HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:27 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
ITC Bladerunner Part 3

The second ITC Bladerunner thread is now over 1,000 posts long. I've closed it and started this thread. Please post away in this thread instead of that one.

Also please note that I've started a ITC Bladerunner FAQ Summary thread to summarize good techniques and tips. Please post anything good that develops in this or the original thread in that thread. I'll periodically delete discussion in the Summary thread to make it easier to find the information. Discussion should take place in this thread.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jan 05, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:55 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Just wanted to post over here that the BR's seem to be available at Wal-Mart over the past few weeks. No discout though.

The one I picked up has the better battery, wires in the tail boom and black carbon ring around the rotors but still the black canopy. Flight times are around 10-11 minutes without canopy and a little FF and piros.

My 7 year old son is getting better with each flight now. His instinct is to chop the throttle when in trouble and I have a hard time finding fault with that logic because even with a drop from 6-7' the BR is yet to break or even bend - there's just not enough mass to do much harm to itself

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:57 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Logging onto new thread. How much are they at Wal-mart? I have no safeways around here to get 'em for $20.

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Jan 05, 2005, 02:08 PM
SS AP'er!!
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
can't wait till the prices drop this low in the UK. would love to get a second! 3 threads.... darn good for a "toy" !!
pjblink is offline Find More Posts by pjblink
Old Jan 05, 2005, 02:20 PM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
Ill second that!
Im not a heli guy by any means because I always thought they were too far out of reach cost wise - but I have been flying mine for 3 days straight now and having the most awesome time with it! Ready for another if wal mart has em...
Pics show the stuff ive done to this one, removed body & replaced with paper/tape one, Catkiller, bent LG, custom Heli-pad!

Already repaired numerous times and still flying great with average 10 min flite times.
Hobiestoke is offline Find More Posts by Hobiestoke
Old Jan 05, 2005, 02:56 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeX2
.. For some reason my BL will spin counter-clockwise really fast. Full trim, reduced blade angle on top tried, but it continues to get worse.
If the BR spins left (CC), reducing the top blade angle makes it spin more to the left. You need to do the opposite.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Jan 05, 2005, 05:07 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I tried that but it just suddenly happened during flight. It was ok then started really spinning fast. I retrimmed the blades, the trim tab, but it only mildly helped. I think the bottom rotor motor isn't at full power. I just don't know what to do. I may check inside the motor, they probably have worn down?
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Jan 05, 2005, 05:18 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeX2
I tried that but it just suddenly happened during flight. It was ok then started really spinning fast. I retrimmed the blades, the trim tab, but it only mildly helped. I think the bottom rotor motor isn't at full power. I just don't know what to do. I may check inside the motor, they probably have worn down?
Is your problem, still that the BR spins left? If the bottom rotor slows down, the result is the BR would start spinning right not left. If it is a motor problem, then you should suspect the top motor.
Old Jan 05, 2005, 06:52 PM
Joined Dec 2004
14 Posts
I just ordered some motors from Goldmine. I soon will swap my endbells for the brushed style.

I am *somewhat* suprised that Interactive does not wish to provide some replacement motors for the BR. I realize that out of all of the purchasers, that we are a small minority (most are probably young and will trash it quick anyway) but you'd think that they would allow a buy in quantities of 100+ pieces. I would definately front some cash if we could arrange a large buy from them.

Any thoughts?

Also, I wonder why the heck that they didn't choose motors with carbon brushes. It would almost seem like a no brainer, after all people did spend $60+ on these things. You'd assume that they would last more than 40 flights...

Pics to follow...
Obsessive is offline Find More Posts by Obsessive
Old Jan 05, 2005, 07:08 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Obsessive -

It's a money thing probably - could only mean a few cents on each unit, but that translates to quite a few bucks when you do this over thousands of units.

Could be that Mabuchi spec'd this motor to the manufacturer and simply got it wrong or perhaps it's being used a little out of it's intended current draw (ie - the manufacturer could have been a few grams heavier than they planned, thus the motor is overworked)....

At any rate, most of the consumers are not interested in changing motors themselves, however the ones that want to all have congregated here

I'd be happy to find a carbon replacement that worked well.

I understand from some posts that the circuit can handle two lipos in series - - how would running a much milder motor (at a much lower current) work with the mixing and tail motor I wonder? Perhaps the weight of two cells would be too much then?

Some things to think about. I would happily upgrade my main motors and the tail motor with higher voltage units and two cells if it means long motor life and easy to find motors.

Steve
Old Jan 05, 2005, 07:34 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Hobiestoke -

Did you post a .gif file of your canopy before? If so I can't find it anywhere and would love to get a copy. Could you point me to the post or perhaps re-post a link here or in the FAQ Summary please?

Steve

PS - looks great!
Old Jan 05, 2005, 09:12 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Can someone help me get a pair of Safeway BRs that are on sale? Paypal ready....None around me..Mark
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked
Old Jan 05, 2005, 11:49 PM
Steve Chambers
Frederick, MD
Joined Dec 2004
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked
Can someone help me get a pair of Safeway BRs that are on sale? Paypal ready....None around me..Mark
I called a few dozen Safeway stores in my region today and they are all sold out

-steve
atomicweb is offline Find More Posts by atomicweb
Old Jan 05, 2005, 11:56 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicweb
I called a few dozen Safeway stores in my region today and they are all sold out

-steve
That serves you right, for cleaning them out before. I wonder how many calls safeway gets, each day, asking about the BR?
Old Jan 06, 2005, 12:27 AM
Steve Chambers
Frederick, MD
Joined Dec 2004
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
That serves you right, for cleaning them out before.
...in the end I only found 2 at Safeway that I bought. one for $35 and the other for $17. they have brass bushings, updated motors and larger ribs. older batterys (one is ok, and one is poor, the battery quality really varies even tho it is labeled at same part.) outside boom wires. smooth throttle (should I assume if I have smooth throttle that I also have better rudder trim?) white rotor rings (are the black rotor rings carbon fiber or just black fiberglass?) I did get a charger that does well at 4.18, my best out of my 3 BR/TX chargers. the other chargers are 4.15 (QVC version) and 4.05. Tomorrow I install Kokam 340s and cooling fins...

-steve
atomicweb is offline Find More Posts by atomicweb