Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:05 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Nov 2004
145 Posts
Depron "Pan Am" Boeing 747

Ive finally made enough progress on this plane to post some pics and info. Ive completed the fuse and tail section and still working on the wings. It will have 4 EDF-40s. So far it weighs 7 ounces, I expect the final weight to be around 20 Oz. I am also going to fix in place the leading edge and trailing edge flaps to give some more wing area and greater lift.

If anyone is interested in the details of the build I can post more info.
cward8 is offline Find More Posts by cward8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:08 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Nov 2004
145 Posts
SOme more pics
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:08 PM
CSU Monterey Bay
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
sweet 747!

Very nice! How did you get such a nice finish on depron? -Rich
RichRacerMX5 is offline Find More Posts by RichRacerMX5
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:11 PM
Lafayette,La
Joined Sep 2003
43 Posts
Wow !

What is the final set going to run you?

Chris
AtomicFrawg is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFrawg
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:25 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,055 Posts
Now that's a very nice job! I love it.

DEFINITELY post more details and info.

Ed
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:27 PM
Olle
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jun 2004
608 Posts
Nice! I'm allso interested in the finnish, and do you have any pics on the structure? nice job!
Airbuzz is offline Find More Posts by Airbuzz
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:00 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Nov 2004
145 Posts
On the finish it was the testors Model Masters, I lightly sanded the seams with 400 grit, then followed that by a polishing type paper I found it at a craft store, its a on plastic backing seems about 800 grit or more I"m guessing, it never really said, the polishing paper really put a nice smooth finish back on the depron. it seems with my experiments once the plastic skin of depron is damaged it is super rough, even when sanded with 400 grit it roughs up quite a bit.
Anyway, after sanding it smooth I used the primer, put one one coat, then I wet sanded it with the 400 and then again the polishing paper. After that it was ready for the White, it glossed up real nice and for the silver I used their Chrome, nice and shiny, looks like polished Aluminum in person, pics don't do it justice.

I experimented a lot on spare 1mm depron. (used for the skin) before I did the actual model.
Last edited by cward8; Jan 08, 2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:07 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2000
3,407 Posts
Brilliant...............
Ralph A. D'Amelio is online now Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:17 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Nov 2004
145 Posts
It was made by blowing up a 1/100th scale cardboard model made in germany. I was Inspired by other threads one here which had followed simililar methods. It went together very nice, OF course, Ihad to make some mods since it was going to be a flying model, such as wing support, internal support for the vertical and the Horizontal stab, elevator controls, Nosewheel steering and stuff like that. The structure was very strong, it is built in modules, which I then Epoxied together. The fit and finish was outstanding using the pieces exactly as the model used. I did however use a foam block for the very last tail section, about the last 1 inch.

I took the cardboard version to Kinkos and blew it up 150%, this made my overall length around 39 inches. I found that using an ordinary glue stick to hold th paper onto the depron while your cutting worked great, it sticks with slightly more than a post it does and it doesnt damage the depron. Heres a pic of the assembly diagram and some of the parts blown up, original on the left, blown up on the right.

Ill post a link to the model I used. As far as the decals I found a good source for those, he sells decals for classic airliners for a lot of different airliners, he has a 1/100th scale Pan Am set for the 747 so I also had those blown up 150% at Kinkos and printed on a clear Laminate sticker type paper. He stated he could blow them up as well and print them on white back ground instead of the Lt. blue decal paper. His email is : markbob@ameritech.net if your interested.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:18 PM
Olle
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jun 2004
608 Posts
we wanna see construction pics!!
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:21 PM
Olle
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jun 2004
608 Posts
oh, you pressed the button right before me! nice!
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:23 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Nov 2004
145 Posts
Heres the 1/100th paper version Link:http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ca...aper-Model-Kit
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Awsome ! ! ! More More
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:29 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Nov 2004
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFrawg
Wow !

What is the final set going to run you?

Chris
The edf 40s are about $15 each, still shopping for the best/lightest battery pack (lipo)

Depron, I bought a lot, probably enoughh to build 5 of these, and I spent a total of about $75-80.

I used 6 mm white depron for the internal bulkheads. could have probably gotten away with 3mm.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:33 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Nov 2004
145 Posts
For the wing, I'm going to modify the wing from the Cox XB-29 Airlifter, I like the airfoil design and I am going to sheet the top of it with 1mm depron for added strength and it looks better. You can buy these wings from COX for about $10. I like the way mine flies and like I said I will be fixing in place the LE flaps and the TE flaps in the takeoff position.
Last edited by cward8; Jan 08, 2005 at 09:03 PM.