SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2005, 10:12 PM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
Rant
AMA show once again a let down

In my opinion... it was not worth the ten bucks to get in. I have been going to the convention since the early IMS days and it's definitely not gotten any better. Most every thing was bARF and GWS had some ****** looking so called models walking around trying to get people to stop by the booth to have pictures taken with them. Has our hobby seriously resorted to this? Majority of people I ran into or should I say ran into me and my fiancÚ were of the grumpy old fart group. I did pick up one of the only kits there, a house of balsa Elelctric T6 and an AstroFlight 010 motor to replace my seized one.

I am going tomorrow to meet up with a bunch of people and meet some of the Ezone members. I can only imagine it will be less worth it with the increase in people.

BTW Steve!!! Sorry I didn't say bye.

Jeffrey
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Last edited by OCModels; Jan 08, 2005 at 04:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2005, 10:18 PM
Rockwood, Tennesse, United States
Joined Oct 2004
88 Posts
Ama

They have a real nice place in MUNCIE to spend your 10 dollars. You think you will ever get there and enjoy their new National Site.
steve matteson is offline Find More Posts by steve matteson
Old Jan 07, 2005, 10:28 PM
Professional Goofball
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
I would love to check out the museum out that way but don't see it happening any time soon. Getting married this year so all spare funds are going straight to that.
Old Jan 07, 2005, 10:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
There were a few cool things there, I thought, but the show was much like last year, to be sure. I thought it was worth 10 bucks.

It was fun to check out the Neumotors booth and see what Steve has been up to. those motors are looking pretty awesome.

I enjoyed chatting with the nice folks at Century Helicopters...love my new Hummingbird V3 that I got a couple of weeks back.

I chatted briefly with Scott from Littlescreamers.com and actually bought a Little Screamer motor...those things have been kinda like the Holy Grail lately....

Bought a Blade EPP 3D from SoaringUSA and a pair of those little 3D profile models that Dymond was selling for 38 bucks a pair.

GWS was rather the big force at the show....I did watch a GWS Dragonfly heli fly for a while in the GWS booth without the gyro board overheating...

Always nice to see Shawn Palmer and Patrick and the folks from Castle Creations...they were abuzz with the news of buying Berg.

Ran into Tony Frankowiack, the well known R/C aerobatic pilot and model builder for NASA. Also ran into Bob Reynolds from Ezone. I somehow missed the group photo.

Overall, I had fun, but the show does need a little more meat on its bones.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 07, 2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2005, 10:56 PM
Certified cat herder
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
260 Posts
i thought they werer going to have a swap meet today and tomorrow? Has anyone shown up for that?
--C. Alan
C. Alan is offline Find More Posts by C. Alan
Old Jan 08, 2005, 12:00 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Just got back from a full day at the AMA convention & IMS show in Ontario ...

I was quite amazed by the variety of brushless motors and controllers on the market which I saw today:

Hacker (segmented, unsegmented & outrunners)
Plettenberg
Kontronic (incl. Tango)
Mega
Jeti
MPJet
Himax
Axi
Actro
Typhoon
Aveox
Astroflight
Feigao
Align
Neu motors
Aon
Het-rc
E-flight
Various cd-rom type motors

and probably a few more I don't remember the names ... + all the mounts and gearboxes ...

Seems like everybody and his brother is making some small outrunner for gws planes ...

Two years ago it was two brands (Astro and Aveox)

And of course Kokam, Thunder Power, Polyquest, Apogee, Tanic, Align and some other obscure brands ...

Also saw the usual ducted fan kits (Aeronaut Panther, Rafale & Vampire), a pico-stick with three edf-50's and the JHH stuff.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jan 08, 2005, 12:14 AM
Woah
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
336 Posts
Well I'd definitely pay $10 to see a show like that one. There never has, and likely never will be a show like that here in Perth, and I doubt in Australia.

Most of those brands of brushless motors and controllers aren't even available here. You have to order them from overseas. And the crazy thing is a lot of those items are probably manufactured closer to Australia than the US.
bugeater is offline Find More Posts by bugeater
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:44 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
a unmarried guy still in that starry eyed engaged stage talking about long term relationships is kind of like me telling you how to fly a jet plane!!! Maybe I've heard somebody talk about it but that doesn't mean I could tell you how to fly it!!

Jim (Happily married for seven plus years and two wonderful children--some days it feels like we've been married for 27 years, some days it feels like it's only been 10)
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:55 AM
Professional Goofball
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
well then I guess it's a damn good thing I waited 33 years to find the one person whom I know I can spend the rest of my life with and not wonder if it will be the same forty years from now...
Old Jan 08, 2005, 03:31 AM
Professional Goofball
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Just got back from a full day at the AMA convention & IMS show in Ontario ...

I was quite amazed by the variety of brushless motors and controllers on the market which I saw today:
Didn't see ya there Herb.

The thing that amazed me is that even though there are far more brushless motors out there. The price really hasn't droped all that much. It would be nice to see S400 replacement motors and controllers under $100 for a change.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 09:36 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
pass the popcorn... this is about to get good...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Last edited by Mark Wood; Jan 09, 2005 at 11:26 PM. Reason: don't quote bad behavior
Old Jan 08, 2005, 09:45 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCModels
I weep for the woman you are all in a relationship with. They must lie in bed crying themselves to sleep thinking of how it could have been. Having a relationship with someone who loves them unconditionally and would give their life to them. They must sit and wonder what it must be like for all the couples who spend their lives loving and caring for each other. I just hope for your sake they don't find out there really are people out there who enjoy spending time with the one they love and not wonder when they are going to be ditched for some skanky GWS girls at an old geezer model airplane convention...
I am weeping right now from laughter The only thing funnier than reading this now will be to see your face 5 years from now, when you have 3 kids, a mortgage and NO time to spend on the hobby...

That said cherrish this time with your fiancee, and after you have been married past 5 years we may let you into the devoted husband and father club.

Seriously, enjoy this time with her, if you have kids, the shared times will be precious and few until retirement...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:02 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
I'm one GOF you didn't meet there. And you are going back?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:10 AM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
930 Posts
I have been married for 30-years this Feb, when I was dateing my wife she used to come over to my house to watch me build my planes, she said she loved to see a man have a good constructive hobby. After we were were married about 6-months she came home from work and saw me building a plane in the living room of the apartment (small apartment), she walked in looked at the mess I had made and said get that crap out of the living room and clean up the mess! Ah, how times change! Seriously though, she has put up with my hobby over the years, the spending, the time etc. She does'nt go flying with me anymore, we have other interests together. I think its good that we have some separate interests. Obviously 30-years together should indicate that you can love someone and still have some time apart from each other we all have our own interests that might not involve each other.

With that said, I got my comfortable chair, a beer and some popcorn, I get a feeling this is going to be a real flamer!
WhiteCloud is online now Find More Posts by WhiteCloud
Last edited by WhiteCloud; Jan 08, 2005 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add more info
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:46 AM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Ah , Marital bliss I've been married for 29 yrs. last Dec. Seems like only yesterday........and we all know how long a day yesterday was , ba da bump . But really , I didn't know what true happiness was till I got married ....
then it was too late ! ba da bump

Mando.......
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Last edited by mando; Jan 08, 2005 at 12:49 PM. Reason: forgot a letter , thanks SOHO