HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2005, 11:30 PM
An Aussie in Canada
Belleville, Ontario.
Joined Sep 2003
545 Posts
Best R/C jet flight sims for PC

Hi guys and gals, with winter starting to set in now well and truly in the Great White North the only flying I will be doing for a while will be on a sim....So Iam looking for some feed back on R/C flight sims for PC and what is considered to have the best options and is the latest and greatest... I have never owned any R/C sims myself before so I do not know whats out there? all I know is what I see from ads in the model magazines, so which one would be ideal? I would like to use my JR 10X for controls instead of the cheap sim supplied Tx's, so a sim with interface would be ideal plus I would also like a sim that was as realistic as possible with realistic scenery and feel, if possible a sim with set up options for a variety of aircraft but primarily jets of course if at all possible?? so any and all feed back from all you sim owners would be most welcomed

Cheers-
Marty C. is offline Find More Posts by Marty C.
Last edited by Marty C.; Jan 05, 2005 at 11:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2005, 08:23 AM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Nov 2004
118 Posts
Marty,

The new Real Flight G3 is very good. You can use your own 10X for control.
AirPac Models is offline Find More Posts by AirPac Models
Old Jan 06, 2005, 11:44 AM
An Aussie in Canada
Belleville, Ontario.
Joined Sep 2003
545 Posts
sims

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirPac Models
Marty,

The new Real Flight G3 is very good. You can use your own 10X for control.
G'day Eric, thanks for the feed back... and by the way great talking to you the other day and thanks for getting those F18 missles and tanks shipped to me, I cant wait to see how the SkyMaster 'Bug' will look all dressed up with stores....

Re- Sims, so far I have been told about three good sims the G3 the MRC Reflex XTR and the AeroFly Pro Deluxe. I will have to do some serious research on these three to see how they stack up against each other
Anyone tried all three of these by chance that could shed further light on the pros and cons if there are any?

Cheers-
Old Jan 06, 2005, 12:28 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,904 Posts
I fly G2 at the LHS everytime I go in there and Aerofly-Professional at home. I like the AF better for its simulation characteristics, it seems more realistic to me. OTOH, G3's model selection is much better. WIth AFP you have an F-16, F-14 and a Boeing 747 - that's it as far as jets go although there are a few available as downloads on the net. I use my 9303 with AFP and while it takes some work in the advanced screens you can set all the controls like you want - brakes on a slider, flaps on a switch etc. For some reason the 9303's flight modes screw up the trims - activate flight modes and you get no ability to trim instead of trim on each mode. If you wanted brakes with down elevator you would do it exactly the same as in a plane - P-mix channel X to elevator in the Tx then assign channel X to the brake function in the advanced control setup screen on the PC.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jan 06, 2005, 01:55 PM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
53 Posts
AFP is by far the most advanced. If we are talking about 'realistic' flight and physics AFP is the best. There is a lot of downloadable plane for AFP in the net.

I tried G2 et G3 and the plane just dont fly like our....
Glorfindel is offline Find More Posts by Glorfindel
Old Jan 06, 2005, 03:08 PM
An Aussie in Canada
Belleville, Ontario.
Joined Sep 2003
545 Posts
Thanks for the feed back so far guy's, please keep the opinions coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel
AFP is by far the most advanced. If we are talking about 'realistic' flight and physics AFP is the best. There is a lot of downloadable plane for AFP in the net.

I tried G2 et G3 and the plane just dont fly like our....
Have you tried the MRC Reflex XTR? if so what are your thought compared with AFP....which one would be better for and has model jet simulation? The Reflex XTR seems to be favored among the prop flying modelers. Anyone know what Jet/models are featured on Reflex XTR???
Iam leaning toward the Reflex XTR, as everyone has said the neat thing with this one is the free downloadable upgades always coming out, but I would like to know more about its jet features and options?
Old Jan 06, 2005, 03:53 PM
JR - Feel The Difference
Bowling Green, KY
Joined Jun 2004
86 Posts
Buddy of mine is getting ready to purchase AeroFly Deluxe, I've looked them all, Aerofly seems to be the best. RealFlight IMHO Is nothing even close, except when flying helis. G2/G3 Cameras seem to be weird and the Reflex physics aren't there from videos that one of my fellow flyers showed me.

BTW all the updates and extra planes from Aerofly are free to if im not mistaken.
Skymac is offline Find More Posts by Skymac
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:15 PM
never fast enough !!!
old bridge, nj
Joined Nov 2004
258 Posts
MRC has no jets in it ...

as for G2 or 3 not being realistic ?? i'll dispute that ... The f-16 on the RealFlight sim flies exactly as my BVM f-16 did .... especially on landing, either on long smooth aproaches, or the power on high alpha drop in ones ... it also snaps out of turns when you yank the elevator too hard like the real BVM one ... I find the king cat characteristics to be quite similar also ...

G3 with the add ons makes the following jets available

a10
l39
kingcat
doublewhamy (pulsejet)
f-16
f-86
f-4
harrier
f-15

Wojtek
wojtek is offline Find More Posts by wojtek
Old Jan 06, 2005, 07:17 PM
fly'n low
Port Charlotte Fl
Joined Jul 2004
229 Posts
i cant say anything about mrc or afd ( havnt tried them), I do not like the camera angels in G2. as stated above i find it wierd aswell. I do not know about the G3, i havent tried it yet.
just my opinion.

Travis
Shaggy is offline Find More Posts by Shaggy
Old Jan 06, 2005, 07:46 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek
as for G2 or 3 not being realistic ?? i'll dispute that ...
Most of the aerobatic planes in G2 will do a knife edge loop by simply rolling it up on edge and stabing full rudder - no corrections or anything, they just pitch up and go over the top. That is not realistic. It isn't bad practice to keep your thumbs muscle memory but other than the typical sim problem of the plane getting to spec size in 100 yards the planes on G3 are FAR easier to fly than the real thing - IMHO...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:00 PM
An Aussie in Canada
Belleville, Ontario.
Joined Sep 2003
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek
MRC has no jets in it ...

Wojtek
Are you sure? a fellow over on RCCanada where I posted a similar thread showed some jets including the little Kyosho F86 a couple of sport jets, F14 F22 and a BAC Hawk. I just asked him if there are any others, hope to here back soon, heres some screen shots of the XTR jets he posted on RCC...
Last edited by Marty C.; Jan 06, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:13 PM
An Aussie in Canada
Belleville, Ontario.
Joined Sep 2003
545 Posts
1 more

MRC Reflex XTR looks the best for jets from what I have seen so far....
Last edited by Marty C.; Jan 06, 2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:47 PM
JR - Feel The Difference
Bowling Green, KY
Joined Jun 2004
86 Posts
Here are a few S/N's from AeroFly Pro Deluxe, might or might no have seen them.

You can go to google and type in "Ohio Model Products" and go to their website and find out alot about aerofly, they have some videos and more s/n's, etc.

As far as I think the G2 isn't that hot, I don't believe the Drag components and speed are quite right compared to the real thing, things just seem to just float around, no "p" factor involved as far a torque (not jets) seems to go or at least that thought. The videos I have seem with aerofly and Reflex seem to have more real camera angles aswell.
Skymac is offline Find More Posts by Skymac
Old Jan 07, 2005, 05:50 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,800 Posts
A strange thing happens when you try to find out about G2/3, Aerofly Pro Deluxe, and Reflex XTR. It seems there is a lot of hard competition between sim owners and of course vendors. Invariably, in many hours of research on this very subject, it all comes down to what you want in a sim. They all offer a little something different, some a little better than others in certain key areas.

This is a good discussion I've come across on this subject.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...x%2Cxtr/tm.htm
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2005, 07:44 PM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
53 Posts
I think that all of us are looking for realisim. Almost all the 3D man with their big gaser use AFP, it's simply the most realistic. same thing for the jet. I tried a couple of jet on G2 and i was very disapointed.

I'm not sposonred by any sim manufacturer. AFP is cheaper and you can use your radio it have better physics. You have less choice of plane. For me it's simply the best...

Wojec : i didnt say that G2/G3 are not realistic, but they are less than AFP, Did you ever compare both?? I did...
Glorfindel is offline Find More Posts by Glorfindel