Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 16, 2002, 10:42 AM
Walla Walla
Joined May 2002
2,639 Posts
PVC Waterpipe And Coro Wing 60" Span

My Website has some cool videos and simple plan.
lvspark is offline Find More Posts by lvspark
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2002, 11:58 AM
Leicester
Joined May 2002
25 Posts
Drainpie Model

After becomming incresingly annoyed at people at the slope going on about how expensive their F3 models were. We decided to make one out of a drainpipe!
Not exactly competetive but it was fun to do!
Wings are white foam and brown paper, flew well, very steady landing were a bit fast!
Duncan is offline Find More Posts by Duncan
Old May 18, 2002, 12:02 PM
Leicester
Joined May 2002
25 Posts
In flight!
Duncan is offline Find More Posts by Duncan
Old May 18, 2002, 12:44 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Drainpipe models

Sorry lads, but there's a disturbing trend starting to appear.
Drainpipe and other minimal outlay models (Mugi, Zugini et al) are supposed to look like they were retrieved from a rubbish tip. They are NOT supposed to look :-

1) As if they can fly
2) Actually fly
3) Actually fly well
4) Reasonably aesthetically pleasing

Yours seems to fail these criteria on all counts.

Congratulations on a total failure!

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old May 18, 2002, 08:02 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Nothing...NOTHING...beats a composite in flight. I have a couple of foamies, but there's nothing quite like the stupid efficiency of a fibreglass slope machine. Sorry! Build your own...it's cheaper.

Speaking of which, I maiden flighted (is that a word?) my BossaNova today. Little nervous, but it flew beautifully. Two clicks of down trim (flying stab, never sure), and she was flying dead straight. Tracks like it's on rails!! Sloping rocks!!

15 kph of wind, so nothing serious, but she handled it like a trooper. For all that need a good all-round slope airfoil, try the SD7003. I'm happy.
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old May 18, 2002, 08:03 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Big dumb grin...that's a good sign!!
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old May 18, 2002, 11:12 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Here is my first real slope plane...

Click to enlarge

I flew it today for the first time and I had a blast! The wind was very strong (and very gusty) for the first 45 minutes, and were coming right at the dam.

Click to enlarge

Check out my dog. He had to point into the wind to keep from being blown off the dam.

I flew it several times for a total of about 45 minutes. I twice lost if behind the dam. The first time I panicked a little, almost recovered, but then stalled it when I tried to pull it back up to the dam. It spun into the rocks at the bottom of the dam. Damage? None of course! The bee is full molded EPP.

During the second flight, I was having a good time just learning how to fly on a slope. On my second flight, I started trying different things. One thing I did was to fly down the face of the dam, a few feet off the deck. I flew rather fast, and was quite cool (for a newbie).

The second time I lost it behind the dam, I flew it out, pulled a big loop back towards the dam, and then flew the Bee back up the face of the dam a few feet off the deck. (...which it did surprisingly fast. What happened? What was it doing?) I thought it would slow down. Anyway, when it cleared the top of the dam, it continued up for another 20 feet or so. I was trying to push it back over to go down the face of the dam again, but I let it bleed off too much speed and the wind just pushed right over the backside of the dam again (like a kite). I tried to work the Bee back up, but realizing I couldnít, I decided to land it (under control) on the path to the lake, which made recovery much easier than if it had landed in the lake.

Click to enlarge

I got to the lake rather late, and by the time I was making my last flight, the winds were dying down. I was having a hard time keeping it airborne, so I landed near the bottom of the grassy side of the dam and stopped for the day.

I will definitely be doing this again!

Videos of the Bee in action... Please turn down the sound as the wind noise is quite loud. I am trying to tone down the audio tracks now, but so far my video editor isn't working quite right.)
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old May 19, 2002, 01:04 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,769 Posts
nice plane duncan. don't let the snobs get you down.

btw, it's good to see other young guys in the hobby
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old May 20, 2002, 11:09 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dave_lilley
The second time I lost it behind the dam, I flew it out, pulled a big loop back towards the dam, and then flew the Bee back up the face of the dam a few feet off the deck. (...which it did surprisingly fast. What happened? What was it doing?) I thought it would slow down. Anyway, when it cleared the top of the dam, it continued up for another 20 feet or so.
Dave,
Sounds like you may have inadvertently done your first DS'ing. When the plane gets down into the dead air behind the hill like that it will move much faster (no resistance). You should experiment around back there a bit.

Your dam looks like a pretty sweet place to fly. Man I wish I had some soft, smooth area like that to land in!.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old May 20, 2002, 11:34 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Canyon Dam is a nice place to fly! I just wish I would have been there instead of at Lake Travis Saturday to take advantage of the wind. Canyon is a very nice DS site! I fought shifting winds at my slope, and had a less than desirable day with the JW. Had I known, I would have been there wringing it out!

James
Admiral_Red is offline Find More Posts by Admiral_Red
Old May 21, 2002, 12:58 AM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Cool... I had experienced something similar once before when I flew my Spatz there. As I brought it back up to the ridge, I flew it along the ridge for about half the dam. The Spatz started to accelerate very quickly. It wasnít exactly what I saw the other day with the Bee, but close. I canít wait to go again. I need more practice. While I was there, a gentleman stopped by. He said that he and his co-workers flew Zagis in Houston. I told him to check out the E-Zone (he didnít know we existed), and to bring his Zagi next time he came out towards San Antonio. I also know another E-Zoner in San Antonio who may come out with me next time I go. I would love to see more folks out there. James (and anyone else who wants to come), I hope to see you there too. I think it would be very cool to have several slopers flying at the same time.
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Aug 04, 2005, 05:44 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Blast from the past

Thought newbies might find this thread interestingÖ. Blast from the past designs and some familiar shapes.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer