HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2005, 09:57 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,758 Posts
Lindberg Fletcher

... a continuation of a subthread in the QM2 thread...
Great scale model boats are just that- great achievements. For those not ready to invest the time & money, it's nice to have alternatives. There are more and more RTR "scale" boats coming out, a good thing. But another alternative is to r/c plastic kits. There are good kits, and then there's, well, the old Lindy Fletcher ("Blue Devil"). About a yard long, displaces about 3 lbs. And there are fans! See:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lindyfletcher/

Not museum quality, but fun! I reworked the turret animation to give 180 travel, and Y'd the turrets into the steering... the kids love watching it.
Homemade gear-reduction powers 2 brass props. Still goes way too fast.

Pat M
http://www.geocities.com/y2patmat/
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2005, 10:05 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,758 Posts
Note- the 3-gear setup on the 2 aft turrets gives them counter-rotation... forward turrets and gun director have 2 gears. The set-up allows a 90 throw on the servo to give 180 turret travel, and the turrets & directors can give a broadside to either beam.
Pat M
Old Jan 09, 2005, 10:59 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Fletcher

Until I can get at the actual thread, here are two views I don't think have been posted previously.

One before the crew were added and one after.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jan 09, 2005, 11:04 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,758 Posts
Nice! I like the weathering. I also like the idea of separating the fore & aft decks from the main, makes removal easier... mine is left as-delivered, one long deck. Better sealing forward can be had with your method.

These things are great canvasses for trying out camo patterns... some info can be found at:
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/warship_camouflage.htm
But look through any Fletcher book or sites like http://www.domeisland.com/destroyers/introduction.html
for inspiration.
Pat M
Old Jan 09, 2005, 03:21 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Those sure do look nice!!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 09, 2005, 06:10 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
I go each year to two model engineering exhibitions in the UK. Boat clubs play quite a large part in the displays. Most have at least two versions of the Lindberg Fletcher and are invariably beautifully converted. That's what got me interested. I was given the same advice as I mentioned earlier - 'it's an awful kit, don't build it'. But I did. You need to scrap a lot of bits, carve up the hull and think about what you want erly on, but the end result is worth it if you don't weaken!

Tony
Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:32 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
Pat, did you use any of the ideas that either Mr. Dyke, or Mr. Hern from over at Modelwarships.com suggested for inproving the Lindberg Fletcher. I know he mentions a lot of things to improve its accuracy like hull changes, etc. Otherwise, looks great! I have 2 of these kits waiting for the other 200 projects to be finished before i start one of them!
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:26 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,758 Posts
Yup, learned a lot from Jeff's article on fixing the Fletch; he's even a member of the Lindy Fletcher forum.
http://www.steelnavy.com/BDFletcher.htm

Pat M
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:35 AM
Al_
West Bend, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
That kit was my first large model. Of course, it had way to much glue and didn't look quite rights. I placed it up on a dresser and it had been there for a few years till someone (claimed) knocked the dresser and the ship fell off.

Right now, it has lots of broken and missing parts.

This means two possibilities:
A: Buy and build another kit
B: Borrow some dynamite from a farmer and send it to the bottom
Al_ is offline Find More Posts by Al_
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:22 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
I vote dynamite! - if you post the pics!