HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2002, 01:49 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Newbie Photos (Part 1)

OK, you asked for it...

Here's my first plane. By the looks of it, it must have been around 2/2000 when I started flying. Pictured are my kids -- they helped me build the plane ;-)
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2002, 01:51 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Newbie Photos (Part 2)

I just couldn't resist adding this one...

Lloyd Pound genrously CG'd, trimmed and flew the Push-E Cat the first few times. In this photo, I quickly handed him the radio to avoid crashing. Look at the expression on my youngest son's face ;-)
Old Mar 14, 2002, 01:55 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Newbie Photos (Part 3)

Last year the kids had had enough of my grovelling and hinting, so they bought me this DAW Schweizer 1-26 2-meter. By April I was flying it. This photo makes me sad that I couldn't keep it looking this way -- it's mostly tape and glue now, but it still flies like a dream ;-)
Old Mar 14, 2002, 01:59 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Hey Duke58 ;-)

I just realized that those plane photos of your look familiar, and you live not far from me.

Do you sometimes fly at Del Valle Regional Park in Livermore?

Could be just a coincidence, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Have a great day ;-)

webguyjv
Old Mar 14, 2002, 07:59 AM
Slope fanatic
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Mar 2002
67 Posts
Here's my Katana.

It's a slope combat wing of my own design. It outclimbs most of the other planes where i fly.

Other then that, I'm just about to start building a Rico-She LW from www.phoenixmp.com
tomlin is offline Find More Posts by tomlin
Last edited by tomlin; Mar 14, 2002 at 08:17 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 08:40 AM
Idaho
Joined Oct 2001
261 Posts
Hey tomlin,
Is there any chance that you could give me specs on your katana? You say it will outclimbs most other planes. So does that mean it will fly in lighter lift than most too? "I'm still new and learning about slope planes."

gerico, and all else that want it. Here's a link to the plans for the Star-Rider. I beleive you need to sign up with yahoo though to get to the plans. No worry though cus it's free.
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/jayparke If it doesn't work just say so and I'll e-mail the to ya.

I beleive the whole thing may be built with 2mil coro. I'm not sure though? This is how I'm gonna build it when the time rolls around. Build the fuse from 2mil. Build the wing from 2mil. I don't know it's wingspan so either 2mil or 4mil elevons. If I were to use 2mil and it didn't work I would add another layer of 2mil to the elevons running perpendicular to it. Build the canard from 4mil. Or stacked 2mil with them layered perpendicular to eachother. Then the fins from 2mil. Just some insight incase you wanted a starting point.

Josh
JayParke is offline Find More Posts by JayParke
Old Mar 14, 2002, 08:56 AM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Here's a P-40 I did from scratch. EPP, packing tape, sign vinyl and Model Master paint job.

More pictures

My covering technique tech topic

Here is a BD-5J I did a pair of just like the originals.
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:36 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,603 Posts
Ben-

The basic insides are foam but it is glassed with 3 layers of .6 oz cloth and epoxy, so it's pretty hard shelled. The engine nacelles are velcro attached. They separate on landing most times, unless the landing site is smooth. They are truly bullet proof little apendages with 5 layers of cloth over foam.

The previous picture was taken last spring after the model had been flying on and off for over 5 years. This was in the San Jose foothills where I grew up and my parents still live, so you are right it's a little mellow for Reno without giant rocks and cliffs.

It's had several very firm landings on rough areas and one cartwheel on a hilside landing after the big wind machine completely turned off during a vunerable moment... so it's held up nicely all things considered. The biggest problem with it is planning the landing in confined areas because it's fast and big. I have flapperons but they are fragile in rough areas. I'll use them to steepen the approach but I suck them in prior to touchdown.

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:45 AM
Minnesota
Joined Dec 2000
258 Posts
Does everyone know about http://www.slopeflyer.com ?
We have been adding to the flight log and Flying site list for awhile. It makes for some neat reading.
mrtim is offline Find More Posts by mrtim
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:23 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Webguyjv , yep it's lil ole me! I must say your flying has improved 100% but your 1 26 looks much better in the photo( it must have been a virgin then) . Do you ever fly Cal State Hayward? good hill in the spring afternoons .

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Mar 15, 2002, 01:19 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Hi Earl ;-)

Hey Thanks for the kudos ;-)

Yes -- the DAW Schweizer 1-26 2-meter lost it's virginity at Cal State Hayward back in April. I've been flying it for almost a year now, and it's been a really fun time.

I go to Cal State Hayward more often than my other two favorite haunts (Del Valle and Coyote Hills). I know most of the guys at Cal State -- a great bunch of guys. I started going to Del Valle a few months ago when the late fall/winter conditions became non-conducive for the ayward site. I met Lenard and he seems unusual (compared to some of my other flying buddies) in that he's able to go flying most any day. Lenard and I usually call each other on Saturday morning, I go online and check the wind, and we decide on the spot where to go flying that day.

I met a nice guy here on EZone and we brought him up for his forst slope action two weeks ago. On that same day we converted another one -- I buddy-boxed him on my Push-E Cat (which he had no problem with whatsoever) and then Lenard basically handed him his Zagi. The rest was history.

On that day, I was dying to fly the Dragonette, and just before sundown, I did it. The lift was too strong,and when I brought it close in, I think the air pressure broke the CA bond that hold onths fin. It went down pretty fast but luckily there was no damage thata little CA can't take care of. I have to be careful not to fly that little baby in strong wind.

I hope to get out to Del Valle this weekend. I look forward to seeing you, Earl

Happy flying ;-)

John
Old Mar 15, 2002, 11:23 AM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Mar 2002
22 Posts
Hey John!

I did indeed get hooked after flying your push-e-cat and Lenard's Zagi. Those flying wings look great. When the are hovering or flying really slow over the ground, they look like the ufo's in X-files.

I found out that Lenard keeps his planes in his van. He called me at work (we both work at the same place) and we cut out early on tuesday because there was some really nice wind out in Livermore. We went up to some place he called Bart Hill, and I got some more stick time on the zagi.

In the mean time I'm making my DAW S1-26hlg. I'd post some pictures, but it is just foam and balsa held together with masking tape right now. The wing parts are curing though, so hopefully I'll be able to get the wing finished this weekend.

--Todd
t6e23 is offline Find More Posts by t6e23
Old Mar 15, 2002, 11:27 AM
Minnesota
Joined Dec 2000
258 Posts
I found the slope forum by clicking a hot post link on the Ezone home page. I cant seem to find a link in the discussion area. Is this a secret ezone forum?
mrtim is offline Find More Posts by mrtim
Old Mar 15, 2002, 11:40 AM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Nope, EZone is actually a subsection of RCGroups. Click on the RCGroups logo in the top left, and you'll get the whole listing.
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Mar 15, 2002, 01:52 PM
Idaho
Joined Oct 2001
261 Posts
mrtim,
I've noticed that I can't get all the groups to come up either. The only way I'm able to get to this slope forum is because I put it into "MY R/C GROUPS" folder/thingey. LOL

I also clicked on the rcgroups logo and I just get the General Discussion and Electric Flight forums. Nothing else. Perhaps it needs a fix??

Josh
JayParke is offline Find More Posts by JayParke