HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Awesome--t-hawk Modification...

Man,,this is so cool..went to radio shack and got 4-LEDS..they are 10m.m -----5,000mcd -leds..about $2.69 a piece..bought some magnet wire..and wired them all up to my spare servo channel...the t-hawk is the PERFECT plane for night flying/lights...I cant belivee I havent seen 1 thread on here about anyone doing this..since its a no brainer..because the whole front half/cockpit area of the plane is hollow orange plastic/...I kept 2 of the leds inside the cockpit area underneath the wing where all the electronics are located and then used 1 led on each side of the fuselage pointing outwards towards the wing tips...the plane looks like it came from chernobyl nuclear plant..its so awesome...and easy to do..with most regular planes..that arent hollow inside..its a real pain trying to place the leds at correct positions on the wings/nose/tail etc..and getting them to stay there..with the t-hawk..its so easy...I see alot fo night flying in my future..lol..Ironically..I bought the leds to use on my sky-scooter pro2..when I realiazed the t-hawk was a better canidate for night flying not only for ease of placement of the leds and the t-hawks bright orange color..but also becuase the t-hawk is such a stable flyer at both low/hi speeds..Ill keep the sky-scooter for day flights..
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:28 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Pictures, Pictures, send us those pics!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
wish I could doug..youd like it alot...I have no knowledge of downloading info/pictures though...sry...but if your interested in night flying..the t-hawk is perfect..what a versatile plane for under $160...it seems as thought toytronix other planes have been diasters though...I guess the t-hawk is what is making them the big profits ..
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:52 PM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Ahh, confucious say, "loading pics very easy!" Just click "Go Advanced"(at the bottom of the page, under the quick post), scroll down and click "manage attachments." This will open up a new window. Click one of the buttons that says "browse" Then select on your hardrive where the picture is located. You can select up to five pictures, making sure each pic is no larger than 100 kb. Then click "upload." once it says done it will list in that window the picture/pictures you have uploaded. You can close the window, and if your done typing your text, you can click, "submit reply." Done!

Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
Last edited by FLYWINGFAN; Jan 06, 2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I will have to try it then tommoroow..Ill get my girl to take a digital picture..and see if it works.,,,thank you...
Old Jan 06, 2005, 10:36 PM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
Sounds like a "nukular" cousin of my Beaver.

I want to see pictures of yours, I was just thinking about lighting my brothers T-Hawk up about an hour ago, with a bunch of cheap Orange 4000mcd LED's... Same idea as yours light it up like a lamp.

The beaver pic is from last year, I'm resurrecting it for night flying as I type, New wing, cowl, new lighting...
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Old Jan 06, 2005, 10:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
the blue is beautiful.....ironically..I didnt have to use any resistors on my LEDS...WHICH IS SOMETHING i WAS TOLD WAS NEEDED..with the resistors in series,,the leds wouldnt light...so I went direct into the spare out of rec...and they lite up great..maybe its becasue they are 10m.m,,and need more power...mosty peoeple use 5m.m....I havent flown it yet..I jsut did it tonite..and its rainin here..AGAiN ...but I left the lights on for several minutes..and moved all the comtrol surfaces...nothing shut off/down on me..and I checked the leds to see if they were hot..and they werent even warm//
Old Jan 06, 2005, 10:56 PM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
If you don't need the LED youve gotten lucky because you really do need a resistor nearly all the time to keep them from burning out. They may not last for you even if they seem fine at the moment, do you just have 2 of them in series hooked up to 5v?

led resistor calculator here... http://www.rc-cam.com/led_info.htm#Calculator

Beware blue light fades into the night sky and becomes fuzzy closer in then red light, the red you can see sharply defined really far away.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 11:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I got 4 of them in series..and they didnt get warm at all..if imagine in the air..they wouild even be less likely to overheat...if the had to much current..they would definitely be warm/hot..from what ive read...I think I just got lucky...by going with 10m.m leds..
Old Jan 06, 2005, 11:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
2 in the canopy..to light it up..and 1 on each wing near the fuselage..point ing outward towards the tips of each wing..on these 2..I may put the led in one end of a painted plastic straw..and see if it spreads out more light..just an idea..
Old Jan 06, 2005, 11:09 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
the easiet way is to wire them in series so that the total voltage is equal to or less than 5V.

I agree about using RED / YELLOW / ORANGE to light up the nightsky
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Jan 07, 2005, 12:46 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
I suspect green works really well as far as visibility too, just haven't tried it yet.

Earlier I was a couple of credit card numbers away form ordering about $50 worth of LED's from superbrightleds.com but decide to wait.

I need to focus on getting my CNC foam cutter up and running before I start my microcontroller controlled lighting system project that the beaver will be a flying test bed for. Got the servos, esc, receiver, motor installed, new cowls trimmed and new wings done. I need to make new struts and get the lights set up.

I think the fuse will be lit up red inside w/ red cowl and just two blue uplights (same ones in fact) pointed up at the wings but angled a little different then before.

That will be the basic lights for now till the CNC is done, I'll at least have a night flyer to play with.

I can't remember if this is the 3rd or 4th resurrection, do beavers have 9 lives too?
Old Jan 07, 2005, 01:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
1 other t-hawk mod I never saw that I have done is to
cut a 1"x1/2" window in the front of the plane right above the black battery canopy that opens up for battery installation... and I zip tied the esc in that opening so the whole esc recieves 100% of the ventillation generated in flight by the plane...Ive never had it get hot or shut down and ive been running it hard with 8cell pack..I will test fly it during the daylight with the lights on..to see if anyhting shuts down on me..with the 4 leds now drawing xtra current without resistors wired in series..
Old Jan 07, 2005, 07:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Just flew the t-hawk at night with the night lights on....worked perfect..2 flights...and the leds werent even warm after each flight..nothing shut down on me as far as controls or the esc..and the esc wasnt even warm after both flights...and this is with wiring the leds direct..no resistors...did notice about a 3-4 minute loss of flying time..down to about 9 minutes..but thats perfect for night flying...also keep in mind that my esc is positioned so it recieves the full brunt of the wind generated by flight..to maximaize cooling efficiency...if you do this mod without resisotrs..and keep your esc in the orange canopy part..where it doesnt get alot of cooling..Id imagine you run the risk of it getting warm/hot..but mine didnt..because of how its psoitoned..
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:05 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
runme,

When people talk about 'burning out' LED's, they're not really referring to noticable thermal burn out but rather an eventual failure of the junction inside of the LED which gives the light, hence, keeping them "cool in the airflow" won't have any actual effects.

The reason why LED's need a resistor (typically) is because they need a specific voltage, this varies between 1.6V~3.0V depending on the type.

The math/theory behind which resistor to use is not too hard, however it can seem daunting.

You need: Volts the LED wants (drops), the current the LED will draw, the voltage you're running the LED's from (your battery).

Resistor = (V.bat - V.led) / current (in Amps)

eg, 1.8V for LED @ 25mA from 7.4V will give

R = (7.4 - 1.8 V) / 0.025 A
= 224 Ohms (use a 220 Ohm resistor)
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD