HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2001, 05:39 PM
Central Lake, Mi. USA
Joined Jan 2001
263 Posts
First flight of AT-6

My first flight of a Herr AT-6 were met with dismal failure. The plane would pitch up and then stall to the left. I don't believe the cg was that far off as all the power system was forward of the CG. It seems as though the elevator was in need of trim,however after I repair the damage(slight) I will check for proper CG.
AT-6 Texan
Permax 450 Turbo
8 1400 or 1600 mah cells
Grish Tornado 7X4 prop
Castle Creations Sprite 25 ESC
144 w in
14 amps
15750 RPM
1 lb. 12 oz. AUW
Should be enough to fly plane maybe I should practice my throwing technique hmmmm.
Keep 'em flying John Z :O

John Zook is offline Find More Posts by John Zook
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2001, 06:32 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,898 Posts
John don't feel so bad about your throwing technique.i had the same problem this morning when i went out with my aqua star.i went to hand launch it and hit my hat(one of those with a big fat brimm!!)rite into the ground but lucky no damage.DUH!! 86the hat! my a/s is pulling a 174 amps and i'm useing a 6x5 aeronaut Glas Elektro prop.my r.t.f. is 26oz.sorry i don't know how many rpm i'm turning.will it do r.o.g.?? my motor is running d.d. Sounds like you may need more torque then rev's. are you running d.d.? or a gear box? stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jul 08, 2001, 12:44 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
John:
Your experience sounds familiar. The 2 r.o.g.'s with my Herr Harvard (AT6 conversion) have resulted in snap rolls to inverted as soon as the wing was 3' in the air. Very disconcerting! I feel that part of the problem with mine is the fact that I built it R/E only, increasing the dihedral by a couple of degrees to compensate for the lack of ailerons. But your launch seems to indicate that this kit may have other problems that make it very touchy at low airspeeds. Please let us know how you overcome this tendency in yours.

My setup:
S400 6V
1.78:1 gearbox
8x600AE
APC-E 9x6
11A static
21 oz. ready to fly.

Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Jul 08, 2001, 12:55 AM
Omaha, NE
Joined Apr 2000
566 Posts
Mine flies fairly well with the following configuration:

Permax 480 w/ 6X2 APC prop direct drive
10 cell 500AR packs

It is 22oz ready to fly. It will take off from the ground but only on perfectly smooth pavement. Off of grass it will just get stuck and nose over. I fly it Aileron and elevator and throttle. It is a real handful. I have plenty of power as it climbs out smartly. Just remember to make sure you have some juice left to land. It deadsticks like a brick. Tip stalls happen very easily when the speed is low so don't turn until you get on step and have some altitude. Good Luck. It will fly but it definately is not one of your more relaxing fliers.
mumboender is offline Find More Posts by mumboender
Old Jul 08, 2001, 08:26 PM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
Every model of the AT-6 that I've seen fly (and the full-scale ones, too) has flown like a brick. Been to several 1/4-scale meets and the AT-6 flyers told me that it's one design that loves to roll over and snap if it gets too slow.

Sounds like it needs a long runway to build up speed or a bungee launcher!
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Jul 08, 2001, 10:08 PM
Al
Sidney,British Columbia, Canada
Joined Jan 1999
180 Posts
Didn't Herr have something in their instructions that referred to this problem. The put an added note in the kit? I've been trying to find it. I haven't flown mine yet.
Al is offline Find More Posts by Al
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:28 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Apr 2000
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al:
Didn't Herr have something in their instructions that referred to this problem. The put an added note in the kit? I've been trying to find it. I haven't flown mine yet.
The instructions say to make sure you form the leading edge accurately and the model should not tip stall. I formed mine very accurately and it still tip stalls when it is slow. I think it all comes down to it has very little wing area and the fuse is very short. Like I said it does fly and looks good in the air but takes a decent amount of control. Even with maximum throws it is not very aerobatic. Mine takes almost full down on the inverted side to not lose a ton of altitude and it will only fly for about 150 feet or so inverted before it falls off.
mumboender is offline Find More Posts by mumboender
Old Jul 09, 2001, 09:55 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,686 Posts
The problem I think you are having is inadequate washout. I had the HOB AT-6 on glow with a 25. First flights were the same disasters everybody is reporting- stall/snaps to inverted etc. I tried moving the cg forward- no joy. Finally I went back and read the directions- the plans called for 3/16" washout in both tips. This is a lot of washout-but low and behold, I now had a pussycat that slowed down wonderfully but really wasn't all that quick- too much drag. Essentially I had lots of motor that didn't do anything- the airplane just made more noise when I opened it up. I eventually lost it when an aileron servo came loose, but I may rebuild as an electric. Anyhow, twist more washout into the wings- more than you've seen on other airplanes, and I'll bet you'll like how it flies.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jul 10, 2001, 07:08 PM
Central Lake, Mi. USA
Joined Jan 2001
263 Posts
Thanks for all the responses in regards to my problem with this bird. I may tackle it again in the next week or two when I,m not too busy with other projects. On the other hand it seems as if this plane has some design problems which may or may not make it suitable for electric flight. Also the leading edge of the wing where it sets in the fuse is crushed somewhat making another repair job I don't need right now. Maybe I'll just get a Hot Cat or Simple 400 to put the gear into. Thanks again guys. John Z.
John Zook is offline Find More Posts by John Zook