HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2001, 08:51 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Ryan Hellcat covering weight?

How much weight do the typical filmcovering add to this model?

Thanks,
Haldor
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2001, 08:04 AM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Haldor,

Not sure about the Hellcat but I do know the weight gain on my Bearcat was only in the 1 to 2 ounce range when I used Ultracote. My Bearcat weighs 18.5oz ready to fly.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old Jun 13, 2001, 08:22 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
The Bearcat is the same size so it applies
Thanks for the numbers Jeff - looks like I'll be fine then

Will cover it this weekend.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 03:10 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,568 Posts
haldor,

i have a ryan bearcat that i covered with monokote. if i remember correctly, mine also gained just under 2 oz. after being covered. http://www.geocities.com/audiokev/electricpics.html
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jun 13, 2001, 11:08 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Hey Kevin.

Good lookin' ship! I will see how it turns out.

Happy flying all!
Old Jun 14, 2001, 12:00 AM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
383 Posts
I covered my zagi both sides with ultracoat and measured the weight gain with an electronic scale and ended up to be only a 1.8 ounce gain.
rcastab is online now Find More Posts by rcastab
Old Jun 15, 2001, 07:36 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Okay - its done

Covering added 1,2oz overall. Oracover was used. All Up Weight = 17,1oz with 7x500AR and the typical s400/6V , 6x4prop.
Hopefully I'll get it in the air this weekend.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 16, 2001, 10:10 AM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Haldor:
Okay - its done

Covering added 1,2oz overall. Oracover was used. All Up Weight = 17,1oz with 7x500AR and the typical s400/6V , 6x4prop.
Hopefully I'll get it in the air this weekend.

Thanks for the help.
Haldor,

I'd go with 8 cells, if you can, the performance is much better and the weight gain to 18oz will not affect flight characteristics. Good luck witht the fist flight. You're gonna love this plane.

Jeff

jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old Jun 16, 2001, 07:54 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
I will try 8cells when I bother to rearrange my 500AR packs I know the 7cell combo work well indeed as this isnt my first Ryan Hellcat. Never done one in film though.

The old one was 20oz BTW - 1/16" skin on the wings and HS81's + paint directly onto the wood made it that way. Still flew great though.

I do love this plane

Old Jul 05, 2001, 09:55 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Finally flew the Hellcat tonite - weather was picture perfect and dead calm conditions. Put 3 flights on it just cruising around. The last flight was timed to 6mins (6:08s) which was great!

As I menioned I have had one before but it was 20oz RTF with the same powerpackage. The now lower weight really payed off in the slow speed handling dept. and reduced throttle usage hence the good duration. I'm gonna fly this puppy a lot more

Old Jul 08, 2001, 09:30 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
Having flown these planes with a variety of power packages, I've come to the conclusion that POWER loading is more of an issue than wing loading. With a brushless motor and 800AR cells, they still fly nicely and are easy to launch and land, even though the all up weight is 22 ounces or more.

But with a humble 6V S400 for power, you're a lot better off at 18 ounces. 19 is okay, but anything over that and performance really starts to suffer.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:23 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
So you say its okay to put either my Kontronik FUN400-23 or -28 with 8zapped CP1300's to use?

Seriously Jim I agree with you. Wingloading is only an issue if you havent the power to haul it around. I've learnt that from playing with my EDFs.

My current Hellcat (aka Pussycat ) is a very sweet flyer which I'll certainly enjoy more. I really liked the slowspeed handling which was missing in my first and heavier Hellcat. It flew very fine that one too but it needed to get up on step before it calmed down.

Pour on the watts and thanks for chiming in Jim!
-Haldor
Old Jul 09, 2001, 09:34 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Haldor:
So you say its okay to put either my Kontronik FUN400-23 or -28 with 8zapped CP1300's to use?

Wellll, there IS a limit to how far you can take this....

Seriously Jim I agree with you. Wingloading is only an issue if you havent the power to haul it around. I've learnt that from playing with my EDFs.

That's a very good point, Haldor. The guys getting the best results with EDFs tend to be the guys flying planes with comparatively high wing loadings. Klaus Scharnhorst aptly described this approach by saying that you should use the smallest airframe that can accommodate the power system. This means that you end up with a plane that has minimum WEIGHT (high thrust to weight ratio) and low drag, but a rather high wing loading. Pylon racers illustrate the same approach.

My current Hellcat (aka Pussycat ) is a very sweet flyer which I'll certainly enjoy more. I really liked the slowspeed handling which was missing in my first and heavier Hellcat. It flew very fine that one too but it needed to get up on step before it calmed down.

This little Hellcat is surprisingly docile. It gives ample warning of a stall if you're paying any attention at all.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Jul 09, 2001, 11:59 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ryan:

That's a very good point, Haldor. The guys getting the best results with EDFs tend to be the guys flying planes with comparatively high wing loadings. Klaus Scharnhorst aptly described this approach by saying that you should use the smallest airframe that can accommodate the power system. This means that you end up with a plane that has minimum WEIGHT (high thrust to weight ratio) and low drag, but a rather high wing loading. Pylon racers illustrate the same approach.
That is exactly what I have in mind on my <a href="http://home.online.no/~hlonning/ebandit/ebandit.html">E-Bandit</a>

Happy flying all!