HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a larger 1/8 scale Monocoupe 90a?
Yes 43 95.56%
No 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 01, 2005, 12:13 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdon
The only thing I'm curious about is the "N"(aircraft registration no.) of NX211.
I believe that's also the N no.for the Spirit Of St.Louis.
Maybe the feds let him use it again as the Sprit wasn't going to fly again or something.
Years ago; I was looking to try and find some records for an Aeronca Champ,
that had been brought into Canada. The aircraft records had been destroyed in a building fire; after the owner had informed the FAA that he had imported the aircraft into Canada. I contacted the FAA to see if they had any records, of this airplane. I was informed that the "N" # that I had for the airplane; had belonged to 3 different airplanes; none of them being the Champ in question, and that they would need to do a manual search, through the paper archives. (at an increased cost of course)
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2005, 11:08 PM
United States, NC, Belmont
Joined Mar 2004
454 Posts
Couple of questions if I may:
Arrow, How did you make the cowl "bumps"?
Zeke, Did you ever get that Cessna cowl with the bumps on it and if so how's it look?
Also I understand you'll get a glossier finish painting the adhesive side of the Doculam, then applying it-Have you tried that?
I'm thinking I'll paint up the fuse doculam black and the wing doculam orange, let it dry for a couple of days, iron it on, then mask it off and put the other colors on(on the non adhesive side).
What do you think?
The RV4 is getting old-I think the Monocoupe should be a piece of cake compared to it.
mgdon is offline Find More Posts by mgdon
Last edited by mgdon; Apr 01, 2005 at 11:09 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Apr 02, 2005, 12:27 AM
Joined Jan 2005
32 Posts
Zbrubaker & mgdon----
the pix were taken by a friend some time ago---every time I get to St louis (most for the monocoupe Fly-ins-I mean to go to the airport(Lambert field) and take some of my own-just never seem to get over there!)
Your both very welcome ! my pleasure! It depends on who you ask...cause there are those who swear that the blk and orange trim is/was a standard monocoupe scheme-my well have been ! I think the closer truth is it was the pilots choice what color they wanted--that was the flavor it got painted!
Good eyes , mgdon ! I've never thought about it----could it have been because it was Lindys "personal" number??-then again your theory sounds as plausable as mine !!
Zb....... your eyes are good too the rudder is a slightly different shape than the 90A--and the cowl definately is different-lambert 5 cyl. on the 90A and i think this had a 165 7cyl Warner on it......other thing is the D side windows became almost a heart like shape.-----but hey like I said its not a big deal..........the Blk and orange color scheme is my over all favorite--I'm working on a 1/4 scale project 90AL (flat four lycoming) that will be painted Blk & orange-a copy of one that lives in St Louis area...........
Cheers guys and keep building those Coupes !!
Clipwing is offline Find More Posts by Clipwing
Old Apr 02, 2005, 09:41 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Couple of questions if I may:
Arrow, How did you make the cowl "bumps"?
They are very clever cutouts in the shape of the bumps - very convincing!

Quote:
Zeke, Did you ever get that Cessna cowl with the bumps on it and if so how's it look?
Nope...never received them. I've emailed about it with no response.

Quote:
Also I understand you'll get a glossier finish painting the adhesive side of the Doculam, then applying it-Have you tried that?
I haven't tried that yet. Personally I'm not convinced that the adhesive will work as well when it's been covered with paint.

Quote:
I'm thinking I'll paint up the fuse doculam black and the wing doculam orange, let it dry for a couple of days, iron it on, then mask it off and put the other colors on(on the non adhesive side).
What do you think?
Try doing a test peice first. I would, but I don't have the time right now.
zbrubaker is online now Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Apr 07, 2005, 02:10 PM
UnAuthorized Personel
Sacramento, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
12 Posts
Hello Mr Z!
I was curious. Would you consider this a good plane for a beginner?
FLlGHTL0VER is offline Find More Posts by FLlGHTL0VER
Old Apr 07, 2005, 02:41 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLlGHTL0VER
Hello Mr Z!
I was curious. Would you consider this a good plane for a beginner?
I wouldn't recommend this if it was going to be a plane you were learning to fly with. It is a very easy plane to fly, but you'd want something a bit more crash resistant and easy to repair (slow stick, pico stick, IFO, etc...) when just begining, because you wiil crash - numerous times! (I know because I taught myself to fly). If you have a little experience under your belt and you'd like to try a balsa build, then this would be a good choice (among many others).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2005, 02:42 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,056 Posts
Arrow...when you gonna tell everyone about your maiden?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2005, 03:15 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker
Arrow...when you gonna tell everyone about your maiden?
The maiden flight that I'm intrested in is the one with flaps and ailerons.
I'm starting to see the light at the tunnel, (it's not a hole )on the current project i"m working on then I'll be able to start mine
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Apr 07, 2005, 05:25 PM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Hey Z, what about as a second balsa build? From the thread it looks to me like a pretty good choice.

-Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker
I wouldn't recommend this if it was going to be a plane you were learning to fly with. It is a very easy plane to fly, but you'd want something a bit more crash resistant and easy to repair (slow stick, pico stick, IFO, etc...) when just begining, because you wiil crash - numerous times! (I know because I taught myself to fly). If you have a little experience under your belt and you'd like to try a balsa build, then this would be a good choice (among many others).
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Apr 07, 2005, 05:39 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,056 Posts
Hi Scott,

If you built and flown a balsa plane already, I think you would be very pleased with the 90A.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2005, 10:07 PM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
85% built on the Switchback, not yet flown. Flying is down the road, but right now I am surprisedly finding that I am really enjoying building balsa planes. I already told the wife that the 90A was what I wanted for my birthday, so if you don't hear from her soon, let me know. ;-)

Like I said, it looks like it will be a little more involved then the switch from a build side, yet not overly complex. That and its just a nice sweet looking plane.

-Scott
Old Apr 07, 2005, 10:21 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ
85% built on the Switchback, not yet flown. Flying is down the road, but right now I am surprisedly finding that I am really enjoying building balsa planes. I already told the wife that the 90A was what I wanted for my birthday, so if you don't hear from her soon, let me know. ;-)

Like I said, it looks like it will be a little more involved then the switch from a build side, yet not overly complex. That and its just a nice sweet looking plane.

-Scott
You'll be getting your birthday present in a couple of days then. Your 'present' is all boxed up and will be shipping out tomorrow. The instruction manuals can be downloaded from my website. I'm always happy to answer any questions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2005, 01:40 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,160 Posts

Hey Z, How about pushing the cessna 206 to spring 2005 and pushing the 336 back to fall. Love those streched cessnas.

Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Apr 08, 2005, 07:11 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan
Hey Z, How about pushing the cessna 206 to spring 2005 and pushing the 336 back to fall. Love those streched cessnas.

Scott
No can do on that one Scott. The design is finalized and prototype #2 is nearly complete. The 206 is still in the design stage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2005, 09:28 AM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Z, good to know lol. I will probably shoot some pics and do a little build thread on it from a new to RC standpoint.

-Scott!