HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2005, 09:38 PM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Question
Blaster DLG. GO or NO GO?

I thought the Blaster was the GREATEST thing in the world and wanted one REALLY bad, until I heard stuff about spar failures and stuff. And the rudder looks awefully flimsy. Does it break easily on launched and landings?

Blaster flyers, help me out please.
Trace Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Trace Lewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2005, 10:53 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
Austins plane here in dallas is bullet proof. he launches hard,and high (150). I guess
it depends on an ocasonial bad batch. Lee
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Jan 07, 2005, 10:58 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,460 Posts
Until I had the wing spar problem, I was really beginning to love the flying characteristics of the Blaster. Good launches, good hang, very responsive to lift. I emailed Barry about the spar problem and am hoping he and the builder get together and take a hard look at the spar issue. Hopefully he will get back to me on it. I think with a little spar redesign the Blaster would be a good plane. I wanted to buy another one but wouldnt even consider another Blaster until something is done to beef up the spar. If they dont want to do it across the board, maybe it could be an option for harder throwers.
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Jan 08, 2005, 12:13 AM
Life's a garden, dig it.
Phoenix Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Joined Aug 2004
227 Posts
I've been reading the same stuff you guys have. All I can say is that my Blaster is an absolute beast. Been playing alot of "DLG Horse" lately in dead air: upsidedown catching, low level aileron rolls, low altitude tail stands, and getting all the abuse from screwing up too and this bird keeps flying, and very well too.

just my two cents

Matt
ArizonaMan is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaMan
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:07 AM
Love my Pike Superior!
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,709 Posts
I love my Blaster...but like all planes it has it's quarks. I'm a little worried about the spar issue. Mine is still intact but there is a little play in the dihedral joint that worries me. I'm going to fix it fairly soon.

The other issues that I've been having (that no one else seems to have) is with the elevator fluttering. On calm days or days when the wind is less than 10mph there isn't an issue...but when it's blowing around 15mph (which it does most of the time here) then it flutters like mad going up. 2 weeks ago I was out flying. My best launch was 80ft with the flutter...my NEXT best was 60...I normally launch around 130+, so this was a signifigant lose of altitude. Since it was windy I should have been in the 140s...

Currently I'm installing a new servo for the elevator. I have to wait for some carbon rods to get in but I should know if this fixed it or not within a couple of weeks...I'm REALLY hoping it takes care of it. If not I'm going to redo the full flying stab to be something more along the SGII style.

All in all I really do love the plane. It hangs with the best DLGs out there. And I really like the full flying stab too! Stall recovery is brief and b/c of the large stab area it's actually really hard to stall the wing. I've flown it on the slope a couple of times and I can turn this baby on a dime b/c of the stab.

As far as being bullet proof, I have to disagree here...at least with the "lite" wing. It's strong...but I've put some scratches and took a small chunk out of the LE. The chunk out of the LE was caused when I hit a small fence post. The plane was on the ground and almost at a stop. When it contacted the post it was actually moving very slowly. Took a .5" x .25" piece out of the LE. Also when I first purchased the plane the glass on the bottom of the wing wasn't quite adhered to the balsa...thin CA fixed the problem and I haven't had any issues with it since.

I've specked it out many times. Most of the times I started working light bubbles about 20-30 feet off the ground and followed them up to ... well, high. The plane goes up on almost nothing and signals lift incredibly well.

Jared
averen is offline Find More Posts by averen
Old Jan 08, 2005, 06:33 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
698 Posts
Stab flutter...

Is it possible that the tail mount is too far forward on the tail (i.e. too little area infront of the pivot point) so that the tail is not aerodynamically balanced, causing it to occilate at high speeds? I have just had a look at some blaster pics and I admit it does not look like this could be the issue, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Mike
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Jan 08, 2005, 09:28 AM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Well if they fix the spar thing I will buy one. Also, will HS-55s do all around?
Ive also heard about problems with the full flying stab.

Thanks!

Also, im only 14 so I cant throw to hard, but occasionly my dad throws for me.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 09:30 AM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Do you guys think that a reason the Blaster is out of stock from Kennedy is that he is fixing these problems? It has been out for like 2 months now, due in 1/20
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:02 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
I hope that's why they are out of stock, I have been saving up for a Blaster and I would hate to kill it in 2 days after 2 month's of saving up for it. So what happens if I get one and the spar breaks? Am I just screwed?? Will Berry help me out or will I be saving up another month to buy another replacement wing?? I think if it's a manufactures defect it wouldn't be right to have to eat the whole cost of a new wing!!! I was really looking forward to getting a Blaster, but now I just dont know. I am not a millionaire so saving for a plane (for 2 months) that mite break (by no fault of mine) just throwing it like it was designed to is starting to look like it mite not be such a good idea. I have a XP-4 that I love, but the Blaster looks like (from all the flight reports) such a great plane, I sure did want one . I cant see alot of people buying this plane now, until the spar problem gets fixed. I hope they fix it soon, or at least make arrangements for a credit or something if the spar does fail due to this defect. I would buy one if that happens. I guess I will just have to "suffer along" with my XP-4 until then ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Last edited by RandyK1; Jan 08, 2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:25 AM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
2 months!

Its gonna take me about 7-8 months I think. I have about $200 bucks now and I need to buy 2 servos a reciver and a battery . So yeah for me this is a BIG investment that I dont want breakn either.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 01:02 PM
Campbell, CA
Joined Dec 2001
173 Posts
Blaster

I myself would not even consider one, until Kennedy Composites (Barry) addresses these issues. As far as a warranty on a blaster?......... What do you have to say Barry?....... Lets hear from you.............any feed back would be appreciated.

Skyrider.
skyrider is offline Find More Posts by skyrider
Last edited by skyrider; Jan 08, 2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 03:53 PM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
I just got a reply from Kennedy saying the reason the Blaster is out of stokc is because of high demand and that they are addressing the issue. So hopefully by the time I get one all will be well.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 05:28 PM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Jan 08, 2005, 06:01 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,945 Posts
Well, I just gotta poke my nose in here ( sorry :-P)

From what I understand from what i have read and heard, There is some supposed spar weakness in the blaster ... correct?

When exactly is this spar "failing" Are you DS-ing it? are you diving at 140 mph and pulling full up?

My blaster has a repaird mid section from a strait in 60 mph nose dive.. I didnt do anythign internally to it, only laid thin glass and re painted aftrer i Finished it. I launch the crap out of it, I DS-it sometimes and yes I dive it at 100+ mph and pull full up with Snap flap!

My wing has held together fine even after a catostrophic crash.

If your wing broke on a launch, I'd bet a dollar to a hole in a doughnut that you had already damaged the wing by crushing it in the car or maybee a SEVER enough crash could do it. Maybee you hit the gound with the low wing and jsut didnt realise it!

There just is not a large bending load on the wing at the center section during a launch...

Heck:

Quote:
Mine is still intact but there is a little play in the dihedral joint that worries me. I'm going to fix it fairly soon.
so he has a LOOSE dihedral joint but it still holds up to a launch and only " worries" him.

Quote:
After Death Dive #3 and repair Dihedral joints are quite flimsey, but with a layer of Kevlar on top of whatever else has been fixed amazingly I can't blow it out on launch even when trying too. And I have tried!
Now a guy with a flimzy spar is TRYING to break it on launch and cant.

Common guys, there has been how many failiors due to this "Issue"? 1????

that dosent sound like an Issue to me.

and GLderguy, no offense, either you are doing somthing wrong or you have the worst luck of any man out there!

Quote:
Until I had the wing spar problem
Yes, YOU had the spar problem.... Can you 100 percent honestly and Truthfully say that you did not ever catch a wing on the ground, stack somthign heavy on the wing in the car, or crahs it? Is there No possibility that you pre damaged it?

common man, even the light wing has the EXACT same layup as mine, jsut balsa under the glass instead of foam, which I bet is stronger.

For those of you worrying about getting a "bad" Blaster.... If you have been wanting one, buy one... When you get it check it out. Make sure the wing is strong. If its weakened or was damaged in shipping send it back...

There is no spar problem.

Quote:
Guys save your money, I myself would not even consider one, until Kennedy Composites (Barry) addresses these issues. As far as a warranty on a blaster?......... What do you have to say Barry?....... Lets hear from you.............any feed back would be appreciated.

Skyrider.
Spoken like a REAL "expert" there buddy... unfortunatly its attitudes like this that could force a dealer to "address" an "issue" thats not even real. Have you even touched a Blaster?.. I mean one guy screams "SPAR FAILIOR PROBLEM" and now its an "issue" when there are a hundred or more Blasters flying aound out there with NO problems?

I can understand the people that read that being scared by it... I mean its not a cheap plane and for good reason.. They are built better than any other DLG out there and they perform as good or better than any of them. I reall y hope thatthe peopel that have had the misfortune to hear abotu YOUR spar failior will take note of the Numerous other Blasters and happy owners out there with no weak spar problems. Also I hope they consider the HIGH possibility that you damaged the spar yourself ina car ride or tip strike. I hope You will acknowledge that possibility as well.

AVeran,

Quote:
The other issues that I've been having (that no one else seems to have) is with the elevator fluttering
make sure your linkages are TIGHT.... if you have slop where the rods go through the servo arm or the v-mounts hole, use CA to fill the gap ( jsut dab a bit on) and put the control rod in the innermost hold of the servo arm.
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Last edited by AustinTatious; Jan 08, 2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 06:12 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,945 Posts
Ohh BTW trace.... Ive been thinking of selling my Blaster cause its quite beat up... I WILL be buying another one and equiping it the same as mine. Ive got D-60's all around and a 555rx and 780 Mah NiMh pack...

If you would be interested in it We could work something out. Maybee 300.00 with all the servos? if you put a 555 in it and the same pack, it would weigh 13.5 ounces... It doesnt fly like it though, ask anyone, it hangs!

Its very strong but has a season of abuse on it. Main thing is the center section which is strong and tru but I have stickers covering up the repair. A few nicks and scratches her eand there, gelcoat cracks on the fuse ( not structural) and its actualyl got a really new V-mount cause I jagged mine against the car and broke it ( stupid me)

Anyhow, let me know!
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious