HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by glue_sniffer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:36 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
SoCalGliderflyer:

I tried to open the revised Motor..AXI2208 Revised.zip

Used Winzip..got the DXF extension..

opened AutoCad 2002..selected DXF File pulldown file type..Selected The AXI2208 with the DXF extension..

Error is the Following from the command line...

Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded. ???

P.S. Also tried my R-14 release..same thing..but did not say discarded..No error but not showing up???

Any Ideas.. I have the motor and was good timing..I am going to put this in a Porter
P.C.-6 that I am scratch building..almost finished..used a drawing from Jim Ryan in a flying magazine..scanned page..traced in Autocad..Sized up to 50" wingspan. set about
making up parts mostly with 1/4"x1/4" warren truss type structure(drawing 2002acad)..Plane is amost finished..should come in at 18-19ozs with 3s1500 polyquest..all I have left to finish is cover the fuse, and install a motor..

BobFlyer...Thanks to all
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Last edited by BobFlyer; Jan 11, 2005 at 03:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2005, 04:55 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Hey Bob -
Are you able to open the previous version? SoCal made a few tweaks to my file, but the size and basic shape are the same between the two, so there should be enough in either file to work with.

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:08 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Try this one. Don't know what may have happened. Could have been a bad download -- noise in the file.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Last edited by SoCalGliderFlyr; Jan 11, 2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:27 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Drawing? DXF

Tried again...Same Error...I don't have a clue...

I could open The final DXF without any problems..

Thanks BobFlyer
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:40 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Here is the file in Acad 2000 format. The DXF does the same thing with me. I'll have to find out why.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:48 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Just to make sure this now works.

Here is a cleaned up DXF.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:11 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Drawing Now Open...

I can read both of the latest drawings..the dwg and the dxf ...of the 2000 version..

What did you change in case I run into this in the future? Or did you just save for a previous release?

Thanks to All BobFlyer

P.S. I'll stop by my local Sears tomorrow evening on the blade for my saw.
200 per inch...7.25 blade..hollow ground..tnx..
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:14 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
I can open all of those - do we need to revise our file standard for this thread at all? The thread size is M3 - I can add that to the file if you want, no problem.

-Sky
Old Jan 11, 2005, 09:11 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
I opened the problem drawing and a new drawing in Acad, used the Design center to import just the blocks into the new drawing. Was getting random DXF file load failures from my conversion starting with Acad not liking the font name. Could have been the translation from T-CAD to the DXF file that Acad didn't like. I may have compounded it during my cleanup.

You will notice that I did force a couple of line types; the center line and the hidden line for the tapped holes. Also found that the diameter of the end view does not match the side view.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 09:33 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Here is a dimensioned graphic. Check how well you did.

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:13 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Ahh you're right, no so good - I'm going to go back tomorrow and totally rework the file so that all the dimensions are correct. Like I said, still just learning CAD. Thanks for all the help SoCal.

-Sky
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:01 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Way back in the "old days" we used wood pencils, T-squares and compasses. A few manufacturers would provide templates of their components; bearings, gear drives, contactors, relays, bolts and nuts. If you couldn't find a template you drew the part at the scale(s) you used with pencil then used India ink and pen to make it dark enough to see through the drafting velum. You would slip this under your regular drawing where you wanted to copy it. If you drew it in the wrong location you got out the big square eraser and "moved" it.

All the dimensions were approximate. You used trig and a slide rule and simple calculator and a list of tables to figure dimensions out. The best thing that ever happened to hand drafting/engineering was the Texas Instruments programmable calculator and the XY drafting machine often called a lofter. Has a track across the top of the drafting table and a vertical beam that travels the width of the table with the indexing head moving up and down that beam.

I preferred the previous style with the articulating arm as you didn't have to keep the whole darn table clear.

There is a comparison to CAD in this. Draw it once use it many. But since CAD is now an absolute system, what you draw is what you get, that first drawing better be dead nuts on. Nothing like having a block propagate through 20 CAD stations times ten drawings a day for two weeks only to find that the bolt pattern is wrong.

As to an electric motor; the shaft, mounting flange and mounting bolt pattern are critical. But you can fudge a little on the large size for the housing and electrical connections.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 02:57 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Well I fully understand what you're getting at - if I'm not going to do it right, there's no point in doing it, since not only will it mess up myself, if will mess up others if it's not exactly dead on. Of course, you're absolutely right. With that in mind, I went back and redid everything from the ground up. I also found that the 2208 and 2212 only differ in their depth - the front view is the same, so I killed two birds with one stone and banged out the side views for both the 2208 and 2212. I've included 2 files - one has a bunch of reference lines and measurement lines - I was just trying to match the AXI graphic as close as possible in every possible aspect (just as an exercise). The second file (Plain) should be as per our spec outlined on page 1 of this thread. Both files are R12 dxf files.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 09:55 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
A manufacturers graphic can be messed up too. It's best to have a sample in hand and the mfg's best illustration to work from. Usually the critical dimensions are correct. As in this case the shaft diameter and length, mounting hole patterns and threads. As I understand this motor there are tapped holes on each end?

As to the servo drawing I posted; I've checked Hitec's illustrations against several different servos and found them to be accurate. This doesn't mean that Hitec can't screw one up. It's just highly unlikely.

P.S. Check your tapped hole patterns. Hint, hint.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:43 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Well SoCal, I'll admit that I'm a bit stumped on this one. I'm checking my tapped hole patterns against my 2208, and the M3 bolt holes seem to be in the correct position. On the back of the unit there are 3 bolt holes, but I don't have any data for them - they are for the radial mount option - which I even have, but didn't come with any documentation. Is this what you're getting at, or am I just under-caffeinated?