HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2005, 07:21 AM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Tanics, to buy or not to buy...I'm hung up on....

I'm hung up about buying lipos without the balancing taps! I guess I'm worrying too much about this, as most other brands DO NOT have this feature, and are being used by the majority.

I had my first lipos ordered from a vendor here on the forum, but did not get them! (I won't get into that now!)

Someone recommend another good brand for me please! I have a new ICE charger and am in the market for 830 to 1500 mah 2s1p size lipos.

Thanks, Jim.
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2005, 07:39 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
I think taps are a good idea.
Tanic and Polyquest both provide them.
I would be inclined to go with one of these 2 from what I've experienced and heard.
For small cells the Kokam 340s perform well (although a bit heavy) but at larger sizes I think Tanic and Polyquest will out-perform them. TP seem pretty good but like Kokam they don't supply taps (at least not last time I checked). The Apogee cells are pretty similar to Polyquest but I don't think they supply taps (they may be the same cell type, I can't remember but I think the answer is in the links below)

There are some good threads on the this forum to help you decide (if you want to put the research time in - it can take a while).
For starters I'd suggest a look at the following 2 threads.
They get a bit heated but have a lot of good data too (particularly the first one). They start out about Kokam's specifically but end up having just as much in them about other brands.

Exploding the LIPO high hischarge myth
New High Discharge Kokams

Aidan
P.S.
Don't get the idea I'm picking on Kokam - these just happened to be the most informative threads I could find among my recent subscribed threads.
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Jan 06, 2005, 08:11 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
I have read that Tanic and Apogee are made by the same manufacture and both of these brands have a very good reputation. I like the fact that Tanic uses JST connectors for the taps and they have a very neat secure means of installing them or at least this vendor does.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=4
If you want taps for sure I would always check the fine print and be very specific due to the fact that some brands only come with taps on larger packs.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 06, 2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 08:29 AM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
It seems as if more and more manufacturers are going to taps and or balancers on their packs. Apogees now have "voltage ports"

http://www.pfmdistribution.com/

And TP now has a "balancer connector" on their new packs.

http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=10

Tanic has always had taps and I think that Polyquest has always had them also. I guess word is getting out to make a "safer" product.

Doug
unbalanced prop is offline Find More Posts by unbalanced prop
Old Jan 06, 2005, 08:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced prop
It seems as if more and more manufacturers are going to taps and or balancers on their packs. Apogees now have "voltage ports"

http://www.pfmdistribution.com/

And TP now has a "balancer connector" on their new packs.

http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=10

Tanic has always had taps and I think that Polyquest has always had them also. I guess word is getting out to make a "safer" product.

Doug
I would like to point out that Poly Quest does not have their Tap on smaller packs and the same can be said of others.
It seems to me that the taps are become more popular / necessary as the higher C capable cells are being pushed to their limits. Cells which are not used at above 70% of their maxi mun safe discharge rate and that are not discharged below 3.7 volts be cell resting(stable open voltage) do not tend to go out of balance.
Many problems can be avoided by just not trying to operate on the raged edge.
If you must have 8 amps. then a 700-730 rated 10C continues with burst to 12C will get you by but it will be short lived if you use a lot of WOT.
If you went up to 1200 size cells rated at 10C then you would only have to operate them at 70% to get the same 8 amps.Your flight time would just about double and the pack will last a lot longer.

Charles
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:09 AM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Charles

Not sure what you mean by smaller packs as I have several 850 Polyquest 3S and 830 Apogee 3S packs that have taps. A buddy of mine also has a Tanic 830 3S pack and if I remember right , it has taps.

I do agree completely with your 70% theory. My cells that aren't pushed too hard seem to last longer then the packs that are used on the "ragged edge". Hopefully the newer generation of lipols will allow them to be pushed harder without going out of balance.

Doug
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:19 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced prop
Charles

Not sure what you mean by smaller packs as I have several 850 Polyquest 3S and 830 Apogee 3S packs that have taps. A buddy of mine also has a Tanic 830 3S pack and if I remember right , it has taps.

I do agree completely with your 70% theory. My cells that aren't pushed too hard seem to last longer then the packs that are used on the "ragged edge". Hopefully the newer generation of lipols will allow them to be pushed harder without going out of balance.

Doug
Well according to this site
http://www.batterystation.com/lithiu...gPQ2S-0600.htm
Poly Quest 600 packs do not have taps ,850 and above do.
I have never seen a pack of between 320-820 with taps unless it was a custom made one. Part of this maybe due to the increased cost of material and labor to add taps .

Charles
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:29 AM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
You are probably right as I have no personal experience of packs under 830mah. Although to me, some of those size packs get pushed pretty hard and maybe should have taps. I fire is a fire, and a small pack could burn a house down the same as a big pack.

Doug
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:31 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
I have read that Tanic and Apogee are made by the same manufacture and both of these brands have a very good reputation...
I have read suggestions that these and also Polyquest were the same cells from the same cell manufacturer. However this has been denied for at least one of them. Tanic I think.
If you want to check have a read through the threads I posted earlier. I think Vintage1 had pretty solid information on the subject. If I remember correctly both Apogee and Polyquest are 'Enerland' cells and Tanic are not. This is just from memory so best to check it out if it's important to you. As you say they all have a good reputation so I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not they are identical. For comparable cells from these brands I'd base my choice on cost and availability of taps.

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:40 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Li Pos by manufactors?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=14

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 06, 2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:52 AM
Doh!
McHenry, IL
Joined Apr 2004
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitygust
I'm hung up about buying lipos without the balancing taps! I guess I'm worrying too much about this, as most other brands DO NOT have this feature, and are being used by the majority.

I had my first lipos ordered from a vendor here on the forum, but did not get them! (I won't get into that now!)

Someone recommend another good brand for me please! I have a new ICE charger and am in the market for 830 to 1500 mah 2s1p size lipos.

Thanks, Jim.

Is there any reason that you are avoiding Tanics? If you are worried about it what's wrong with just buying them and getting it over with?

For what it's worth, my opinion is you need taps.
scurrier is offline Find More Posts by scurrier
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:55 AM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Tanic Packs Made with Pride and Craftsmanship in USA

Tanic and Apogee R made in the same factory APL according to Brian

Tanic packs R built with pride and craftmanship in America by Americans

Can anyone say that about any other brand.
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Jan 06, 2005, 10:13 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
Tanic and Apogee R made in the same factory APL according to Brian

Tanic packs R built with pride and craftmanship in America by Americans

Can anyone say that about any other brand.
Only some Tanic packs are built in the US - many of the smaller ones I believe are assembled by APL in Malaysia. At least thats the information thats been posted...

ALL Thunder Power packs are built in America by Americans. I believe they are currently the only ones still assembling their entire product line of LiPo packs in the US.
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2005, 11:39 AM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,363 Posts
What about the Great Planes packs that have the seperate charge connectors, aren't they good?
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Jan 06, 2005, 11:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
What about the Great Planes packs that have the separate charge connectors, aren't they good?
Well that depends on your meaning of good.
First off the separate charging plug only goes to a device which prevents the pack from being charged to the wrong voltage . A 2 cell can only be charged to 8.2 volts , a 3 cell to 12.6 v. etc. It does not balance the pack,and it does not provide any means to check cells or balance them.
I have a few of these which I purchased from Towers and the cells look like Kokams and I have had very bad performance from the Electri Fli and Kokams.

Read the first post here very carefully
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315205

Part of my data at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=22

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 06, 2005 at 11:59 AM.