HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2005, 02:16 AM
USA, OR, The Dalles
Joined Jul 2004
98 Posts
Will Rx be able to take more mAh?

I have some old EXPERT Rx with old batteirs that Don"t hold a charge. I wanted to make some new battery packs. I bought some Rayovac NIMH AA's. Will the 1800mah AA's harm the Rx's or will it just give me more time to fly? R0D
gorge windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by gorge windsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:23 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,659 Posts
No harm, just more flying time.

Only extra VOLTAGE can cause problems, extra capacity has no effect.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:40 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,507 Posts
Slipstick is right. I just want to add another hint - if you're in the US, you can buy 4-pack Energizer 2500mAh at Wal-Mart for around $9. You'll get even more time to fly with these. :-))
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2005, 11:17 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,965 Posts
Receivers have voltage regulators and really could care less about the input voltage...except maybe when being asked to take about 10KV. Just kidding. But I would be wary of the very high capacity battery packs like the 2500-mA cells. They may not have the low internal impedence to meet the demands of the servos in the air, and that could cause you some problems. If you're just droning along and most of the flying is basically hands off free-flight, no problem. But if you are turning constant rolls, snaps and loops, you might not like what happens when you call for a snap roll, and because of the power demand by the servos, you get a receiver shutdown when the battery cannot provide the current.

mlee8249
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jan 06, 2005, 01:33 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
Receivers have voltage regulators and really could care less about the input voltage...except maybe when being asked to take about 10KV. Just kidding.
Every voltage regulator I have ever heard of does in fact have an input voltage limit. The statement that they could care less about the input voltage is not accurate. I don't know what the limit is, but for sure there is a limit.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:52 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,659 Posts
Most of the receivers I've looked at don't have an internal voltage regulator at all. And certainly servos don't and they get the full battery voltage too. So excess voltage will kill the lot of them very quickly.

mlee8249 has an interesting theoretical point about current demand....at least if you're flying a huge model with lots of digital servos. But for more normal models I don't think I've yet seen any 1800mAh cells which can't deliver at least as much as the basic 600mAh NiCds that were standard with most equipment.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 06, 2005, 05:12 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Yep, I think mlee8249's statement that "Receivers have voltage regulators and really could care less about the input voltage......" Is irresponsible.

I suspect that if a person were to connect their 5 cell LiPo directly to a receiver, there would be a lot of smoke from the receiver and the servos. Given mlee8249's assurance that anything is OK, I'm not sure everyone who reads these threads has the electrical knowledge to prevent such a disaster.

Agree with slipstick - it is going to take a whale of a load to take a 4.8 volt, 2500 mah pack down to the point a receiver will not function.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3