HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by glue_sniffer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:53 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
I just got a load of dwg files from AXI directly - only one I can view, the rest seem to be messed up, I'll post a zip of them - if you get a sec let me know if you can open any of them. The contact I have there seems very friendly and willing to help, so it shouldn't be a problem to go back to them if need be.

Had to post the zip on my comcast account - it's ~400k

http://home.comcast.net/~skyg/From_AXI.zip
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Last edited by glue_sniffer; Jan 12, 2005 at 11:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:38 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
I was looking at the original motor drawing and found the tapped holes to be off the 45 degree angle. Seems to have been corrected in your new drawings.

Dimensioning is tricky. You have to set up styles seperately. Can't use the offsets for inches with a millimeter drawing. Don't use aligned dimensions unless it's necessary.

I'll look at the drawings from AXI.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:52 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
AXI Manufactures Drawings

deleted..opened wrong file..ug.. BobFlyer
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Last edited by BobFlyer; Jan 12, 2005 at 01:44 PM. Reason: wrong info..opened wrong files..
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:28 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
I could open all but the 2808a12 file. Here are the others converted to Acad V12 DXF.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:33 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Remaining files.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:34 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Oops. One is still too big. I'll trim it down -- somehow.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:43 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
AXI Files

Yep: I screwed up,,, I opened the wrong file above...Sorry about the bad info will delete post..

I could open without any problems, except the same 2208a12 file..

BobFlyer...
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:51 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Had to split the file in two.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:54 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
OK now that these files are posted; these are NOT blocks. A three view block file will have to be created from the information.

Note to GS: Watch your line types. Use hidden for threads. Use center line for center lines.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 02:19 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Hey SoCal -
I'll definitley use center lines in the future, thanks for the heads up - as for hidden lines - I thought we decided we would not use those? I think TurboCAD for some reason can't deal with the files I posted, since you guys seem to be able to get them open in AutoCAD (except for 2208a12 - I'll email them back and see if they can resend). All I get is a blank screen, and I can sometimes select objects with my cursor, but I can't get them to appear, even if I change their color, change their layer etc. I'm not entirely surprised, it is afterall a $150 CAD program.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:22 PM
[This space for rent]
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
Motor mounts

I don't know if anyone one will find these useful, but I drew a number of Motor mounts. The file is in dxf format.
Quote:
New drilling guides added & some improved!

Axi 28/XX Motor Mount drilling guide
Axi 22/XX Motor Mount drilling guide
Mega 16/XX Motor Mount drilling guide
Mega 22/XX Motor Mount drilling guide
Mega 41/XX and 53/XX
Hacker B20/XX Motor Mount drilling guide
Hacker C50/XX With and without gearbox
Twister series of motors
Some of these mounts fit other motors as well. Hole sizes indicated on drawings. Print them out on sticker (self Adhesive) paper so you can stick them on and drill.
Hope someone finds these of use.
macr is offline Find More Posts by macr
Last edited by macr; Jan 15, 2005 at 03:49 PM. Reason: New drilling guides added & some improved!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:36 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Even my $4000 program chokes on bad drawings.

As to forcing lines; sometimes. A center line or a hidden line for threads should be forced. My advise for putting everything on layer zero is that (in Acad) when you insert the block on another layer it takes on the properties of that layer; line type, color, etc.

The files that AXI has sent you have been translated from another cad program into Acad drawings. Might be better if they were translated into DXF's directly.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:52 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Should I ask my contact at AXI to re-export the files? If so what should I specifically ask for?

macr - Thanks! That's exactly the type of thing this thread needs! I might go back and create blocks out of each of the mounts if you don't mind and then repost - but that's an excellent contribution. Only thing I might ask in the future - if you could list which motors the mounts are for in your post - that way when people do a search for a specific motor or mount it will return your post
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:31 PM
[This space for rent]
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
Glue sniffer, I could open all but the 2208 12 from your link in turboCAD. I will put the names on my post for all of the mounts to make it easier to find. I am so dumb , I should of thought of that before. I am glad that you found a use for the mounts. Could you tell me, what is the purpose of a block mount, I am a tad naive to see its benefit
macr is offline Find More Posts by macr
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:50 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Hey mac
Blocks are a function of CAD - a way of dealing with parts - they're easy and extremely useful. It's like having....a parts bin in your program. that way you can keep pieces on hand, without having them clutter up your drawing. They're also very easy to set up - do you know how to make groups? In TurboCAD hold down the "Create Groups" button - you should see there's another called "Create Blocks" Hightlight something that you want to turn into a block, and then hit "Create Blocks" You will now see your part in the "Blocks" tab on the right side (along with Selection Info, Measurement Info etc..) Now simply name your block something useful. Easy! Blocks are great for a variety of uses - there's a thread that's a few days old that I started about spar/stringer notches - you can see in that thread how useful it would be to have your notches saved as blocks, so you just drag one out whenever the need arises.

-Sky