no problem Here is is:
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2005, 03:43 PM
[This space for rent]
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue_sniffer
Hey mac
Blocks are a function of CAD - a way of dealing with parts - they're easy and extremely useful. It's like having....a parts bin in your program. that way you can keep pieces on hand, without having them clutter up your drawing. They're also very easy to set up - do you know how to make groups? In TurboCAD hold down the "Create Groups" button - you should see there's another called "Create Blocks" Hightlight something that you want to turn into a block, and then hit "Create Blocks" You will now see your part in the "Blocks" tab on the right side (along with Selection Info, Measurement Info etc..) Now simply name your block something useful. Easy! Blocks are great for a variety of uses - there's a thread that's a few days old that I started about spar/stringer notches - you can see in that thread how useful it would be to have your notches saved as blocks, so you just drag one out whenever the need arises.

-Sky
I think I get it now. It isn't a 3D thing. It is useful bits of drawings that you can cut and paste and rotate at whim to fit in the design that you are drawing (Shortcuts, for want of a better word). I will play with the blocks function as I am still learning how to use CAD programs. At the moment I am trying to input a free plan on to CAD, with my own modifications and I do cut and paste repetitive bits.
macr is offline Find More Posts by macr
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:24 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Even the most elaborate 3-D CAD project is printed on 2-D paper. I like 3-D for visualization and for parts interference. Other wise, while I think in 3-D, I mostly use the 2-D side of Acad.

Blocks and symbols and templates are what I've heard a fixed collection of lines are called. Acad uses blocks. I nest blocks within blocks such as the servo body with a servo arm. You can explode the first layer and have the arm to rotate to check linkage setups.

The best advice I can give for CAD is draw it once and use it multiple. Decent CAD drawings can take as long as hand drafting. It's the corrections that can eat up the time in hand drafting.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:42 PM
[This space for rent]
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
Sky, I have changed the DXF file of the motor mounts. looking at one of your motor mounts, I noticed that the mount holes were different to my 28/XX mount. So I did a bit of research and found that the 28/XX series has two standards. I have now updated them. I made blocks out of them, but don't know if they come with the file or not.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 09:17 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Micro Horn

I had the same issues as GS in opening some of the AXI files - many just a blank screen, and nothing obvious such as zooming to the drawing extent or changing background color revealed anything. One file contained blocks of print objects such as title block, drawing frame, and revision grid, but nothing else I could see.

Here's a sample dxf of a micro horn (Dubro IIRC, will look for mfg and part no. and update this post). Drawing is set up in decimal english units with no dimensions or hidden lines yet. I didn't bother to replicate the mold release slope on the base, but it should be close enough for government work.

Please let me know of any compatibility issues or error flags. Just saving as a dxf then reopening in TC 10.2 dlx revealed a few errors, so I resaved the reopened version. Original TCW (Turbocad native) format included as well.

Edit: attachment removed; please see later post with updated attachment.
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B
Last edited by Karl B; Jan 23, 2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:05 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Here is a metal clevis. Dubro I think.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:28 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Here is a nylon horn and backing all three views. Haven't done the fastener/screw yet.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 03:53 PM
[This space for rent]
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
New files added

I am getting used to the block function and I have added a few more mounts. For all the TurboCAD users , the blocks should come with this file.
I would like to make a nice collection of these mounts, so if anyone has a mount that I should add, then tell me and I will attempt to draw it.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
BTW, here's my new Christmas present to myself. Reads to .01 mm or .0005 inch. Schweeeet!

No more guessing with a plastic ruler reading in 1/16" or 1 mm increments.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 07:08 PM
[This space for rent]
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
I have a non digital version of that. I don't know how people could live with out one.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 05:11 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Skatty Motors DXF

Roger Su of Skatty Motors was kind enough to pass on a file with all of his brushless motor line. When I get a sec I will go back and create blocks from this file, and repost it in our agreed upon format, but I thought I would put it up first if anyone is interested. The files contains the following Skatty Motors:

300DF
300XT
400T
400F
400DH
400XT
400DF

and also the motor mount if you need to mount it to the front of a firewall.

Roger also let me know that he would be sending me an update later in the week with a reduction unit for the 400F motor that will run at 3.88:1

Like I said, I'll clean up the file when I get a chance later, but right now I've got to go paint while it's still warm out!!

Thanks to Roger Su at Skatty/Motor Max Motors!!!!
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:10 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Here's some - GWS IPS, GWS EDF 55, GWS EDF 40 and GWS foam wheels all in DXF format. All 3D solid models.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Added the matching Dubro micro keeper to the file I attached earlier. Edit - removed earlier file. 3 views each of two parts = six blocks. Again, let me know if there are any problems.

Dubro micro horn and pushrod keeper, both for use with single L-bend .032 wire:
Last edited by Karl B; Jan 23, 2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:35 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Guess this needs to bumped.
Old Mar 01, 2005, 05:30 PM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
I've got a bunch of 3D parts for rhino users... but after reading this thread I realize that they are probably not accurate enough for some of you, i did the measurements "with the plastic ruler:
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode