HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1 Posts
New guy here, just looking for a place to start.....

Hey guys,

My name is Jeremy and I'm new here. I had a question about building a boat from scratch. My class of mechnannical engineers is looking for a project to do as a class before the end of the year. The front runner so far seems to be R/C boats. Our class focuses on CNC manufacturing, and as such, we need to take on a project that would be in that scope. Our idea is to use our CNC machines to fabricate the various parts needed for the boat, as well as to make a mold for hull fabrication out of fiberglass of carbon fiber. Also, we would be building 8-9 boats in total, for each student in the class, as well as one that would stay at the school. This sounds like a really cool project to us and we are all excited to get started.

That's where we need help. Due to time constraints, we figure that we need to purchase plans for boat construction. These boats would probably be deep vee or catamaran, still undecided at this point. Also, engine choice would be either gas or nitro, also undecided at this point. I have been looking through some of the posts on this and other forums and have a good idea of the amount of work that has to be done to make this project a success.

With all of that said, I was wondering if somedone could recommend a good place to purchase plans for such a boat? As well, pros/cons to different facets of boat building, engine choice, and so on? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Jeremy
jigjew is offline Find More Posts by jigjew
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:23 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I have built some boats from scrach, Isugjest you buy a bout of your dreams and reused the plans, most kits sugjest motors, controlers,etc. the plans are to scale so your cnc unit could be programed up or down from there LOL.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 07, 2005, 05:23 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,543 Posts
If you're "encouraged" to use CNC, a better style of boat to demonstrate its use would be the round bilge type of plank on frame, e.g., fishing boats, tugs etc. The hard chine types are basically straight lines or cylindrical/conical developments.
Plans can be had from https://www.traplet.com/pages/store/...ans.html&-show and a good directory for plans is https://www.shipsshop.com/lista.php?...hp&tipo=planes (must support the domestic economy )
Personally, I'd think a boat of about 30" length, electrically powered would be big enough to house radio, a 6/12 V lead/acid gel cell and be suitable for a wide selection of waters. Many lakes are out of bounds for nitro/gas boats.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Last edited by martin richards; Jan 07, 2005 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 03:00 PM
México, D.F.
Joined Oct 2004
888 Posts
Hello!!!
I belive Ropanach is right, but another good directory for plans, some of them maybe not so complex is:
http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/plans.asp?catego=PL
good luck
escipion is offline Find More Posts by escipion
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:48 AM
Joined Dec 2004
21 Posts
Hello!

Do you see this:
Carene

Probably, it not the freshest idea on a forum.
With Carene I have received positive experience of a hobby of modelling of large hulls (47 - 55 ").
The product can appear the prototype for manufacturing a negative mold.
Good luck!
Zitch is offline Find More Posts by Zitch
Last edited by Zitch; Jan 21, 2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:10 PM
Universal Modeler
Rockford Il.
Joined Jan 2005
14 Posts
Cant say about the hull, but I envy you for having a CNC unit to use. I fabricate almost all of my drive, and mount's from available angle and flat stock. You would be surprised at how basic you can make it.Some of the smaller drive parts are better off being purchased, as they would be too time consuming to fab, and they are cheap anyway.Look for used weed wacker unit's.You can use that engine, most of the time.You can make drive shaft's from the 1/4" flex cable inside.If you allow enough fresh air, I dont think you would even need to water cool them.I dont recomend Nitro for student's. The learning curve is too steep, and expensive.Plus the high rpm needed to keep the glow plug lit doesnt work well with larger vessels.Go with gasoline engines, a larger, slower turning prop, and make most of the part's yourself.I suggest ordering a catalog from "OCTURA", or go to there web site. Most of what they sell is very basic, and easy to fab up.
P/S, I have seen people selling mold's, and raw hulls on eBay from time to time, usually cheap.
POPEYEBOB is offline Find More Posts by POPEYEBOB
Last edited by POPEYEBOB; Jan 21, 2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 04:43 AM
MEH
Joined Jan 2005
1 Posts
yea i got a boat. in a box somewhere. wonder if it sill works.
MEH is offline Find More Posts by MEH